• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Stellini - Acting Head Coach for a small part of the season

I think it's practically impossible for us as outsiders to say what exactly a group of people/players need. We have very little idea. Personally though, I think it's just about getting the right group of people together for the job. Get a progressive coach in that has ideas that align with the club philosophy (let's face it, fans of Spurs essentially want to see an attacking team, that's fundamental), and get everyone pulling in the same direction. If there are players that clearly don't want part of that, ship them out. It sounds easy in theory, probably is a lot harder in reality - but I think our hit n' miss approach to managers is a testament to this. We just don't ever seem to get the right guy for the job (with Poch being the exception, a manager a lot of us didn't want at the time!). We've tried the pragmatic serial winner approach - both have failed, so let's do something a bit more progressive. We always seem to be 10 steps behind the teams that are doing well and being progressive in their scouting and hiring (albeit with more money than us) - our slogan is supposedly "to dare is to do", yet we never really dare to hire a coach that doesn't have some sort of reputation. fudge the reputation! Just get the right man for the job.

I agree but hard to get someone with an idea when ours keep changing. And not lasting more than. 18months......

The "million dollar question" :eek:, its a hard one because obviously i am not in the dressing room to hear those who (imo) have the mentality that seems to be creeping around. But here goes and i am sure there will be many who disagree with some if not all.

Lloris has been imo the 3rd best keeper i have seen in our shirt ( and before anyone reminds me) i know he has won the world cup but there is no doubt in my mind that he has turned into a nervous wreck and that has turned him into a much poorer number one. Other players like Sanchez, Dier ( who as most fans know a player i have always stood up for and imo recieved unwarranted abuse from some), Sad to say i thnk Son has become a shadow of his own self have no idea if he can get back to where he was. Kane is a great player but he is no captain ( infact imo he is a poor one) so i would give the capt armband away to another player and see what his reaction would be. If he accepts the decision then good if not then the club need to make the decision on what to do.

Tanganga does not seem to be in with a shout of winning a regular place in the side, Lenglet i would move on as well. Like i say without being in our dressing room its not easy to decide where the weak links in players mentality is so its not going to be a easy decision. As i say all the above is just my opinion and i am sure as well as missing some players out of the list there will be many on here who will disagree with me.

There's some "lesser" players i would keep because they want to be here and appreciate what they have.
There are other "greater" players who i get the impression that they think they are doing us a favour that i would ship out quite gladly ship out.

There's some "lesser" players i would keep because they want to be here and appreciate what they have.
There are other "greater" players who i get the impression that they think they are doing us a favour that i would ship out quite gladly ship out.

Out of interest where would you place Dier amongst all that?

Out of interest where would you place Dier amongst all that?

Dier for me is a decent level pro, a player that will reflect what's around him in the dressing room and on the pitch.
If I'm being totally honest I'd say the same about our whole squad, there's not one of them that if you put them into Liverpool, city, utd or even arsenal would look out of place.
They would be reflecting whats around them, but they wouldn't be influencing it.
Individually they will get away with it, two or three of them in the squad probably isn't a big problem if you have good leadership and role models, we don't have that.
Two much maligned players, lamela i felt was frozen out of certain aspects of the squad because he wasn't prepared to settle for anything less than giving everything.
Lo Celso as far as i was led to believe was a feisty no bull brick player, part of me wonders if he came in saw the dressing room and thought this isn't my environment and wanted out.

Dier for me is a decent level pro, a player that will reflect what's around him in the dressing room and on the pitch.
If I'm being totally honest I'd say the same about our whole squad, there's not one of them that if you put them into Liverpool, city, utd or even arsenal would look out of place.
They would be reflecting whats around them, but they wouldn't be influencing it.
Individually they will get away with it, two or three of them in the squad probably isn't a big problem if you have good leadership and role models, we don't have that.
Two much maligned players, lamela i felt was frozen out of certain aspects of the squad because he wasn't prepared to settle for anything less than giving everything.
Lo Celso as far as i was led to believe was a feisty no bull brick player, part of me wonders if he came in saw the dressing room and thought this isn't my environment and wanted out.
I think there are a few that wouldn't get anywhere near the Emirates Marketing Project or Arsenal teams in particular because they are so bad on the ball..... Sanchez, Dier, Lloris, Richarlison and, from the evidence of his time at Spurs so far, Bissouma, who fits into this category as well).

A poor first touch makes it very difficult to play football, we have far too many players with a poor first touch. I hope that any transfer business we do this summer sees us ensure that we only sign players with a good first touch (and with both feet please Mr <insert name here who is carrying out Paratici's duties>

I think there are a few that wouldn't get anywhere near the Emirates Marketing Project or Arsenal teams in particular because they are so bad on the ball..... Sanchez, Dier, Lloris, Richarlison and, from the evidence of his time at Spurs so far, Bissouma, who fits into this category as well).

A poor first touch makes it very difficult to play football, we have far too many players with a poor first touch. I hope that any transfer business we do this summer sees us ensure that we only sign players with a good first touch (and with both feet please Mr <insert name here who is carrying out Paratici's duties>

Sanchez yes, Lloris, well tbh the city keeper has many fudge ups with the ball at his feet as Lloris. Keepers don't play football, its not natural and the sooner that's stopped the better afaic.
But even putting Sanchez in there isn't going to stop city winning the PL, is it?
They would cope, adapt and his confidence and ability would develop. He's never going to be a maldini, but he could become a decent CB, and probably have a barrow load of medals.

Sanchez yes, Lloris, well tbh the city keeper has many fudge ups with the ball at his feet as Lloris. Keepers don't play football, its not natural and the sooner that's stopped the better afaic.
But even putting Sanchez in there isn't going to stop city winning the PL, is it?
They would cope, adapt and his confidence and ability would develop. He's never going to be a maldini, but he could become a decent CB, and probably have a barrow load of medals.
Their whole game-plan would fall apart. They need every player to be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

and the viewpoint of 'keepers don't play football' ended a decade ago. It is absolutely essential for your keeper to be competent at controlling and passing the ball when playing against a modern press.

Their whole game-plan would fall apart. They need every player to be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

and the viewpoint of 'keepers don't play football' ended a decade ago. It is absolutely essential for your keeper to be competent at controlling and passing the ball when playing against a modern press.

Sanchez was perfectly capable when we had verts, toby, Wanyama and Dembele around him, don't see whi it would be different at city, players willing to take responsibility and help him.

A keeper only needs to be competent with the ball at his feet, for me too many get told they are good with the ball, get ideas above thier ability and fudge it up as often as any other keeper.
Hugo isn’t even competent with his feet, especially now, and why successive managers insist on playing to his weakness baffles me.

We were hardly being pressed
They pressed more with 10 men
It was just a passive shambles
The way I saw it everything was going according to our game plan until the middle of the first half. Then Everton adjusted and we never adjusted to their adjustment. After the red they adjusted again and we didn't adjust to that either. It was Plan A or bust, regardless of the circumstances of the game and the opponent.

The way I saw it everything was going according to our game plan until the middle of the first half. Then Everton adjusted and we never adjusted to their adjustment. After the red they adjusted again and we didn't adjust to that either. It was Plan A or bust, regardless of the circumstances of the game and the opponent.
Gutless and spineless
So so negative
That’s what it was
As bad as I’ve ever seen is play

Gutless and spineless
So so negative
That’s what it was
As bad as I’ve ever seen is play

Wonder how much of this was due to lack of leadership on the pitch combined now with lack of leadership on the touchline. At least Conte shouted and talked from the touchline; Stellini is very passive

Wonder how much of this was due to lack of leadership on the pitch combined now with lack of leadership on the touchline. At least Conte shouted and talked from the touchline; Stellini is very passive
Conte confused and scared the players imo
So it’s no different

Sanchez was perfectly capable when we had verts, toby, Wanyama and Dembele around him, don't see whi it would be different at city, players willing to take responsibility and help him.

A keeper only needs to be competent with the ball at his feet, for me too many get told they are good with the ball, get ideas above thier ability and fudge it up as often as any other keeper.
Hugo isn’t even competent with his feet, especially now, and why successive managers insist on playing to his weakness baffles me.
Sanchez wasn't fine back then. He had the same foibles then that he has now, yes his poor general control of the ball was not so obviously exposed but it was always there and we all knew it. He wouldn't get near the City squad.

Our problem is not mentality as much as it is just a sheer amount of average players. Lots of average players, will lead to average performances and average results.

You can win and have some middling players if you have some exceptional players as well and specifically if those exceptional players are in certain roles. We have Kane and no one else. We have no exceptional creator, we don't even have an average creator.

When the pressure is on, when we need what so many call leadership we need calmness but no amount of leadership qualities is going to make Dier good on the ball, or PEH a careful and consistent midfield metronome.

Mentality is cool, but quality is more important and Tottenham fans and this forum in particular is very guilty of overrating our players. They just aren't that good. They weren't during the latter end of Poch's reign, they weren't during Jose's run and they still weren't during Conte's run.

I specifically even remember saying during Conte's his good run that he's not a miracle worker and that the squad was still full of dross. The good results masked the general dross and has convinced too many of us that the quality of the side is higher than the reality of it.

Its not all brick, we do have some promising players and I think there are some additions that will change the shape of the squad but we fundamentally have too many average players.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Teams rarely pressed us back then though and when they did they got joy out of Sanchez.

Because otherwise we’re just punting it upfield and immediately giving the opposition the ball. We desperately need a new keeper who is competent on the ball.

His not a caretaker manager, he is a manager that still feels he has Conte as boss, so he try to play Conte football…

Back