• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Saudi Sportswashing Machine ***

Does XG only count shots on target?

4 seems quite low, but if the 2 from Johnson off the posts don't count, and Richalison not getting a head one cross and just out of reach from others, it might look right.
xG counts all shots. It represents the probability of the chance resulting in a goal. It's xGOT that represents the probability of a goal from a shot that's on target. So you may have a low xG shot with a high xGOT (e.g. a shot from 25 yards in the upper corner) and vice versa (e.g. a shot from 6 yards straight at the keeper).

As i've said (alongside many here), foreign players need time to bed into a different league, it doesnt matter if you go from Japan to Italy, from France to Spain, from Portugal to Germany or Portugal to England. We're seeing how gifted Porro is in spite of all the criticism he got last year. So impressed by the lad and long may it continue.
And to think before the season started everyone was "what the fudge were we thinking buying him with Conte all but gone. He's a wing back, not a right back." He's turning out to be one of the best RBs in the league, both defensively and offensively.

And to think before the season started everyone was "what the fudge were we thinking buying him with Conte all but gone. He's a wing back, not a right back." He's turning out to be one of the best RBs in the league, both defensively and offensively.
My worry is with him and destiny we have no like for like cover
has to be a position to focus on in the summer

it's a shocker from Romero, it's half way up the lower leg, he's not gone for the ball there

very lucky not to see red
Half way up the lower leg???
Since when has someones foot moved to halfway up a leg???

I’m not Romeros biggest fan but some of the crap that’s been spouted about that tackle… The tackle was low and was basically a stamp on a foot. It’s never a red. Is Romero stupid and potentially a problem? Yes. Does that mean every tackle he makes is a red? fudge no, just like today not ever stupid challenge is a red

My worry is with him and destiny we have no like for like cover
has to be a position to focus on in the summer
The way these two are playing I just don't see how we can get like for like cover without breaking the bank and who would be happy coming off the bench. We may just have to rely on a solid defensively Royal covering left or right and creativity out of the midfield and forwards.

So, at SJP last season, our lowest point for some time, the sky team were convincing us This was the passing of the baton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine were taking our place in the top tier.

Any comments?

Thought at the time it was a ridiculous viewpoint and totally disrespectful to the sustainable level our club has been built to, it was a terrible day in a bad period no more.

The difference between the two are clear, one is a stamp on the ankle with studs after the ball is gone.

The other is late and no studs.
One is a stamp on a foot, the other is a full powered kick through the back of a leg on the calf. I know which I’d rather receive

I agree but thought Porto was better than at least a couple of those players you mention....
You’re absolutely right. He had a fantastic game. Really didn’t fancy him defensively last year but the improvement this year has been outstanding and he’s brilliant on the ball. Good call.

You’re absolutely right. He had a fantastic game. Really didn’t fancy him defensively last year but the improvement this year has been outstanding and he’s brilliant on the ball. Good call.

That’s just it. @alekaras said that people doubted his signing but I think the truth was that people weren’t sure if he had it defensively to be a right back in a new system. Few doubted, it should have doubted, his attacking output. And it had been suggested maybe he would play right wing.

As it turned out not only is he playing BOTH right wing and right back but he’s bloody good at both roles.

That’s just it. @alekaras said that people doubted his signing but I think the truth was that people weren’t sure if he had it defensively to be a right back in a new system. Few doubted, it should have doubted, his attacking output. And it had been suggested maybe he would play right wing.

As it turned out not only is he playing BOTH right wing and right back but he’s bloody good at both roles.

Popping up as an attacking midfield at times too

Romero was going for the ball but the Saudi Sportswashing Machine player was quick footed enough to drag it away from him, check where the ball is when he sets off to make the challenge - looks bad slowed down but wasn't malicious
Exactly, it's madness to call it reckless. It ended up being a bad challenge but there was nothing malicious or even out zof co trol about the challenge. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine player just got the better of him, it was a deserved yellow but never a red.

It's crazy to think Cash just straight up kicked Bentancur, got nowhere near the ball and gets a yellow yet Neville thinks a genuine challenge should be a red.

The way these two are playing I just don't see how we can get like for like cover without breaking the bank and who would be happy coming off the bench. We may just have to rely on a solid defensively Royal covering left or right and creativity out of the midfield and forwards.
Udogie didn’t cost a fortune
There are players out there with similar attributes I assume
This where the scouting comes into play

I thought Skipp (or PEH) might be a good shout as more like for like than Davies and Royal. Or one of the youth prospects?
Skipp as a full back?
You have to remember for all the great inverted stuff the do… they still defend as full backs

Skipp could adapt I guess. Hard to tell
But we need a younger player or players that can be moulded

I do agree converting a CM may work

Exactly, it's madness to call it reckless. It ended up being a bad challenge but there was nothing malicious or even out zof co trol about the challenge. The Saudi Sportswashing Machine player just got the better of him, it was a deserved yellow but never a red.

It's crazy to think Cash just straight up kicked Bentancur, got nowhere near the ball and gets a yellow yet Neville thinks a genuine challenge should be a red.

Haven't been on here since the game, and we're really discussing Romeros challenge? Unbelievable...

Nothing to discuss, ref got it spot on, free kick and yellow. Move along.
Romero did get a similar treatment himself earlier in the game, with the same result if I recall correctly.

Of all stupid decisions made by refs lately this is a non-starter, and shouldn't even be on the agenda after such a brilliant game.
I guess someone is questioning the Son penalty as well then, even though the keeper catches him not just once, but twice in the same challenge. First the foot, then the hand to the knee.

Just about half a year ago we were humiliated by this lot, not because they were so frickin' good, but because we were brick, had a clueless caretaker out of his depths in charge, and completly lost the plot. Yesterday, we got our revenge. Not because they were brick, but because we were (for the most of the game) very good.

We're still not firing on all cylinders, we're still missing quite a few important bits, but this was a very good improvement from the Spammers-game.

If we continue this progress and keep scoring goals like this, I'm totally fine with having to live with my hearth in my throath even when Spurs are 3 goals up 10 minutes before full time. As a certain fellow would say, "That's who we are, mate!"

Just a quick addition regarding Romero, kind of an afterthought:
Albeit not a red challenge, the discussion can well be had if that challenge was neccessary and/or wise, at that point in the game.
With his growing reputation every challenge he makes that approaches the line between a yellow and a red will be a high risk challenge. And the line will eventually be moved, not to his favour. (perhaps it already has been..)

Skipp as a full back?
You have to remember for all the great inverted stuff the do… they still defend as full backs

Skipp could adapt I guess. Hard to tell
But we need a younger player or players that can be moulded

I do agree converting a CM may work
The problem with Skipp as an inverted FB is that he's not as effective in the midfield space as Porro is when inverted, nor does he have his close control, passing range or passing execution.

Hojberg is probably a better fit passing wise but he's quite a sloppy passer at times and has nowhere near the press resistance that Porro has demonstrated.

I think really we need better suited understudies rather than trying to shoehorn players in. Rather Players than haven't really proven good enough in their primary position in the first place.

Back