• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Saudi Sportswashing Machine ***

Skipp as a full back?
You have to remember for all the great inverted stuff the do… they still defend as full backs

Skipp could adapt I guess. Hard to tell
But we need a younger player or players that can be moulded

I do agree converting a CM may work
Royal and Davies showing their best skill is their defensive ability. Skipp can play that midfielder and defender role I think. Lacks Udoggies strength and pace but as an understudy I think he works.

The problem with Skipp as an inverted FB is that he's not as effective in the midfield space as Porro is when inverted, nor does he have his close control, passing range or passing execution.

Hojberg is probably a better fit passing wise but he's quite a sloppy passer at times and has nowhere near the press resistance that Porro has demonstrated.

I think really we need better suited understudies rather than trying to shoehorn players in. Rather Players than haven't really proven good enough in their primary position in the first place.
Not saying Skipp or PEH are the answer, but neither was Porro back in August. It's amazing how well he's adapted to the role. No reason Ange can't get the same tune out of someone else we doubted.

Udogie didn’t cost a fortune
There are players out there with similar attributes I assume
This where the scouting comes into play
No doubt, but it's getting increasingly harder to identify these hidden gems nowadays. Other clubs will be aware of them too and will promise them starting spots. Unless we pay them Chelsea or City money, which is not the way we operate, they'll choose to go where they're guaranteed to start.

No doubt, but it's getting increasingly harder to identify these hidden gems nowadays. Other clubs will be aware of them too and will promise them starting spots. Unless we pay them Chelsea or City money, which is not the way we operate, they'll choose to go where they're guaranteed to start.

don't underestimate the pulling power of a manager who plays fun football and who promotes youth. Chelsea might pay a lot for a long time, but you then face playing on loan on in the doldrums for years to come.

don't underestimate the pulling power of a manager who plays fun football and who promotes youth. Chelsea might pay a lot for a long time, but you then face playing on loan on in the doldrums for years to come.
Was gonna post that
Do you take the option of a club that’s a mess or one that maybe can offer you better coaching and stability

Just a quick addition regarding Romero, kind of an afterthought:
Albeit not a red challenge, the discussion can well be had if that challenge was neccessary and/or wise, at that point in the game.
With his growing reputation every challenge he makes that approaches the line between a yellow and a red will be a high risk challenge. And the line will eventually be moved, not to his favour. (perhaps it already has been..)

That never happened with Lamela (his world record for highest yellows to reds ratio). If you know exactly where the line is a play to it, the line shouldn't move

I still have hope that Spence and Sess could flourish as back ups to Porro and Udogie.

No reason why they cant both learn the role.

I sometimes can be guilty of lingering faith in players that don't deliver, but I wouldn't expect either of those to ever play for us again.

I think Sess maybe goes back to Germany in January (loan to perm) and Spence gets a permanent to the championship in the summer

I still have hope that Spence and Sess could flourish as back ups to Porro and Udogie.

I think they both have the atributes
Sessegnon needs self confidence
Spence needs coaching
Both have the technical skills
Would be great to see
I think angeball with the ability to swap out players on 60 minutes to make positive subs would be massive

I cant see Ange discarding Sess without at least taking a look at him (he already saw Spence in pre-season). It could be that he doesn’t impress at all but I think he’ll at least be given a chance.
The pre season was a mess though
Games cancelled and random mid week games
I don’t think he will judge anyone on that

Sessegnon just seems to be way too injury prone to get anywhere with us. I quite liked the look of Spence, so still have some hope he might come good for us. Would think he'd be able to fit into the way Ange plays with the backs. He's at Leeds not getting many games isn't he?

Mad to think we started the season like we did when that happened - I'd very quickly forgotten that!

Ange makes judgements on players beyond the pitch - he's looking for mental strength and moral fibre - hence why Ndombele isn't around. Spence is such an odd one, someone somewhere in the scouting team really went over the top to get him and then he's never been seen again, despite the player having serious attributes. Must be a mental thing I guess.

Sessegnon needs to have a reset - completely block out the Mourinho and Conte eras and embrace the new way. Or he's toast, lets be honest.

Spence was out from the start though - only got 18 mins v Barcelona. Was training with the group that all left (Rodon, Tanguy etc.) Ange obviously spotted something he didn’t fancy.

Spence was out from the start though - only got 18 mins v Barcelona. Was training with the group that all left (Rodon, Tanguy etc.) Ange obviously spotted something he didn’t fancy.
And if he did.. I think he may well be wrong
But that’s my opinion

Not saying Skipp or PEH are the answer, but neither was Porro back in August. It's amazing how well he's adapted to the role. No reason Ange can't get the same tune out of someone else we doubted.
That is a fair point I would argue though that we are comparing Porro who started his career as RW and then moved to RWB and now eventually an inverted RB which isn't a millions miles away from the same thinking of a RWB to someone like Skipp who has come through as an orthodox CM. Skipp and Hojberg haven't especially shown the qualities that the inverted FB need whereas Porro already had all of that, he was just seemingly lacking defensively. Ang has worked on his positioning and timing and everything has fallen into space, I think Skipp and Hojberg are lacking more than just positional awareness.

I'll happily be wrong but the other names mentioned like Spence and Sess seem more likely imo to be decent to good understudies.

Ange makes a big deal about talking to players before we sign them, to make sure they have the right mentality. I believe this has been questioned with Spence before?

Agreed!

And if he did.. I think he may well be wrong
But that’s my opinion

I think it was more Royal was ahead of him and no point stopping Spence from playing.

Now Ange appreciates Royals is a decent CB maybe there is more room. As things stand Royal is probably the more rounded player than Spence. But Spence has more attacking potential…

Agreed!

I think it was more Royal was ahead of him and no point stopping Spence from playing.

Now Ange appreciates Royals is a decent CB maybe there is more room. As things stand Royal is probably the more rounded player than Spence. But Spence has more attacking potential…
Really hard to judge how Spence may play considering he has had NO games for us

Back