• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

I strongly doubt Mourinho gave him direct orders to do it.

And hence my point - we hated it

Mourinho may not have given direct orders to do it, but he didnt and doesnt mind his players going against the spirit of the game in order to obtain success. That cannot be argued against

"we" doesnt mean everybody. Like i said, you will never find me criticising opposing players for diving around, so i wont condone ours either

there are far worse crimes committed on the football field imv

I'll tell you what makes me laugh the most, there's an entire thread on a 'dive' which I, and some others, don't think was a dive, Bale is getting blasted again, yet I saw no outpouring of 'disgraceful behaviour' comments over Benny's absolutely shocking challenge on that poor lad from Wigan Di Santo. That was awful, and him avoiding a ban for that was the first break we've had in months from the men in black. I love Benny and would never say he meant to 'do' another player, but THAT sort of challenge is bang out of order IMHO and one I was unhappy to see a Spurs player doing...

BAE didn't go in like that on purpose to injure Di Santo IMO, Bale made a concious decision to fall over and claim a foul when he hadn't been touched

"we" doesnt mean everybody. Like i said, you will never find me criticising opposing players for diving around, so i wont condone ours either

there are far worse crimes committed on the football field imv

Ok, so basically you're ok with diving.

At least we're clear on that, so let's rather leave it. No point arguing further

I strongly doubt Mourinho gave him direct orders to do it.

And hence my point - we hated it

But no-one told him to stop it.
No-one at City tells Balotelli to cool it.
Because they play those margins and have calculated that if these 'spotlit' players get had up once in a while, the times they get away with brick will still far outweigh things.

Here's a scenario for you (given that the rules state decisions can be given for intent)...Bale is tearing into the box at the effeminates, Song comes across him with what looks like it's going to be a scything challenge, goes to ground with arms up in 'trying to pull out ref' gesture, Bale has already skipped away from a clattering he thinks is coming, slips in the process, the ref gives a penalty and books Song for the intent. Are you, at that point, happy to see a player who clearly only wanted to stop Bale by whatever means necessary reprimanded? or are you going to shout 'no way' and feel embarrassed?

I'll tell you what makes me laugh the most, there's an entire thread on a 'dive' which I, and some others, don't think was a dive, Bale is getting blasted again, yet I saw no outpouring of 'disgraceful behaviour' comments over Benny's absolutely shocking challenge on that poor lad from Wigan Di Santo. That was awful, and him avoiding a ban for that was the first break we've had in months from the men in black. I love Benny and would never say he meant to 'do' another player, but THAT sort of challenge is bang out of order IMHO and one I was unhappy to see a Spurs player doing...

Great post, Steff. I too was horrified by Benny's tackle - yet not a murmour on hear of criticism. Arc is somehow trying to justify it with comparison to Lescott and VDV. Dont really know what that means, but Benny's was certainly a really poor tackle and he should have had a punishment to fit the crime.

BAE didn't go in like that on purpose to injure Di Santo IMO, Bale made a concious decision to fall over and claim a foul when he hadn't been touched

'...made a conscious decision'...OK, mind-reader now as well eh? I agree with you re: BAE, but who's to say he and Di Santo hadn't had an relier tussle and Benny thought he'd just stick one in there? Things happen on a pitch that people don't know...

First of all there is no way to judge if a defender would break your anke simply because his running at you. That's his job, ffs

Secondly - If he dives - will never defend him. Never. If he genuinely tripped from Song's challenge - I would call us very lucky at that point. Much like VdV's handball when we beat them 2:1 earlier - doubt he wanted to use his hand and luckily the ref missed it.

So if it was Suarez doing that against Dawson for example you would have said he did it to protect his ankle and been ok with it?

if he did it with the sole intention of gaining an unfair advantage (ie penalty, free kick etc), then no I wouldnt be happy. Howver this simply wasnt the case here.

I would feel awful.

Why? Because in making sure he didn't get clamed by someone Bale got a pen? Or are you saying that unless the intending clatterer makes contact, any action to step away from/avoid potential contact which leads to a fall is a dive?
Did Ginola always dive? Waddle?

First of all there is no way to judge if a defender would break your anke simply because his running at you. That's his job, ffs

Secondly - If he dives - will never defend him. Never. If he genuinely tripped from Song's challenge - I would call us very lucky at that point. Much like VdV's handball when we beat them 2:1 earlier - doubt he wanted to use his hand and luckily the ref missed it.

If the defender is making a line for you when the ball will quite clearly be gone by the time he gets there, I think you can reasonably feel you're perhaps about to get tacoted mate...anyway, probably best we agree to disagree. I do not condone cheating; I equally do not condone sides and players who go out to intimidate and taco others. I support players who are targeted doing everything they can to avoid injury.

Why? Because in making sure he didn't get clamed by someone Bale got a pen? Or are you saying that unless the intending clatterer makes contact, any action to step away from/avoid potential contact which leads to a fall is a dive?
Did Ginola always dive? Waddle?

Hmm, fair point. I really don't personally think that Bale IS just trying to get out of the way of tackles. However I see the dilemma of when getting out of the way of a foul any protests at the force of the tackle are going to look like appeals for a freekick after a dive.

But he takes another step then falls - if he was evading action he would have jumped out, surely?

Your armchair analysis clearly indicates that you havent played at a reasonable level. either that or else you were a destroyer and not a class act

Your armchair analysis clearly indicates that you havent played at a reasonable level. either that or else you were a destroyer and not a class act

:ross:

No-one needs any decent level football experience to know that you can sidestep someone without diving to the floor

:ross:

No-one needs any decent level football experience to know that you can sidestep someone without diving to the floor

When a player is coming in from the side, the most important protection is to get your feet out of contact with the ground. Otherwise, a side impact with your studs engaged with the pitch will result in potentially very serious injury

Insults don't make your point any stronger and if anything exposes a gaping hole in the actual point you're trying to make.

I still play at a medium level and taking a step FIRST then falling is a dive in anyone books. You don't need to have Champions League experience to comprehend this rather basic concept

When a player is coming in from the side, the most important protection is to get your feet out of contact with the ground. Otherwise, a side impact with your studs engaged with the pitch will result in potentially very serious injury

Bale NEVER did that, nor did he JUMP out of the way. He simply carried on running THEN collapsed to the ground. If you cannot see that, then look again

Back