• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

I don’t know the ages of posters condemning it but I’d hazard a guess it’s older posters?

Without meaning to sound cheeky (and I could be completely wrong) but I could see it being a generational thing where fans with memories preceding Arsenals dominance - and us actually winning stuff find it easier to accept???

Personally having grown up in prime Wenger days and having dealt with all the stick that came my way whilst Arsenal were on the ascendancy - there’s no way I can ever accept that happening again.

Say I can’t accept banter or whatever you will.

We were never going to get top 4. If we had beaten city you can guarantee with our luck we would have won arsenal the title and they’d never have let us live it down.

Can just see them all saying that the only title we’ve won is for them etc….

But hypothetically if we had of got top 4 it puts us into a competition for a season. Arsenals title would be something that could never be removed.

They’ve grown a lot in a short space of time. Anything that hinders that I’m all game for

It's an interesting take but not accurate in my experience - similar split in opinions among my generation 40 +/- and my Dads generation 60s-70s from what i saw

I don’t know the ages of posters condemning it but I’d hazard a guess it’s older posters?

Without meaning to sound cheeky (and I could be completely wrong) but I could see it being a generational thing where fans with memories preceding Arsenals dominance - and us actually winning stuff find it easier to accept???

Personally having grown up in prime Wenger days and having dealt with all the stick that came my way whilst Arsenal were on the ascendancy - there’s no way I can ever accept that happening again.

This is pretty much me as well. I actually value the fact that folks like @parklane1 et al have seen us actually win things, because outside of one moment of sheer happiness in 2008, I never have. My entire life as a Spurs fan has been watching us be the constant failures, bridesmaids, and footnotes to someone else's story.

And the worst of those days were in the early 2000s, when that lot were top of the heap with Wenger in his prime, while we were a bloody mess.

So, no way am I putting myself through that again if I can help it. For others who have seen us actually lift silverware in the pre-ENIC days when we still had a chance at that, maybe what Arsenal do is less of an issue - for those who haven't seen that, maybe all we have is schadenfreude. But, your opinions may vary.

It’s one thing for it to be ‘not the worst thing in the world’ - it’s another for the majority of fans to be actively hoping for it and then celebrating it.

I’m not gonna get on fans for wanting it to happen. I did. I know it’s petty and mean-spirited but that’s what football does to you.

I wonder how long it will take for "outrange at fans not singing enough" will subside before discussions of the actual team's form since January will re-start...

I wonder how long it will take for "outrange at fans not singing enough" will subside before discussions of the actual team's form since January will re-start...

To be fair, doubt anyone has forgotten. That's what is confusing about this outburst from Ange. If he was blaming the fans for this loss as a way to distract from the fact that we've lost yet again, the 5th loss in the last 6...then it only works until people point out that the fans weren't the reason you limply lost 4 of the last 5 before that. That was entirely on him and the team.

It's a bit short sighted and is backfiring as this narrative spreads. So, it lends credence to the idea that it genuinely was just him being moody and snippy for whatever reason - spur of the moment thing.

To be fair, doubt anyone has forgotten. That's what is confusing about this outburst from Ange. If he was blaming the fans for this loss as a way to distract from the fact that we've lost yet again, the 5th loss in the last 6...then it only works until people point out that the fans weren't the reason you limply lost 4 of the last 5 before that. That was entirely on him and the team.

It's a bit short sighted and is backfiring as this narrative spreads. So, it lends credence to the idea that it genuinely was just him being moody and snippy for whatever reason - spur of the moment thing.
You really think his outburst was to distract from previous poor results? You’ve suggested that several times as far as I can see.

Ange is right, and Spurs fans need to take a deep look at themselves, last night was fudging embarrassing.

Disclaimer - Let's not get into the "who is a better fan" brick. I'm not policing if people are fans, I'm calling out people's fudging mentality and the fact that Spurs fans will clearly trade our club success because "poor me, my rival will give me some banter" (all the BS about "you don't know what its like to live/work with Scum fans)

Lat night our players gave everything, our manager gave everything and City never dominated any significant piece of the game (first 45 mins was probably the best I've seen us play), and when our players needed us, half the fudging stadium was cheering on City's results .. I was there, it wasn't some randoms, it wasn't some inconsequential percentage, it was a lot of fudging people.

If you want to laugh/cheer after the game or outside at a pub, all good, I get it, today it's funny the Scum won't get brick .. at OUR fudging stadium, shameful. And people know it, hence suddenly it's not last night, it was the other bad games .. no, it was last night at the stadium ..

15+ years of fans saying the club/team bottles it, last night our fans bottled it ..
Bottled what?

Missing out on the CL at the weekend instead of last night?

Last night's match may as well have been a friendly, there was nothing in it for us to play for.

Bottled what?

Missing out on the CL at the weekend instead of last night?

Last night's match may as well have been a friendly, there was nothing in it for us to play for.

Conversation has been done to death at this point ..

We ask the team to give everything, on this night, they did (other games/days is another conversation) and on this night the fans chose not to participate/support (for all the reasons already run through).

Time to move on ... don't think anyone is changing anyone's mind ...

You really think his outburst was to distract from previous poor results? You’ve suggested that several times as far as I can see.

To an extent, yeah. Not particularly surprising or underhanded - all managers do it to distract from poor results and keep the pressure off the players.

But I don't think it was the case here (or if it was, it was poorly thought through) because it has backfired on him as the fans point out that the circumstances around this loss don't really excuse the previous 4 out of 5 losses.

Yeah it could be. It's sufficiently vague that people will see what it suits for them to see in the quotes. The issue for Ange is that he's created a rod for his own back a bit because he's gonna get a lot more questions on what he meant over the next week or two. I expect some very spiky interactions with the press this week.

All comes out in the wash as they say, neither of us far off if this is to be believed

I never actually watched or heard his comments about set pieces in the media before the Chelsea game. Just listened to them on talksport and honestly it’s quite worrying. Simon Jordan thinks he was just irked by the constant questions about them and there was an air of defiance about it but Ange surely can’t be willing to die on this hill to the point where he doesn’t think we need to work on them? All the top teams in England are good at set pieces.

I never actually watched or heard his comments about set pieces in the media before the Chelsea game. Just listened to them on talksport and honestly it’s quite worrying. Simon Jordan thinks he was just irked by the constant questions about them and there was an air of defiance about it but Ange surely can’t be willing to die on this hill to the point where he doesn’t think we need to work on them? All the top teams in England are good at set pieces.

we do work on them. Vdv has confirmed it in an interview.

Last edited:
The other thing I would add is that we're in line for a barrage of abuse and laughs if we beat Sheffield United and Palace beat Aston Villa. Aston Villa who can now relax and will probably still be drunk when they play on Sunday.

The other thing I would add is that we're in line for a barrage of abuse and laughs if we beat Sheffield United and Palace beat Aston Villa. Aston Villa who can now relax and will probably still be drunk when they play on Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised if villa put out a few youth players. Even the seniors are not going to risk injury before the euros. Nothing to play for so they probably will lose.

It doesn't matter mate. That passes quickly because there's too many 'what ifs' to really keep that patter going. *If* we had beaten City, Villa would be more up for their game v Palace, etc.

Fact is the best case scenario would have seen us 3 points behind Villa heading into the final game - literally a point was all they needed to finish ahead of us.

It was always a long shot.

Back