• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hospital visit

You will be fine. I'm not in the least bit religious but I'll ask my mum to pray for you if/when she goes church.

Might sound silly and all that but that is the most I could ever ask of anyone and it really does mean a lot thank you buddy.

Had a pre assessment today. Op is in around 2 weeks and the surgeons have decided that my tumour is too deep into the kidney so they've recommended a total removal of my kidney opposed to partial removal. Keyhole surgery which is good and the op is 2.5 hours long.

A family member had to have a kidney removed. In all seriousness, he said it's the best thing that ever happened to him - it's made him lead a healthier lifestyle than he ever would have before and enjoys life all the more for it.

Google is my friend

3. The more modern keyhole method of removing the kidney involves having
three or four 1cm cuts. A thin tube with a light and a camera on the end (a
laparoscope), and surgical instruments can then be passed through these
incisions. The camera sends pictures to a T.V screen so that the surgeon can
see the kidney and surrounding tissue, and remove the kidney this way. One
of the incisions will be enlarged to enable the kidney to be removed.

Google is my friend

3. The more modern keyhole method of removing the kidney involves having
three or four 1cm cuts. A thin tube with a light and a camera on the end (a
laparoscope), and surgical instruments can then be passed through these
incisions. The camera sends pictures to a T.V screen so that the surgeon can
see the kidney and surrounding tissue, and remove the kidney this way. One
of the incisions will be enlarged to enable the kidney to be removed.

Yep bang on no long lasting scars. Thankfully this is the route for me but my surgeon did say that if there were any complications, for any reasons, he would not hesitate in switching to open surgery although this is very rare.

Op date has been brought forward to next Wednesday 17th at 9am. ****ting myself is putting it mildly but it has to happen.

Are there any out there with advice/do's and fonts with regards the general anaesthetic?? I'm 16 stone and slightly overweight but the surgeon and pre assessment nurse was reasonably happy. But they didn't give me any other advice other than to drink **** loads of water (paraphrasing).

I did go under general 10 years ago when I broke a finger and they had to reset it but although I was a stone or 2 heavier then I was also considerably younger at 21. Just a bit worried so any advice will be welcome.

Op date has been brought forward to next Wednesday 17th at 9am. ****ting myself is putting it mildly but it has to happen.

That's good news mate - sooner the better. I know I rarely come on here these days and don't really know a lot of the members any more but reading this thread wasn't nice and I truly wish you the very best. Seeing people who have a tendency to rip shreds off of each other uniting to wish you well was a refreshing moment although it's a shame it had to be under these circumstances, I don't really pray but will say one for you next week mate.

My honest advice is, if the options still available, to have it done by local anaesthetic. Several times I've had the option of either and I've always been glad of going with a local. I had a tube shoved down my throat for a coeliac test and was gagging for a couple of minutes but then it was over and done and I got to walk out straight away. Same with removing an extremely impacted wisdom tooth.

My honest advice is, if the options still available, to have it done by local anaesthetic. Several times I've had the option of either and I've always been glad of going with a local. I had a tube shoved down my throat for a coeliac test and was gagging for a couple of minutes but then it was over and done and I got to walk out straight away. Same with removing an extremely impacted wisdom tooth.

I'm not talking about the camera I'm having my kidney out! Need a general for that haha!!

Luckily the camera is being done at the same time so I'll be out.

I'm not talking about the camera I'm having my kidney out! Need a general for that haha!!

Luckily the camera is being done at the same time so I'll be out.

Ok, sorry, hadn't followed the thread properly! Best of luck, don't drink tea in the morning! I did that once and it delayed the operation a couple of hours.

Ok, sorry, hadn't followed the thread properly! Best of luck, don't drink tea in the morning! I did that once and it delayed the operation a couple of hours.

Been told no food or drink from midnight so that's no problem as I don't usually anyway. Op is around 10am. Bricking it if I'm honest but hey ho.

Best of luck Roy, good to get it all done sooner.

I paid NI contributions for over 20 years when I lived in UK, so this one's on me mate !!

Roy.. I'm sure your are in good hands.

just don't wear your ukip badge as you might come away with something else missing. :lol:

I have just read through this thread and cant really add much to whats been said by everyone else. It would be easy for me to say dont worry about the op etc etc, but be positive. The NHS is much maligned but in my experience they are great. You will be in good hands.

I have been reflecting on my posts on these forums and must seem like a whining negative **** in regards to our players/manager/tactics etc etc but its only football after all. Its just in the last few years us poor spurs supporters have had our expectations raised massively. My point is this is one thread where I am sure my expectation will be realised and that you will make a full recovery and in years to come you will be taking your kids/ grandkids to the lane for years
Good luck Roy. Stay positive

Back