• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Spurs v Dortmund

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
True, but none of those clubs want winter breaks or reduced number of PL matches by making the PL just 18 teams.
Whenever the FA have suggested such things the clubs say no, so it's a bit rich for them to complain about scheduling especially when the refuse these suggestions because they want to continue raking in the most profits from TV etc that the PL has been for years now..

I think that the chairmen and the managers of 'the clubs' may not always have the same opinion on these matters.

Maybe the NLD could have been postponed, but that's probably the only thing that could have been done to improve things for us. Part of the problem is surely that there's no incentive for the PL clubs to help one another in that respect; in fact, quite the opposite -- they're happy to see others struggle. Why was the Manchester derby shifted?

Could have been played Saturday maybe? These days there are TV slots all over the place so I dont buy the TV argument.

As I said, its in the leagues interest that its clubs represent well in europe, keep all that lovely advertising and sponsorship money coming in - they really should be more accommodating of teams in these competitions.

Maybe the NLD could have been postponed, but that's probably the only thing that could have been done to improve things for us. Part of the problem is surely that there's no incentive for the PL clubs to help one another in that respect; in fact, quite the opposite -- they're happy to see others struggle. Why was the Manchester derby shifted?

Manchester Derby was shifted because it was due to be played when they are both playing in the FA cup; same reason (and weekend) that our game vs Palace has been moved

Could have been played Saturday maybe? These days there are TV slots all over the place so I dont buy the TV argument.

As I said, its in the leagues interest that its clubs represent well in europe, keep all that lovely advertising and sponsorship money coming in - they really should be more accommodating of teams in these competitions.

Yeah, but most club chairmen aren't going to look beyond "Why should we help out a rival?" They're all greedy for themselves. It's something that would need to be mandated by the FA, I think.

Yeah, but most club chairmen aren't going to look beyond "Why should we help out a rival?" They're all greedy for themselves. It's something that would need to be mandated by the FA, I think.

Which is why the league/FA need to weigh in. It shouldnt be something that can be used strategically to help another teams domestic form.

Ultimately if EPL teams do really well in the CL then all the teams in the EPL win.

Its part of the reason why the revenues being offered are so high.

So, we go into this CL Round of 16 2nd leg match against Dortmund in bad form, winless in 3 matches. Normally a 3-0 lead from the first leg is enough to win any matches. But with our past record with such leads and our current bad form, we cannot get complacent. Fortunately for us, Dortmund are in bad form as well, winning 1, drawing 1 and losing 1 since playing against us. Since Dortmund are playing at home in this match, they will be fired up to save their pride. I think we need to get at least 1 goal to progress to the next stage.

Our current bad form is puzzling. We did well to beat Dortmund 3-0 at home in the first leg without Kane. But we are winless in 3 matches since Kane returned from injuries. Pochettino badly needs to find a solution for this. We will be in trouble if we played like our last 3 league matches. Can't see this match finishing in 0-0. So, can see us needing at least 1 goal to help us progress. Kane has scored 2 goals since he returned from injury problems. Let's hope Kane can score in this match. Apart from Kane, we also need our attacking players like Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Moura and Llorente to contribute as needed.

We need a big performance form our midfield. Our options seems limited in midfield with only Sissoko and Wnks fully fit while Wanyama and Dier struggling with injuries. Regardless of who start in midfield, we need to keep it tight and avoid giving away possession in midfield. Dortmund have players who can hurt us if they are free to do as they like in midfield. Hope we can control the midfield to stop them.

Our defence need to have a perfect match. Can see Dortmund putting pressure on our defence whole match. Don't want us to use the error-prone Sanchez or Foyth. We should only play our normal defence of Vertonghen and Alderweireld. We should avoid making silly mistakes and concentrate fully in defence. Don't want any of our defenders getting too ambitious by joining our attack too much. We need Lloris to concentrate fully whole match. We cannot get complacent as any small mistake can put us under undue pressure. Hope our defence will help us stop Dortmund.

Can see this being another tense match even with us leading 3-0. Dortmund will be fired up from the start. We should do all we can to stop them. At the same time, we need at least 1 goal to help us progress comfortably. Let's hope we will turn up with the right team and mentality to overcome Dortmund and progress to the CL quarter finals.

I have to say our defence are scaring me atm; we seems to always have someone lining up to offer a brainfart within the first 15/20 mins...scared as to who it will be tonight:eek:

Everybody dance now!

Our mentality is going to be really important against Dortmund. We cannot get complacent even with a 3-0 lead and should treat them with due respect. After all, they are German who are known to have mental strengths. i think we need to avoid conceding early which will put pressure on us. Instead, it will help us greatly if we can score an early goal which will settle our nerves. Let's hope we will put up a convincing performance and do enough to progress to the CL quarter finals.

I'm sorry but can anyone outline what EXACTLY the FA can/could do?
Clubs are happy to take the extra TV cash so cannot complain above matches being moved.

But in the recent weeks what exactly could the FA have done?
There was absolutely no reason for us to play on Sunday before the home game! And that applies to many other times when PL clubs play on sunday before a CL game, for no reason in particular. He's raising the issue on a GENERAL basis, not just for this specific game.

There was absolutely no reason for us to play on Sunday before the home game! And that applies to many other times when PL clubs play on sunday before a CL game, for no reason in particular. He's raising the issue on a GENERAL basis, not just for this specific game.

Yes, i said him raising it before the first leg as he did made some sense. Raising it now BEFORE the second leg does not. Raising it AFTER the second leg - especially if we're through - is fine.
We had 10 days before we played brick vs Burnley; what did Poch say about that?

I'm sorry but can anyone outline what EXACTLY the FA can/could do?
Clubs are happy to take the extra TV cash so cannot complain above matches being moved.

But in the recent weeks what exactly could the FA have done?
They could have moved the Burnley game forward, then that would have allowed them to move the Chelsea game forward, and we could have played the goons last Weds.

Burnley to the 17th, Chelski to the 23rd, Goons 27th

Or Burnley pushed out to later in the season and split the time difference between the other two.

Hilarious! So when would Chelsea have played their league cup final?:D
And what about the 10 day gap before Burnley, when we proceeded to play like brick: should the FA try not to give us too much of a gap as well?:p

Yes, i said him raising it before the first leg as he did made some sense. Raising it now BEFORE the second leg does not. Raising it AFTER the second leg - especially if we're through - is fine.
We had 10 days before we played brick vs Burnley; what did Poch say about that?
That's got nothing to do with it. That was a freak occurrence. PL teams CONSTANTLY have fewer days rest before CL/EL games than teams from Germany, Italy, Spain and France, because in those countries, the federation actually tries to HELP their teams, by i.e letting them play on a Friday if next game is Tuesday, or Saturday instead of Sunday when they play next Wednesday. FA/PL NEVER does that. THAT's the issue. Us playing cheatski on Wednesday was because of the idiotic League cup, a second (rate) domestic cup competition, which NO other top league has!

Back