• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

His job is indeed on the line, but he himself said CL is not important, not the be-all-and-end-all etc which is/was fair enough. But then he can't complain if some fans took a similar attitude to it for one game because it had a bad effect on our rivals.

The more i think about it, the more it can be said he's trying to deflect the spotlight from him a little from being scrutinised on the progressively worse ways we've been playing since January...

Ange better make sure we beat Sheffield United to clinch fifth and actually i think he won't look good at all if we don't keep a clean sheet yet again...

I think he can, because its not about the result, its about the attitude.

He has mentioned about a fragile squad and having to work on fixing that, so for (a few fans) to want, and celebrate (i think this is the important part) us losing has tinkled him off. He wants to win, and is trying to build us so we can.

"I'd be surprised if anyone in my position at this level will go in with anything other than 100 per cent commitment to fight for everything because if you don't, invariably you fail."

He has mentioned about a fragile squad and having to work on fixing that, so for (a few fans) to want, and celebrate (i think this is the important part) us losing has tinkled him off. He wants to win, and is trying to build us so we can.

"I'd be surprised if anyone in my position at this level will go in with anything other than 100 per cent commitment to fight for everything because if you don't, invariably you fail."
I can’t wait for next season with him
I’m sure we will progress massively again

I totally get why he wants to win and I wouldn’t want it any other way, I have no issue with him and the players doing their upmost to win last night, I just didn’t want them to. But as someone who has been in and around football for decades, I find it hard to comprehend how he doesn’t understand intense rivalries and why losing last night wasn’t the worst thing in the world. The difference is I’m not having a go at him for having that attitude and mindset whereas Ange is having a go at the fans (indirectly) for not wanting us to win. He could have just said that’s fine I can’t control or tell them how to feel but as a manager I want to win.

Did you watch his post match?

He specifically said, he can't/won't tell people what to celebrate or how they choose to support. He repeatedly told reporters he didn't care about external stuff. The quotes are basically from the 4th or 5th set of questioning that went down the road of "do you think the supporters affected the players" and his response was yes, it's different when you are chasing a game the crowd is willing you on.

He said, his job to fix the club, he wants everyone wanting to win every time .. nothing wrong with it.

Clearly a night where there was conflicting emotions, we can all agree/disagree but lets not let narratives suddenly become what Ange said (fudging Jamie Redknapp was somehow making it out that Ange was talking about Levy on Sky post match)

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way the players attitude yesterday. That would have been a bigger problem.

He's only recently mentioned the fragile squad, and at a time when we started conceding the same goals over and over, via set-pieces or a breakaway when the opposition have easy runs towards our game with men over. One game when fans had odd feelings to us getting a result should not be used as a template to review the reasons as to why we lost 5 out of 6 etc

Could it be that when talking about not bothered by how fans react, it was to do with fans on social media (as im sure that was mentioned in the lead up to the question/answer), but he didn't expect fans going to the game to react the same way?

One they are in the ground they are no longer an external factor and will have an effect on the players?

Could it be that when talking about not bothered by how fans react, it was to do with fans on social media (as im sure that was mentioned in the lead up to the question/answer), but he didn't expect fans going to the game to react the same way?

One they are in the ground they are no longer an external factor and will have an effect on the players?

This might be a fair point. However, I wasn't there yesterday but watching on the box it looked like whenever we attacked the crowd were very much up for it., booed City players when they felt they were playing being injured (which was harsh as they were injured, but that's what biased myopic home fans do).

But, if it did feel weird to him yesterday i'm very sure it has been balanced by A LOT of very fervent home support this season: remember there are songs sung about him during and after most games!
If yesterday effected the players, what about the support they received in other games where our play was far more limp than yesterday??

It would be interesting to know at what point in the game he had the altercation with the fan....as if it was something that pressed his buttons it definitely flicks a switch in his head.

If they finish above us this season (while being in europe while we weren't). That will be 2 seasons on the trot. They're is a very good argument that they are stronger.
100%. I don't have any difficulty saying Villa are the better side currently. They are also ahead of us in Thier timeline, this is Emery's 2nd season there, so his structure and system already has some foundations set. Villa have also been buying very well for the last 3 or 4 seasons.
Look who we have signed when we haven't had that to offer.
Who did we sign? I would argue we've tended to buy better when we've been out of the CL rather than in it.

It shouldn't be that way of course but we've tended to not push on whenever we've actually qualified and instead rested on our laurels somewhat.

It would be interesting to know at what point in the game he had the altercation with the fan....as if it was something that pressed his buttons it definitely flicks a switch in his head.

Probably same point I was ..

It's fudging triggering to be a supporters section, see your team trying and some asshat is cheering for the opposition, I can't even imagine what it is like as a manger with some sitting behind you (in home section) doing that same brick ..

Did you watch his post match?

He specifically said, he can't/won't tell people what to celebrate or how they choose to support. He repeatedly told reporters he didn't care about external stuff. The quotes are basically from the 4th or 5th set of questioning that went down the road of "do you think the supporters affected the players" and his response was yes, it's different when you are chasing a game the crowd is willing you on.

He said, his job to fix the club, he wants everyone wanting to win every time .. nothing wrong with it.

Clearly a night where there was conflicting emotions, we can all agree/disagree but lets not let narratives suddenly become what Ange said (fudging Jamie Redknapp was somehow making it out that Ange was talking about Levy on Sky post match)
Redknapp Jnr absolutely hates Levy and takes every chance to have a swipe at him. Much more so than his old man who is actually always complimentary towards Levy. What I will say for Redknapp is that he could conceivably be right albeit, no one knows really what Ange was talking about specifically.

He did say:

"I think the last 48 hours have revealed the foundations are fairly fragile. Outside the club, inside the club, everywhere. It has been an interesting exercise. It's just my observations. I'm not going to tell you more. You can make your own assessment of what happened...I already knew what I wanted to do, I just have to make some adjustments to how I do it."

That could be interpreted that the rug has been pulled from under him with regards to next season in terms of what he'll be given to spend if we didn't get CL. Then again, that's pure speculation on my part. But that's a by-product of being critical and vague - people will use it to drive an agenda.

By far the most interesting press conference he has done, much more revealing than the love-ins from the media at the beginning of the season. Somehow fills me with deep belief that he has a plan for next season, and in that respect Ange last night was totally different than Conte at Southampton last year. But I would like to know what exactly he means regarding 'the last 48 hours'. It feels more specific than just the anti-Arse attitude.

Redknapp Jnr absolutely hates Levy and takes every chance to have a swipe at him. Much more so than his old man who is actually always complimentary towards Levy. What I will say for Redknapp is that he could conceivably be right albeit, no one knows really what Ange was talking about specifically.

He did say:

"I think the last 48 hours have revealed the foundations are fairly fragile. Outside the club, inside the club, everywhere. It has been an interesting exercise. It's just my observations. I'm not going to tell you more. You can make your own assessment of what happened...I already knew what I wanted to do, I just have to make some adjustments to how I do it."

That could be interpreted that the rug has been pulled from under him with regards to next season in terms of what he'll be given to spend if we didn't get CL. Then again, that's pure speculation on my part. But that's a by-product of being critical and vague - people will use it to drive an agenda.

It could also be as simple as the tone round the club from even peripheral staff like catering having an opinion and one that conflicts his own and that message he is trying to install, you spend any time round a club and anyone and everyone has their opinion, it could be more severe and higher-ups were making the idea of CL the be all and end all and it causing issues for Ange on the bigger picture. Who knows TBF.

Is it really a shock for another manager to say the foundations and mentality of our club are weak? I'm far from shocked

It could also be as simple as the tone round the club from even peripheral staff like catering having an opinion and one that conflicts his own and that message he is trying to install, you spend any time round a club and anyone and everyone has their opinion, it could be more severe and higher-ups were making the idea of CL the be all and end all and it causing issues for Ange on the bigger picture. Who knows TBF.

Is it really a shock for another manager to say the foundations and mentality of our club are weak? I'm far from shocked
Yeah it could be. It's sufficiently vague that people will see what it suits for them to see in the quotes. The issue for Ange is that he's created a rod for his own back a bit because he's gonna get a lot more questions on what he meant over the next week or two. I expect some very spiky interactions with the press this week.

Does anyone know what he actually said to thad fan he was having a Barney with?

All I can make out is Ange saying "Just do I know who you are" whilst pointing at him.

It might be that whoever it was in the crowd was saying / doing something totally out of order but it is a bit of a worrying look to be falling out with specific members of the crowd during a game. It adds to the weird feeling of last night, sure in a weeks time it'll be old news but the loss was bad enough in isolation, adding on the "learning about the fragility of the club" stuff it seems like unnecessary unpleasantness when it's been a mainly productive and promising season.

We're a strange lot us spurs supporters.

We crave a trophy, but we want to pick and choose which trophies we win.
Some trophies are beneath us apparently.
Put the stiffs and the kids out in these tin pot competitions, then we moan because there's no ambition or winning mentality at the club.

Players that have been here for years and have never been rated are now being held up as an example of how the manager is useless because that player isn't getting enough minutes.

When we play arsenal, Chelsea and even West ham, who really should be pretty irrelevant to us, we don't want to win for the points (and points mean prizes 😜), no we do it to get one over on "them".
The last Chelsea game, it wasn't about three points, oh no, it was about doing the "scum" and humiliating a manager that took us to within 90 minutes of the biggest prize in club football.

We don't really know what we want, do we.

We're a strange lot us spurs supporters.

We crave a trophy, but we want to pick and choose which trophies we win.
Some trophies are beneath us apparently.
Put the stiffs and the kids out in these tin pot competitions, then we moan because there's no ambition or winning mentality at the club.

Players that have been here for years and have never been rated are now being held up as an example of how the manager is useless because that player isn't getting enough minutes.

When we play arsenal, Chelsea and even West ham, who really should be pretty irrelevant to us, we don't want to win for the points (and points mean prizes 😜), no we do it to get one over on "them".
The last Chelsea game, it wasn't about three points, oh no, it was about doing the "scum" and humiliating a manager that took us to within 90 minutes of the biggest prize in club football.

We don't really know what we want, do we.
I did chuckle reading that because I've seen all those viewpoints expressed but the truth is that we are a massive fan base and different people have different opinions. The danger is that we get lumped together as one entity and then it seems like we are schizophrenic hypocrites.

For example, I've seen a lot of brick posted on SM today about how "the fans in the stadium last night were a disgrace, wanting the team to lose, doing the Poznan, celebrating the City goals". Fact is, the vast majority of fans were absolutely fine - conflicted and uncomfortable yes but it was a minority who cheered for City in any way.

In the words of a fellow countryman - We're one but we're not the same.

I did chuckle reading that because I've seen all those viewpoints expressed but the truth is that we are a massive fan base and different people have different opinions. The danger is that we get lumped together as one entity and then it seems like we are schizophrenic hypocrites.

For example, I've seen a lot of brick posted on SM today about how "the fans in the stadium last night were a disgrace, wanting the team to lose, doing the Poznan, celebrating the City goals". Fact is, the vast majority of fans were absolutely fine - conflicted and uncomfortable yes but it was a minority who cheered for City in any way.

It is tongue in cheek, a wry look at it all.

We all follow the club for different reasons, we all take something different from it and success and failure are also different for each and every one of us.
It's interesting watching the last few days, lots opinions and debates, don't think anyone has changed their mind, and neither they should be it's individual opinion based on their preferences.

Oh FFS if we’re quoting Bono now I’m gone!

Back