• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Pathetic dive today, really hate to see that from a Spurs player. The worst part is that if he had stayed on his feet he probably would have got to the ball

Agreed, I am actually hoping he gets fined for it. Technically he should have been sent off. The dive was a clear yellow card. The shove was a clear yellow card.

Agreed, I am actually hoping he gets fined for it. Technically he should have been sent off. The dive was a clear yellow card. The shove was a clear yellow card.

more than a little harsh but hey while you're dishing out harsh punishments why not go the full monty. bench him for a game or two? or better yet put him on the market to be sold.

too strong maybe?

Your location (in your profile) is absolutely spot-on. So over the top makes me wonder what the motive really is. Anyway I look forward to the next thread on one of our players going down easy. Because no one will be immune.

Last edited:
I have a completely different take on the incident fromanyone else on this board it appears.
Bale and Kohnson were in a flat-out race for the ball, a race which Bale would surely have won putting a stretched Liverpool defense under pressure.
Agger came across aiming straight for Bale, looking for all the world like he was going to kick Bale up in the air, something which happens regularly in every match and which had already happened a couple of times in that particular match.
This caused Bale to check and swerve slightly and gave Johnson the advantage in the race.
It was a sly, cynical and dishonest piece of defending.
At no time did Agger intend to or attempt to play the ball, his only intention was to impede Bale.
Therefore if there was the slightest contact between any part of Agger's body and any part of Bale's body - and it looked to me like there was - Bale was entitled to go to ground in an attempt to win a legitimate free kick for obstruction.

@hootnow and BAE.......so what do you want bale to do exactly when he thinks a dangerous tackle is coming? how does he discourage those tackles?

in the case of agger.....he actually sticks his leg out for me, doesnt get the ball , the evasive manoeuvres bale takes doesnt allow bale to carry on the momentum he had which would have legally beaten agger hands down, so bale loses out to an agger show and tell, foul. cause if you're saying that bale shouldnt have moved away from that then you're saying that bale should keep going until he gets hit....yes?

I agree with you in a way, that the action could have been to protect himself

However, I feel it was a little too theatrical to simply be an evasive manoeuvre. Maybe that's just me

wowser

Gareth Bale, The fall from grace, coming soon to a cinema near you

I admire him as much for his remarkable talent with the ball as I do for his persona and character

Never hear some flimflam tabloid story about screwing his mate's bird's mom, or a bar fight with a DJ, or some lingerie model claiming pregnancy, or drugs or, car crashes, or throwing darts at his mates. Never retaliates, swears, chirps, kicks ankles, elbows, etc. - keeps his head down and plays the game. Let the ref deal with the rest. Role model for all the right reason, fantastic person and leader overall

Carefully Arcy, most thought the same about Ryan Giggs and Tiger Woods.. look what they turned out to be!

you know what, even if the drop was a dive, i'm of the opinion that bale lost an advantage because he evaded the tackle. so he fell to get a foul, kind of like compensation for him having to evade the tackle and lose a yard or space from his opponents.

So just because some of us think Bale dives occasionally, that means we must have never played the game. What an absolute load of gonad*s! As Arc points out, Bale dives AFTER Agger attempts to foul him. Premier League players may be much faster and more technically gifted than your average sunday league player, but does that mean that there aren't horrendous challenges in sunday morning matches? Just because we don't play premier league standard football that means surely none of us can judge bad premier league players as we have never played at that level too? We can't slate Defoe for missing a one on one with the keeper because "you've never played at that level"? Ridiculous arguement!

Bale is my favourite Spurs player, but he's dived for years.

I guarantee every single poster who is condoning Bale's diving will be on here furiously typing away if we lose at the Emirates in a couple of weeks from the result of an Henry dive which lead to a penalty in the last minute.

I think the argument of evading injury is a good one, but it's funny that we're only now proposing it because *our* player is diving. Nobody ever saw this side of the coin when it was Ronaldo and Nani!

has anyone at the club punished him for going against the 'Tottenham way' ?

Flabbergasted by the criticism of bale in here. Only skim read but in turn I am embarrassed for some of our fans.

Living in the 1950's when doing didn't exist is not the answer

It is part and parcel of the game and leaves two thoughts 1) if you don't someone else will and take points that are rightfully ours and 2) if people have such energy for criticism perhaps it would be better directed at filthy cloggers who go around kicking the best players. Skrtel had 3 or 4 'efforts' at Bale and here we are digging out Bale!!! Incredible.

Top lad, top player, hope he recovers from the very clear gash Skrtel put on his shin

more than a little harsh but hey while you're dishing out harsh punishments why not go the full monty. bench him for a game or two? or better yet put him on the market to be sold.

too strong maybe?

Definitely too strong. He cheated. We don't want to see that at Spurs, so you punish the player without harming the team. A fine and a good old fashioned "That's not the way we play the game in this country" should suffice.

It was a dive. It happens. We can't help it. So let's just get over it. I'm sure he had valid reasons, and I'm equally sure he doesn't even remember the incident in question by now. So why are we so obsessed with it?

Your location (in your profile) is absolutely spot-on. So over the top makes me wonder what the motive really is. Anyway I look forward to the next thread on one of our players going down easy. Because no one will be immune.

Exactly. Just because he is one of our own, and especially just because he is one of our best players does not mean his behaviour should automatically be condoned, forgiven or justified. He cheated. End of. We don't want to see that at Spurs. That's the sort of brick that happens down the road. When other team's players do it, we rage about it (justifiably so). I'd rather we weren't hypocritical and condemn opposition players for what we praise our own players for. Condemn them all and maybe we'll stamp it out of the game.

It was a dive. It happens. We can't help it. So let's just get over it. I'm sure he had valid reasons, and I'm equally sure he doesn't even remember the incident in question by now. So why are we so obsessed with it?

Because it's not the Spurs way and the way our fans view this incident could well end up being fundamental to what we will become down the line. Success is already making some of our fans too arrogant. I hate Gooners because of their blinkered views (especially on cheating). I'd hate to have to hate Spurs fans for being hypocrits for condemning Arsenal fans for it whilst doing it themselves. Our club, our supporters are better than that. We never have had, and hopefully never will have, that win at all costs attitude. Winning without grace equates to actually being a loser, no matter how successful you are.

It's not the Spurs way, agreed. But will yelling 'Boo you hypocrite!' whenever Bale falls over do any good? If anything, it might make him consider leaving, since he may well have his own reasons for falling over easy. His own blighted injury record shows that much. So yes, it isn't the Spurs way, and yes, Bill Nick would have turned in his grave if he had seen it, but what can we do about it that doesn't equate to booing our own player? so let it go, I say. I'm sure someone will have a word with him about it not being the Spurs way; after all, we've got more than enough legends working for the club in some capacity or other. If he continues to do it when he's 27 or 28, then it becomes worrying. But as a young lad, trying his best to cope with a whole host of new challenges? It's expected, and should be accepted. We can't always demand perfection; if we did, no one would play for us.

Back