• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Stellini - Acting Head Coach for a small part of the season

Can you imagine what will happen when they come up against the likes of De Zerbi, Howe, Ten Haag, Klopp, Frank??

Actually scary thoughts!!
Well Frank will just play long ball
De Zerbi will be interesting this weekend
Home advantage will help us more than our fans think

the last two results are the same we got last season don’t forget

It’s not all on Stellini, or Conte for that matter. Our senior players need to take their share of responsibility. It’s up to them to set the tone on the pitch. Draw a line in the sand. Instead they go missing. Time after time. The last 20 minutes last night was the latest example and possibly the worst of many. I’ll name them:
Lloris
Dier
PEH
Son
Kane.

No leadership qualities whatsoever in that bunch. I’d happily get rid of the first 4 now. Kane? Yeah we should be grateful for his goals but he’s no leader.

Good to see that some sense has been put into the thread, been saying for a long while ( going back to the end time of Poch) that we have a group of players who do NOT have the right mentality and its no surprise ( to me) to see that all but one of those you mentioned were here during Poch last days. before someone jumps on me the dressing room can affect the newer players who have joined over the last couple of windows and the mentality can spread because of that. I know some will disagree with me ( again) but we have a few players in that squad who have failed to delivier for a while now and we really need to get rid of those who lack REAL DRIVE to come out on top of the opposistion.

As for Kane we all know what a great player he is but ( imo) he is never a captain/leader of a team, a good capt should be able to inspire players to rise their game when needed and ( imo ) he does not have that quality.

Well Frank will just play long ball
De Zerbi will be interesting this weekend
Home advantage will help us more than our fans think

the last two results are the same we got last season don’t forget

True, but the way the results have come about give far more negative connotations.
We also are playing far worse than last season as well....sigh...

It’s not all on Stellini, or Conte for that matter. Our senior players need to take their share of responsibility. It’s up to them to set the tone on the pitch. Draw a line in the sand. Instead they go missing. Time after time. The last 20 minutes last night was the latest example and possibly the worst of many. I’ll name them:
Lloris
Dier
PEH
Son
Kane.

No leadership qualities whatsoever in that bunch. I’d happily get rid of the first 4 now. Kane? Yeah we should be grateful for his goals but he’s no leader.
Or perhaps the manager (if we can actually bestow that privileged title on Stellini?) wants them to play an incredibly low block when 1-0 up in the game? From what I saw last night with nothing coming from the sidelines to try to get us up the pitch it certainly seemed that way.

Or perhaps the manager (if we can actually bestow that privileged title on Stellini?) wants them to play an incredibly low block when 1-0 up in the game? From what I saw last night with nothing coming from the sidelines to try to get us up the pitch it certainly seemed that way.
100% it’s tactical
I even get it but just don’t agree with it

Good to see that some sense has been put into the thread, been saying for a long while ( going back to the end time of Poch) that we have a group of players who do NOT have the right mentality and its no surprise ( to me) to see that all but one of those you mentioned were here during Poch last days. before someone jumps on me the dressing room can affect the newer players who have joined over the last couple of windows and the mentality can spread because of that. I know some will disagree with me ( again) but we have a few players in that squad who have failed to delivier for a while now and we really need to get rid of those who lack REAL DRIVE to come out on top of the opposistion.

As for Kane we all know what a great player he is but ( imo) he is never a captain/leader of a team, a good capt should be able to inspire players to rise their game when needed and ( imo ) he does not have that quality.
That's fine, but then why did Stellini not use all his subs and take off those that weren't showing that drive? If there are no repercussions for not performing and showing drive then the players will continue as is.
It's up to the manager to set the tone, Conte didn't do so by constantly playing underperforming players (Son being the prime example) and it looks like Stellini is going to continue in the same vein.

That's fine, but then why did Stellini not use all his subs and take off those that weren't showing that drive? If there are no repercussions for not performing and showing drive then the players will continue as is.
It's up to the manager to set the tone, Conte didn't do so by constantly playing underperforming players (Son being the prime example) and it looks like Stellini is going to continue in the same vein.

I do not disagree really, my post was not trying to defend Stellini but just how badly we need to change the attitude ( or clear them out) of certain players who (imo) have the wrong attitude ( especially when things go wrong).

It's a difficult one though to be fair because it's not something that's easily quantifiable. You have lads like Trippier and Eriksen who went and won major league titles after leaving us and they would have been two that would have been looked at as not strong characters. Eriksen in particular would have been seen as a bit wishy washy. We also have Hugo who captained his country to a World Cup so it's not like our lads are trophy repellants.

However, it does feel like we may need a clear out because the club has allowed these lads, including Kane, to get used to not getting over the line. Maybe it's me projecting but for the likes of Hugo, Dier, Kane, Son - it just feels like they're never going to win here, not because they aren't capable of winning trophies in the right club but because they've had 5-10 years of being in a culture where glorious failure is okay and getting top 4 is success.

And all that means that the painful rebuild Poch spoke about 5 years ago has become far more painful because, at that point, you could have done it with Kane, Son, Dier and Hugo. Now, because of age and a further ingraining of underachievement over 5 years, those players also need to be replaced.

Problem is that a low block when you have poor defenders, or low on confidence defenders, makes zero sense. You're inviting pressure on to a weak part of your team rather than taking pressure off them. Its the opposite of what you should do!

It's a difficult one though to be fair because it's not something that's easily quantifiable. You have lads like Trippier and Eriksen who went and won major league titles after leaving us and they would have been two that would have been looked at as not strong characters. Eriksen in particular would have been seen as a bit wishy washy. We also have Hugo who captained his country to a World Cup so it's not like our lads are trophy repellants.

However, it does feel like we may need a clear out because the club has allowed these lads, including Kane, to get used to not getting over the line. Maybe it's me projecting but for the likes of Hugo, Dier, Kane, Son - it just feels like they're never going to win here, not because they aren't capable of winning trophies in the right club but because they've had 5-10 years of being in a culture where glorious failure is okay and getting top 4 is success.

And all that means that the painful rebuild Poch spoke about 5 years ago has become far more painful because, at that point, you could have done it with Kane, Son, Dier and Hugo. Now, because of age and a further ingraining of underachievement over 5 years, those players also need to be replaced.

You make good points and there is truth in what you say, however the clear out of the players who have got use to falling at the last hurdle ( and before in some cases) has to happen if we really want to see us win things. Going over old ground here ( and i fully expect the ones who disagreed with my opinions over the last several seasons will do so once again) but lets be honest our team ( which we all love) has fallen at so many hurdles over the last several years in important cup games that we have to look at the mentality of the players who have done just that.

There is no Doubt ( at least to the majority of supporters i meet up with) that over the last couple of windows we have made some very good signings and the base of the team has got a lot of promise. What we need now is to clear our those who have got USE to losing the big games. It will not be easy for sure but it has to be done.

From other comments I think you were there @Finney Is Back so respect for that. I’m not saying the management and tactics have nothing to do with it going back a few years now but fudge me our players have little or no personality on the pitch as far as I can see. When the going gets tough they go missing. There is a senior cohort there that comes across as too cosy for my liking. Son has been woeful all season, losing the ball weakly over and and over. If I was on the pitch beside him I’d have given him an unmerciful gonad*ing long ago. Likewise peh with his no-look passes. Lloris walks back into the team and is like a rabbit caught in the headlights every time the ball is played to his feet, there’s a surprise! There’s a hierarchy there that needs to be completely dismantled imo.

You make good points and there is truth in what you say, however the clear out of the players who have got use to falling at the last hurdle ( and before in some cases) has to happen if we really want to see us win things. Going over old ground here ( and i fully expect the ones who disagreed with my opinions over the last several seasons will do so once again) but lets be honest our team ( which we all love) has fallen at so many hurdles over the last several years in important cup games that we have to look at the mentality of the players who have done just that.

There is no Doubt ( at least to the majority of supporters i meet up with) that over the last couple of windows we have made some very good signings and the base of the team has got a lot of promise. What we need now is to clear our those who have got USE to losing the big games. It will not be easy for sure but it has to be done.

Yeah, think we're on the same page. All things being equal, who would you ship out?

I think it's practically impossible for us as outsiders to say what exactly a group of people/players need. We have very little idea. Personally though, I think it's just about getting the right group of people together for the job. Get a progressive coach in that has ideas that align with the club philosophy (let's face it, fans of Spurs essentially want to see an attacking team, that's fundamental), and get everyone pulling in the same direction. If there are players that clearly don't want part of that, ship them out. It sounds easy in theory, probably is a lot harder in reality - but I think our hit n' miss approach to managers is a testament to this. We just don't ever seem to get the right guy for the job (with Poch being the exception, a manager a lot of us didn't want at the time!). We've tried the pragmatic serial winner approach - both have failed, so let's do something a bit more progressive. We always seem to be 10 steps behind the teams that are doing well and being progressive in their scouting and hiring (albeit with more money than us) - our slogan is supposedly "to dare is to do", yet we never really dare to hire a coach that doesn't have some sort of reputation. fudge the reputation! Just get the right man for the job.

I think it's practically impossible for us as outsiders to say what exactly a group of people/players need. We have very little idea. Personally though, I think it's just about getting the right group of people together for the job. Get a progressive coach in that has ideas that align with the club philosophy (let's face it, fans of Spurs essentially want to see an attacking team, that's fundamental), and get everyone pulling in the same direction. If there are players that clearly don't want part of that, ship them out. It sounds easy in theory, probably is a lot harder in reality - but I think our hit n' miss approach to managers is a testament to this. We just don't ever seem to get the right guy for the job (with Poch being the exception, a manager a lot of us didn't want at the time!). We've tried the pragmatic serial winner approach - both have failed, so let's do something a bit more progressive. We always seem to be 10 steps behind the teams that are doing well and being progressive in their scouting and hiring (albeit with more money than us) - our slogan is supposedly "to dare is to do", yet we never really dare to hire a coach that doesn't have some sort of reputation. fudge the reputation! Just get the right man for the job.

Emma Hayes it is then

Problem is that a low block when you have poor defenders, or low on confidence defenders, makes zero sense. You're inviting pressure on to a weak part of your team rather than taking pressure off them. Its the opposite of what you should do!
And when you have both it's even more staggering that we continue with it

Yeah, think we're on the same page. All things being equal, who would you ship out?

The "million dollar question" :eek:, its a hard one because obviously i am not in the dressing room to hear those who (imo) have the mentality that seems to be creeping around. But here goes and i am sure there will be many who disagree with some if not all.

Lloris has been imo the 3rd best keeper i have seen in our shirt ( and before anyone reminds me) i know he has won the world cup but there is no doubt in my mind that he has turned into a nervous wreck and that has turned him into a much poorer number one. Other players like Sanchez, Dier ( who as most fans know a player i have always stood up for and imo recieved unwarranted abuse from some), Sad to say i thnk Son has become a shadow of his own self have no idea if he can get back to where he was. Kane is a great player but he is no captain ( infact imo he is a poor one) so i would give the capt armband away to another player and see what his reaction would be. If he accepts the decision then good if not then the club need to make the decision on what to do.

Tanganga does not seem to be in with a shout of winning a regular place in the side, Lenglet i would move on as well. Like i say without being in our dressing room its not easy to decide where the weak links in players mentality is so its not going to be a easy decision. As i say all the above is just my opinion and i am sure as well as missing some players out of the list there will be many on here who will disagree with me.

Sanchez, dier, winks, Reggie, Peresic, Ndele (kanes leaving) Hugo, maybe Tanga and sess (moura leaving) lo celso

Dier will probably get extend and who knows what team will take the others for a sensible price. If not it's gonna be a big hit financially which Levy ain't gonna take

Back