• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exactly, if Levy was talking to LVG, he was talking to others (nobody interviews one person for a job).

Re Chancer's comments on the press release, anybody actually think Levy gives a **** about the media in the short term? did his firing of BMJ, Harry, AVB teach people nothing?

Media release #1 - Club has reached a decision with TS to part company, we wish to thank him for his hard work and wish him all future success -> done
Media release #2 - Club is pleased to announce "future victim #7" as the new manager

That's it .. we are not a PLC, Levy is as much a dictator as RA @Cheat$ki and can do what the **** he wants ..

Ah here, hang on, my point wasn't literally about bloody press releases. I wasn't talking about media management, I was talking about the underlying substance behind any press release/public pronouncements we'd have to make.

And that underlying substance being: anyone who isn't LvG, CA, FSW or FdB would be a 2nd tier, compromise, "best we could do" choice. And everyone would know it.

I only mentioned press releases because they would be the most obvious and public demonstration of the difficulty we'd have pretending we were happy with someone who isn't LvG, CA, FSW or FdB. We shouldn't be happy with anyone who isn't at that level, Sherwood included. But we are where we are and if we can't get those guys my point all along is, above all, don't fukking panic and rush out and appoint Ramos Mk II or AVB Mk II. Better to wait 1 season for someone we want than waste 3 seasons finding out what we already knew - that we had appointed a 2nd rater all along.

What logic gets you there?

Isn't it possible that Levy is waiting on LvG's decision, but he's decided that Sherwood is gone regardless and that the process to identify the 2nd choice behind LvG is well underway?

I'm pretty sure FDB is lined up as 2nd choice. We seemingly spoke to him in January and he also said 'yes I'd be interested, but at the end of the season'. As he's a protégé of LVG, he's probably more inclined to accept being a plan b to him as well.

Nothing there to point to Allegri over Spalletti...

Other than some random Italian newspaper article...

Spalletti would have taken the job in December/January if offered it. It had already then been accepted that this would be his last season at Zenit (both parties felt the situation was going a bit stale). If he was a contender, he'd already be in post (is my logic on him anyway).

I think his time at Bayern may have ended his flirtations with club management for a while. He seems to enjoy the part time aspect of international management, as with Germany he could still live in America

Apparently his tactics and coaching left a lot to be desired; the players were apparently meeting amongst themselves to work out tactics and plan for games

Klinsmann was a pretty big failure at Bayern and is I would say a poor coach (he's only done well when he's had coaches, like Loew, working underneath him).

But what he did restructuring German football a decade ago was remarkable.

He's definitely someone for upstairs, rather than in the dugout/training pitch.

If we keep Sherwood, are people prepared to see all of Verts, Lloris, Sandro, Lamela, Dembele, Capoue, Holtby, Chirches and possibly now Eriksen leave?

Because they are the senior players he's already alienated or who will demand to play for a professional manager.

And they'll be replaced by youth teamers and a few 'character' players like Milner and Lescott.

We need a coach who can work with our squad, not someone who despises 90% of it.

Wow.... that's some crystal ball you have there....

My thoughts on the above are:

I would have no issue with Capoue or Chirches leaving. Neither have shown me that they will be anything better than squad players at our club so we might as well use the fees that they would bring in to strengthen one or two first team positions. I think Holtby would happily come back, I think Sherwood did a good thing for his career allowing him to move on loan so that he could get more games and experience of the English league.

Personally I feel that Eriksen has played by far his best football for Spurs under Sherwood - who has found a way of freeing him from most of his defensive duties, enabling him to find space around the opposition's penalty area. It seems to me that he is happy playing under Sherwood. I can't see him leaving any time soon, especially if Sherwood stays.

I don't think Sherwood staying or going will have any real affect on Lamela's future. He has been injured for just about the entire spell of Sherwood's reign after our previous manager did an absolutely woeful job of incorporating him into our team. I think Lamela will want to leave if he feels that his game isn't suited to English football irrespective of who the manager is. I am hoping that Lamala has more fight than that though - we'll see this summer I guess.

Dembele staying or going is another that I don't think will be manager specific. I think he will stay unless a silly bid comes in that our manager (whoever he may be) feels could be put to better use. His game time under Sherwood has been affected by various injuries.

I think Lloris staying or going will not depend on bit on who manages us next season. I think it will solely depend on whether PSG, Barca or Real Madrid publically come after him and offer him huge money. If any of them do then I think he'll push to go irrespective of whether it's Sherwood or LVG managing us.

I think Vertonghen will be off unless the new coach we bring in is Dutch - and even then it may depend on which clubs go in for him - but if any of the big boys come in for him then I think we'll lose him irrespective of who our new manager is. In fact I would be extremely surpised if Vertonghen is not lining up as Man Utd's first choice centre half next season.

So that leaves Sandro.... and from what I've seen it doesn't look like his relationship with Sherwood is particularly 'broken'. Not like the AVB - Adebayor one for example.

As an aside - your comment about 'character players' like Milner or Lescott. I reckon Milner and Lescott would've done a FAR better job for us this season then Lamela and Chirches.

What logic gets you there?

Isn't it possible that Levy is waiting on LvG's decision, but he's decided that Sherwood is gone regardless and that the process to identify the 2nd choice behind LvG is well underway?

The logic that states that Sherwood's results have been better than avbs this year and avb wouldnt have been sacked (left by mutual consent) if he didn't throw the towel in post Liverpool. He has also integrated youth which I'm sure levy would love and his team scored 3 goals in 8 of his 19 games as opposed to avb 18 months to do the same (with bale).

I'm not a Sherwood lover he does and says some stupid things (Liverpool still makes me shudder) but results wise he has done well. So its not all cut and dried unless a very OBVIOUS upgrade is available with small risks.

People talk of the Southampton manager and tbh he does seem to have something about him....but he has done nothing to suggest that hr is a better shout then somebody already here and getting results.

maybe not the first consideration, but when Levy is lying in bed at night plotting what his next move is, at some point it must cross his mind that he has tried English, French, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese to find the magic solution, so why not now give an Italian a go..you may doubt but you cannot say with 100% certainty that i am wrong either:)

Not exactly a good reason to believe that something is true...

The logic that states that Sherwood's results have been better than avbs this year and avb wouldnt have been sacked (left by mutual consent) if he didn't throw the towel in post Liverpool. He has also integrated youth which I'm sure levy would love and his team scored 3 goals in 8 of his 19 games as opposed to avb 18 months to do the same (with bale).

I'm not a Sherwood lover he does and says some stupid things (Liverpool still makes me shudder) but results wise he has done well. So its not all cut and dried unless a very OBVIOUS upgrade is available with small risks.

People talk of the Southampton manager and tbh he does seem to have something about him....but he has done nothing to suggest that hr is a better shout then somebody already here and getting results.

I think Sherwood was given the job with a pretty clear understanding, or at least intention from Levy, that he would have to do exceptionally well to keep his job past this season. Quite simply because the reasons he got the job in the first place was a very particular set of circumstances. Given a normal between seasons new manager decision Sherwood wouldn't have gotten the job. I don't think his results or performances have been exceptional.

Nothing that you say makes it clear that your original statement that "the new man has been agreed already" for Sherwood to be done. It's just a short list of some of the positives about Sherwood.

Did you read my previous post about Pochettino including the quotes from a few articles from when he took over at Southampton? He's done nothing to suggest that he's a better shout than Sherwood? Really? Nothing?

I'm pretty sure FDB is lined up as 2nd choice. We seemingly spoke to him in January and he also said 'yes I'd be interested, but at the end of the season'. As he's a protégé of LVG, he's probably more inclined to accept being a plan b to him as well.

Spalletti would have taken the job in December/January if offered it. It had already then been accepted that this would be his last season at Zenit (both parties felt the situation was going a bit stale). If he was a contender, he'd already be in post (is my logic on him anyway).

Could be. But remember that when/if we approached FdB there might have been other managers that weren't available or that we weren't given permission to talk to or something. I don't think it's as clear cut as you think that FdB is our second choice, although I wouldn't be unhappy if he is.

According to Wiki Spalletti was sacked in March, not sure he would have been available to take over directly after AVB. Also remember that there's a real chance that LvG was and is Levy's clear first choice candidate. He might have someone like Spalletti high up a shortlist, but even if he could take over immediately feel that waiting for LvG would be worth the trouble. If we then fail to get LvG it's back to the drawing board.

If Sherwood gets replaced the new manager will partly be about brand and reflecting the Spurs brand. Had Sherwood not already been here and a convenient stop gap solution it is most unlikely he would have been appointed.

We would have gone for someone with a higher profile, and with experience/track-record (ie not another AVB type) and that is what I expect we will do this time. So not Pochettino.

the only thing that makes me a little apprehensive about fdb is that i watched salzburg under the (then) non-fashionable roger schmidt absolutely play them off the park. schmidt has had moderate success with paderborn in germany, and now broken all kinds of records in austria. so why not him?

of course i'm being a bit awkward purposefully, the gravitas and respect de boer has throughout the game, the playing career behind him etc add to the attractiveness of the appointment. but it certainly wouldn't be without huge risks.

then again, dortmund appointed klopp after he had failed to get mainz promoted from the second division (admittedly he did superb work for years with the club before that) so maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere for us?

i've been waving the thomas tuchel flag for a while now, but i can't help but think he would be an incredibly astute and sly appointment. it would be a bit left field, and might just prove to be a stroke of genius. i think he has everything we need and are looking for.

if we're going big, then i'd have us throw everything into a bid for benitez. i think of managers we could possibly attract, none would be as close to guaranteeing (relative) success as rafa.

Ah here, hang on, my point wasn't literally about bloody press releases. I wasn't talking about media management, I was talking about the underlying substance behind any press release/public pronouncements we'd have to make.

And that underlying substance being: anyone who isn't LvG, CA, FSW or FdB would be a 2nd tier, compromise, "best we could do" choice. And everyone would know it.

I only mentioned press releases because they would be the most obvious and public demonstration of the difficulty we'd have pretending we were happy with someone who isn't LvG, CA, FSW or FdB. We shouldn't be happy with anyone who isn't at that level, Sherwood included. But we are where we are and if we can't get those guys my point all along is, above all, don't fukking panic and rush out and appoint Ramos Mk II or AVB Mk II. Better to wait 1 season for someone we want than waste 3 seasons finding out what we already knew - that we had appointed a 2nd rater all along.

Harry to me wouldn't even have been a best we can do, yet look how that turned out.

I think we have a much better squad than people (including you) appreciate, hence part of why TS has been moderately successful re points.

A top tier coach would be great, but an experienced coach without huge red flags (e.g.inability to speak the language, AVB's car crash at Cheat$ki, TS's complete lack of experience), could still do a very good jon here.

the only thing that makes me a little apprehensive about fdb is that i watched salzburg under the (then) non-fashionable roger schmidt absolutely play them off the park. schmidt has had moderate success with paderborn in germany, and now broken all kinds of records in austria. so why not him?

of course i'm being a bit awkward purposefully, the gravitas and respect de boer has throughout the game, the playing career behind him etc add to the attractiveness of the appointment. but it certainly wouldn't be without huge risks.

then again, dortmund appointed klopp after he had failed to get mainz promoted from the second division (admittedly he did superb work for years with the club before that) so maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere for us?

i've been waving the thomas tuchel flag for a while now, but i can't help but think he would be an incredibly astute and sly appointment. it would be a bit left field, and might just prove to be a stroke of genius. i think he has everything we need and are looking for.

if we're going big, then i'd have us throw everything into a bid for benitez. i think of managers we could possibly attract, none would be as close to guaranteeing (relative) success as rafa.

What you get with FDB is a system of play. Who knows how things would pan out with him in charge, or with anyone else for that matter, but Ajax as a club is a model we should aspire to. There are other considerations though...
media_xl_1321052.jpg

I agree with you that Tuchel should at least be considered.

Anyone have Baldini's email address? Could we start a twitter campaign?

I agree with you that Tuchel should at least be considered.

Anyone have Baldini's email address? Could we start a twitter campaign?

Just start a thread saying we are talking to him on two message boards, the media will report it as truth, and Levy/Baldini will hear/read it.

Harry to me wouldn't even have been a best we can do, yet look how that turned out.

I think we have a much better squad than people (including you) appreciate, hence part of why TS has been moderately successful re points.

A top tier coach would be great, but an experienced coach without huge red flags (e.g.inability to speak the language, AVB's car crash at Cheat$ki, TS's complete lack of experience), could still do a very good jon here.

I don't under-appreciate our squad at all - I think it's excellent. Don't think I've ever said otherwise, save for obvious problems at LB/CB that we all agree on.

As a matter of interest, who are the non-red flag coaches you're referring to?

Just start a thread saying we are talking to him on two message boards, the media will report it as truth, and Levy/Baldini will hear/read it.

He's right. I got a rumour into the Standard saying that we were approaching Mourinho (this is before he joined Chelsea) by doing pretty much that. They even lifted my made up quotes.

Back