• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The managerial candidates

THE CANDITATES

LOUIS VAN GAAL
Set the foundations for Bayern and Barca. No its not a myth
http://www.search-document.com/pdf/1/2/louie-van-gaal-training-exercises.html

FRANK DE BOER
A younger version of LVG, maybe more dynamic and definitely more likeable. Plays my favourite formation - 4123
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=305676.0

BIELSA
Tactical Innovator. As Pep sais "the best coach in the world"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...a-employ-the-most-bizarre-tactics-in-football

MAURICIO POCHETTINO
Bielsas understudy, pretty much a carbon copy. Likes his teams to press high

GLENN HODDLE
Club legend, sometimes sounds like a genius sometimes sounds like he's stuck in a time machine. The question will always be there….. what would he be like with a good team/budget. I like what he said about Bayern/Pep
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...glenn-hoddle-says-spanish-side-now-favourites

THE OVER-RATED

CARLO ANCELOTTI
Yes he's won alot, yes he is good. He isn't however THAT good. I watched Madrid alot this year and they genuinely look like Spurs under AVB minus the talent. Madrid set up terribly and seem to have no purpose, no player rotation, no nothing. Just great players to get them through games. CA seems to have jumped on the 4231 band wagon for the sake of it. The way he restricts Modric is criminal. Any Spurs fan will know that having him sit alongside Alsono so rigidly is massively underplaying him. It infuriates me he has no licence to roam and dictate like he can.

JURGEN KLOPP
The german Kevin Keegan. Dortmund are where they should be. Second! Big deal! They spend loads and there is no body else to compete with them other than the team who….. is above them. Klopp openly admitted in a video interview that playing attractive football is more important than winning.

JURGEN KILNSMANN
Never done anything exceptional, in fact has always been superseded by the managers who took his place and did better with same squad. Just because he played for us and was amazing (my 3rd all time favourite Spurs player)? Lets hire Paul Gascoigne then.

JOACHIM LEOW
See above. Except he didn't play for us

THE OTHERS

Rafa Benitez
David Moyes
Roberto Martinez
Capello
Laurent Blanc

THE JURY IS OUT

BRENDEN ROGERS
Lets see how he deals with more than one game a week next season.

WHO?

LUCIAN FAVRE
Aint got a clue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY CHOICE

If we don't get LVG, I will cancel SKY, cancel season ticket and hide in a cave for a few years. This man, even if he comes for 5 minutes will TRANSFORM US.
I am looking for 2 things in our new manager 1) A philosophy 2) most importantly a winners mentality. The effect he will have on the club as a whole will last forever. His tactics, youth policy and stature will keep us going for a long time after he's gone. He has to come.

2nd choice would be FDB. If given a 5 year contract and freedom could POTENTIALLY be another LVG or PEP.

3rd choice would be Pochettino. May not have a winners mentality but definitely has a philosophy. Our team will go on the pitch every game with purpose. Plus Im fed up of seeing us not press. I have faith he on his way to big things once he gets a better team and masters the language.

Bielsa is not on my list due to his lack of English, same with Capello. Otherwise they would make my top 5.

Rafa Benitez does have a philosophy but not one I want. Plus he will get bullied by Mourinho again. He has zero personality and doesn't win the respect of many players. He tries too hard and is very uptight.

Klopp - is going nowhere.
Klinsmann - is going nowhere.
CA - can go to UTD.

Moyes - hahahahahaha.

Martinez - wouldn't mind but wouldn't be excited either.

Blanc - tactically naive.

Glenn Hoddle - maybe, just to see what would happen.

For me its LVG or FDB. Otherwise I give up.

Last edited:
I'm sure that he said that he was a fan of Hoddle, not necessarily of Spurs.

One may argue he only made that revelation after he became an Arsenal legend. If he never left Inter for Arsenal, I dare say his biography may have said something different.

Re: The managerial candidates

Why do people always talk about Klinsmann? he is a **** coach and we were not a big enough club for him a few years back so **** him.

lol I like how you've casually labelled Ancelotti and Klopp ([-() as overrated, but I probably agree with the final ordering.

I would add Benitez to the list, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next guy in charge.

There's a though...if Tim was in charge of kits, and kit design, what would it look like?

Most likely red shirts with white shorts.

The shirts would be crop tops because nobody needs the middle bits and the shorts would have holes all over them. They'd look ok for the first week or two but would rapidly deteriorate to ****.

They'd all come with a detachable Velcro gilet for tearing off and throwing whenever you get angry.

Or stick with Sherwood who has proven to get results in a small amount of games but still has question marks over him

Quick hypothetical:

Say United go for Martinez from Everton (unlikely, I know) and we get LvG.

Would people argue that one of the best possible options available for Everton would be Tim Sherwood?

I really feel it's more of a "well, he's here already, why not" type attitude. I see no rational reason to think that Sherwood should be rated alongside some of the names we've been linked to.

THE CANDITATES

LOUIS VAN GAAL
Set the foundations for Bayern and Barca. No its not a myth
http://www.search-document.com/pdf/1/2/louie-van-gaal-training-exercises.html

FRANK DE BOER
A younger version of LVG, maybe more dynamic and definitely more likeable. Plays my favourite formation - 4123
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=305676.0

BIELSA
Tactical Innovator. As Pep sais "the best coach in the world"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...a-employ-the-most-bizarre-tactics-in-football

MAURICIO POCHETTINO
Bielsas understudy, pretty much a carbon copy. Likes his teams to press high

GLENN HODDLE
Club legend, sometimes sounds like a genius sometimes sounds like he's stuck in a time machine. The question will always be there….. what would he be like with a good team/budget. I like what he said about Bayern/Pep
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...glenn-hoddle-says-spanish-side-now-favourites

THE OVER-RATED

CARLO ANCELOTTI
Yes he's won alot, yes he is good. He isn't however THAT good. I watched Madrid alot this year and they genuinely look like Spurs under AVB minus the talent. Madrid set up terribly and seem to have no purpose, no player rotation, no nothing. Just great players to get them through games. CA seems to have jumped on the 4231 band wagon for the sake of it. The way he restricts Modric is criminal. Any Spurs fan will know that having him sit alongside Alsono so rigidly is massively underplaying him. It infuriates me he has no licence to roam and dictate like he can.

JURGEN KLOPP
The german Kevin Keegan. Dortmund are where they should be. Second! Big deal! They spend loads and there is no body else to compete with them other than the team who….. is above them. Klopp openly admitted in a video interview that playing attractive football is more important than winning.

JURGEN KILNSMANN
Never done anything exceptional, in fact has always been superseded by the managers who took his place and did better with same squad. Just because he played for us and was amazing (my 3rd all time favourite Spurs player)? Lets hire Paul Gascoigne then.

JOACHIM LEOW
See above. Except he didn't play for us

THE OTHERS

Rafa Benitez
David Moyes
Roberto Martinez
Capello
Laurent Blanc

THE JURY IS OUT

BRENDEN ROGERS
Lets see how he deals with more than one game a week next season.

WHO?

LUCIAN FAVRE
Aint got a clue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY CHOICE

If we don't get LVG, I will cancel SKY, cancel season ticket and hide in a cave for a few years. This man, even if he comes for 5 minutes will TRANSFORM US.
I am looking for 2 things in our new manager 1) A philosophy 2) most importantly a winners mentality. The effect he will have on the club as a whole will last forever. His tactics, youth policy and stature will keep us going for a long time after he's gone. He has to come.

2nd choice would be FDB. If given a 5 year contract and freedom could POTENTIALLY be another LVG or PEP.

3rd choice would be Pochettino. May not have a winners mentality but definitely has a philosophy. Our team will go on the pitch every game with purpose. Plus Im fed up of seeing us not press. I have faith he on his way to big things once he gets a better team and masters the language.

Bielsa is not on my list due to his lack of English, same with Capello. Otherwise they would make my top 5.

Rafa Benitez does have a philosophy but not one I want. Plus he will get bullied by Mourinho again. He has zero personality and doesn't win the respect of many players. He tries too hard and is very uptight.

Klopp - is going nowhere.
Klinsmann - is going nowhere.
CA - can go to UTD.

Moyes - hahahahahaha.

Martinez - wouldn't mind but wouldn't be excited either.

Blanc - tactically naive.

Glenn Hoddle - maybe, just to see what would happen.

For me its LVG or FDB. Otherwise I give up.

Good summary.

I disagree completely on Klopp, but that's for another day and another thread and we can't get him anyway.

LvG as a clear number one. FdB and Pochettino along with a handful of others in a close group after that.

Poch Poch Poch Poch.

I've been researching this guy and I think he would be a legendary appointment by Spurs. Hopefully if it did happen, he'd bring Lallana & Lovren with him (probably too much to hope for Shaw)

Not that we should pay much attention, but some of the 'ITK's' on twitter reckon we met with Spaletti this week.

Poch Poch Poch Poch.

I've been researching this guy and I think he would be a legendary appointment by Spurs. Hopefully if it did happen, he'd bring Lallana & Lovren with him (probably too much to hope for Shaw)

Not that we should pay much attention, but some of the 'ITK's' on twitter reckon we met with Spaletti this week.

I would take Schneiderlin too!

Go on NWND, massive long post with all your Poch research! You know you want to! :)

Still utterly baffled as to why people like Pochettino so much. Okay, if we're guaranteed Lovren and Lallana when he arrives, then maybe, just maybe he'll be worth it. However, we all know that football doesn't work that way, so why are so many of us so eager to appoint this man as our manager? Genuinely curious, there must be a good reason for why he's such a good option. As far as I can tell, he's never won anything, has kept Southampton around where they should be given their relatively heavy spending and is known only for having them play pretty football, which in itself doesn't help him beat the top sides (Southampton have lost twice against US!) and which has garnered him a win percentage, both at Southampton and Espanyol, of 33.3 percent.

Like I said, LvG or Rafa. They're both about even (well, maybe LvG is ever so slightly above Rafa) and both have a history of winning trophy after trophy and creating formidable sides with limited resources (LvG built Ajax in the 90's, and took AZ Alkmaar to the title a while ago: similarly, Rafa built disproportionately dangerous sides at Valencia (two league titles), Liverpool (CL + FA Cup) and now at Napoli (3rd place + Coppa Italia final in his first season). Barring those two, I'd take Conte, if he'd come (extremely unlikely).

If we can't get any of those three, then it's time to look at the likes of Lucien Favre, Joachim Low and (despite the hoax) Thomas Tuchel: men who haven't really set the world alight but who have solid records and are tactically astute, and who ahve demonstrated their ability to beat sides bigger than the ones they've managed over the course of their careers. And if we can't get any of those guys either, then and only then should we go for Pochettino, imo.

Still utterly baffled as to why people like Pochettino so much. Okay, if we're guaranteed Lovren and Lallana when he arrives, then maybe, just maybe he'll be worth it. However, we all know that football doesn't work that way, so why are so many of us so eager to appoint this man as our manager? Genuinely curious, there must be a good reason for why he's such a good option. As far as I can tell, he's never won anything, has kept Southampton around where they should be given their relatively heavy spending and is known only for having them play pretty football, which in itself doesn't help him beat the top sides (Southampton have lost twice against US!) and which has garnered him a win percentage, both at Southampton and Espanyol, of 33.3 percent.

Like I said, LvG or Rafa. They're both about even (well, maybe LvG is ever so slightly above Rafa) and both have a history of winning trophy after trophy and creating formidable sides with limited resources (LvG built Ajax in the 90's, and took AZ Alkmaar to the title a while ago: similarly, Rafa built disproportionately dangerous sides at Valencia (two league titles), Liverpool (CL + FA Cup) and now at Napoli (3rd place + Coppa Italia final in his first season). Barring those two, I'd take Conte, if he'd come (extremely unlikely).

If we can't get any of those three, then it's time to look at the likes of Lucien Favre, Joachim Low and (despite the hoax) Thomas Tuchel: men who haven't really set the world alight but who have solid records and are tactically astute, and who ahve demonstrated their ability to beat sides bigger than the ones they've managed over the course of their careers. And if we can't get any of those guys either, then and only then should we go for Pochettino, imo.

Pochettino had less than no resources at Espanyol. His spending at Southampton has been relatively high perhaps, but nothing out of the ordinary. I listed the mid-table and lower-half teams that had spent £20m or more previously, it's not uncommon.

Comparably I think Rafa's spending at Liverpool was considerable. I don't think there were many clubs out of the top 4 that had a higher net spend or a bigger wage budget. Liverpool got themselves into serious financial problems under Benitez didn't they? Benitez has had a solid £25m net spend in his first season at Napoli, a season when they sold Cavani of course, but signed a ton of players. And they finished second the season before he came, not sure how big an achievement it is to then have a bigger net spend than your competitors (I think) and finish third? At the very least the criticism you aim at Pochettino should be valid here too.

And, as said previously, Pochettino's Southampton beat City, Chelsea and Liverpool last season. He clearly qualifies in that last of your criteria.

Most likely red shirts with white shorts.

The shirts would be crop tops because nobody needs the middle bits and the shorts would have holes all over them. They'd look ok for the first week or two but would rapidly deteriorate to ****.

They'd all come with a detachable Velcro gilet for tearing off and throwing whenever you get angry.

Lol brilliant

Back