• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Until Kane is back, I'd play both. We saw Son play off the big Dutchman successful before. Son couldn't hold off defenders like Janssen did. Had Eriksen or Lamela or Alli slotted home from one of Janssen's lay offs, would you be saying the same thing now?

Well, that's the thing about counterfactuals - if Son hadn't been on fire in the month leading up to this game, I would be advocating for Janssen up front right now. :) As it stands, Janssen's layoffs and hold-up play are brilliant, but Son is the sharper finisher and far better at running beyond the back line and providing menace to breakaways. I'd prefer to reward Son for his form by playing him up front, and then get Kane back into the groove when he returns with Son pushed back into the attacking midfield (in place of Lamela, perhaps) when Harry's fit again, provided Son's form holds. I feel we can ease Janssen in over time, and that this approach also prevents us unduly looking for him to be an instant star when it's clear that he'll need some time.

His hold up play in the first half was immense - even with the big WBA neanderthals drooling down his neck, he controlled the ball with ease. On any other day he would have had at least one assist.

Not so impressed by his finishing so far, but his movement looks generally good.

I can see what he brings to the team, and in a game like this it is very valuable. Unfortunately Foster decided to play the game of his life, while our finishing was so-so at times. That wasn't Janssen's fault though.

He needs to be given time. He looks like he's settling ok so far.

Sent from my SGP771 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Can't be happy with him if he doesn't score. I thought wba's defensive line had a tendency to shift forwards, and Janssen should have been running the channels more often, instead of trying to support play

Sent from my SM-G930F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Can't be happy with him if he doesn't score. I thought wba's defensive line had a tendency to shift forwards, and Janssen should have been running the channels more often, instead of trying to support play

Sent from my SM-G930F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I thought their line didn't move at all until halfway through the second half. They played 8-1-1 basically with a well organised blanket defence

I thought he did very well, especially first half; shielded the ball brilliantly, played some lovely little layoffs, and on another day, he might have had 3 or 4 assists. Can he shine in other areas? I don't know; it looks doubtful at the moment that he's ever going to score loads for us, anyway.

I thought he did very well, especially first half; shielded the ball brilliantly, played some lovely little layoffs, and on another day, he might have had 3 or 4 assists. Can he shine in other areas? I don't know; it looks doubtful at the moment that he's ever going to score loads for us, anyway.

Thierry Henry was one of the best players to ever play in the Premier/Premiership but people forget he did not score first goal for the scum until his 9th match for them so methinks it is a bit premature to write him off just yet

Thierry Henry was one of the best players to ever play in the Premier/Premiership but people forget he did not score first goal for the scum until his 9th match for them so methinks it is a bit premature to write him off just yet

And Janssen has started two or three for us in the league?

Wasn't he playing on the wing for most of that?

Thierry Henry is an excellent example of everything Vincent is not. More of a 30 y.o. Alan Shearer without the heading prowess imho. Work rate cannot be faulted and let's hope that could still make the move successful

How about comparing Vincent to Berkamp....

He didn't set the world on fire to start with at the arse but had a pretty great career there

That's even worse. Berkamp!:) wish Vince had the ball control and the vision.
I'm sticking with the Saudi Sportswashing Machine variant of Shearer. Edit! He did still score shed loads
Alan at Southampton was up there with Bale, a joy to watch, I can't remember too much but i think he had some bad injuries later, it was a great shame as he lost all his pace.

Last edited:
That's even worse. Berkamp!:) wish Vince had the ball control and the vision.
I'm sticking with the Saudi Sportswashing Machine variant of Shearer. Edit! He did still score shed loads
Alan at Southampton was up there with Bale, a joy to watch, I can't remember too much but i think he had some bad injuries later, it was a great shame as he lost all his pace.

I'm trying to highlight not to judge a player too early!!!!

I'm trying to highlight not to judge a player too early!!!!

This is talking about a player not judging him in a disparagingly.

My only question regarding Vincent is to the person who scouted him and the thought he was right for our system.
This is not a judgement on vincent, can't be faulted for his effort. Yes it's early days, but I still don't see him as a replacement/stand in for Harry. Kane is no speed merchant but he is mush faster than Vince.

How about comparing Janssen to Janssen - last season. Or to Kane...

This the crux of the matter the Dutch league cannot and must not be used as a measure of a players capability to play in the EPL. Those days have gone.

This not judging Vincent the man, this is more about scouting and the criteria for choosing new players.

This the crux of the matter the Dutch league cannot and must not be used as a measure of a players capability to play in the EPL. Those days have gone.

This not judging Vincent.

You can only score against what is in front of you right? And he did. Lots. Top scorer. The mechanics are still the same, defenders, goals the same size etc. Have to have some ability to do that. And he didn't score in his first 5 or more league games last season...

He's 22. Twenty two. Has a career in front of him. Don't write him off yet. Did you see the goal he scored midweek for his national team. If he's crap, how was he top scorer last season, scoring screamers midweek, and putting in effective if not spectacular performances for us? he created 4 clear chances yesterday, had he got 3 assists yesterday, doing absolutely nothing different this thread would be gushing man love now. Patience.

This is talking about a player not judging him in a disparagingly.

My only question regarding Vincent is to the person who scouted him and the thought he was right for our system.
This is not a judgement on vincent, can't be faulted for his effort. Yes it's early days, but I still don't see him as a replacement/stand in for Harry. Kane is no speed merchant but he is mush faster than Vince.
I suspect he was brought in because he was something (a target man) that we didn't have.

I doubt he was bought in the expectation that Kane would have a long lay off and that he'd be filling in as the main striker.

Back