• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Very good against WBA. Set up a lot of our chances and didn't quite get the right service to get good chances himself. A bit more selfish and he would have had more shots himself, but he chose the pass in some key situations.

Going by his season in Holland I think we know he can put chances away, at least when confident. He's working very hard and playing well for the team. Very happy with him so far.

In case some of you did not know last season he scored his first goal of the season in his 10th match and by January had only scored 7 goals but he still went on to be the top scorer in the league. He just needed time to settle after making a step up.

Very good against WBA. Set up a lot of our chances and didn't quite get the right service to get good chances himself. A bit more selfish and he would have had more shots himself, but he chose the pass in some key situations.

Going by his season in Holland I think we know he can put chances away, at least when confident. He's working very hard and playing well for the team. Very happy with him so far.

Probably just semantics, so forgive me if this seems a bit anal, but i'd say being "very happy" with Vinny is a stretch right now. Seems you have a very generous yardstick there BE.

I'm very happy with Danny Rose.
I'm very happy with Wanyama.
I'm very happy with Son.

Janssen? I'm content with for now as he's young and is working hard to settle in to the team and league. I'm pleased he's at Spurs but can't go much beyond that at the moment.

Probably just semantics, so forgive me if this seems a bit anal, but i'd say being "very happy" with Vinny is a stretch right now. Seems you have a very generous yardstick there BE.

I'm very happy with Danny Rose.
I'm very happy with Wanyama.
I'm very happy with Son.

Janssen? I'm content with for now as he's young and is working hard to settle in to the team and league. I'm pleased he's at Spurs but can't go much beyond that at the moment.

Nope. Very happy. I have more words if need be for when/if his performances improve further than this.

He really was very good yesterday. A fluked dropped chance to tuck away and I think everyone would be very happy with him.

I also think partly his role is different than Kane's, at least so far. A large part of what he does well is bring others into the game, play through balls and involve runners going past him. Whoscored has him with 4 key passes yesterday, most of any of our players, several of those were good chances that easily could have gone in. Several of those were situations where Kane probably would have tried to spin and shoot or take someone on. Janssen is doing something a bit different (so far), but also potentially very effective.

As he grows in confidence I'd expect him to try more stuff on his own and I think the goals will come.

I'm very happy with him. Really the only thing lacking from him is a goal or two so far this season. But with 3 starts and 5 sub appearances to his name I think the sample size is way too small to be talking about goals with any real meaning.

I wonder if our recent switch to 4141 requires the CF to be more involved with the creation of chances for the AMs than previously?

I wonder if our recent switch to 4141 requires the CF to be more involved with the creation of chances for the AMs than previously?

It does but obviously it would never hurt for him to chip in with goals too

As I said previously he only seem to get the ball when he is marked so clearly he is taking a player with him and holding it up. If that bring players like son and Alli in to score than surely it's a good thing

It doesn't matter who scores as long as we win

Last edited:
Agree with braineclipse. So many times where Kane would've tried to spin and face the goal, Janssen holds the ball up and passes to an onrushing team mate. Looks like a potentially very effective move to me. We scored on it against boro, and got a few good chances against wba that way. He did the same against Inter this summer, where we scored using that strategy. I'd say he's not doing too shabby. :)

Last edited:
So here is a young lad, moving abroad to a tougher leage, but that last season was banging them in for fun in a smaller leaguge.

So the preasure is on. From the fans, from journos, from himself, maybe even from his teammates. What would you do as an intelligent manager (which is what Poch is), to ease some of the pressure, at least from himself and his teammates? Why not tell him to play in a differnet way, in a slightly different positon, where his main task is to create changes for his teammates?

Just a thought

Agree with braineclipse. So many times where Kane would've tried to spin and face the goal, Janssen holds the ball up and passes to an onrushing team mate. Looks like a potentially very effective move to me. We scored on it against boro, and got a few good chances against wba that way. He did the same against Inter this summer, where we scored using that strategy. I'd say he's not doing too shabby. :)

I concur that he is particularly effective at that, although he gets mugged regularly while doing so. But I'd still like to see him make a dummy or a turn and have a crack at the goal. Otherwise it's too predictable, as defenders know they can just hug his back while waiting for another Spur to run onto a pass. If he was a double threat to either hold the ball up OR create some space to turn and shoot, I think it would benefit him and perhaps make defenders stand off him a bit, as well as making him a goal threat.

I concur that he is particularly effective at that, although he gets mugged regularly while doing so. But I'd still like to see him make a dummy or a turn and have a crack at the goal. Otherwise it's too predictable, as defenders know they can just hug his back while waiting for another Spur to run onto a pass. If he was a double threat to either hold the ball up OR create some space to turn and shoot, I think it would benefit him and perhaps make defenders stand off him a bit, as well as making him a goal threat.

Thought he did well last night and was not sure he should have gone off.

Once again... Let's see him when he's had more time to settle in and when he's got more confidence in front of goal with his goal scoring at our level.

I think taking him off last night was the wrong move, we had no one who could hold the bull as well as he was doing. I understand why Poch did so though, Janssen is still not up to speed with the way we play but it will come.

I think taking him off last night was the wrong move, we had no one who could hold the bull as well as he was doing. I understand why Poch did so though, Janssen is still not up to speed with the way we play but it will come.
I thought he got taken off as a tactical move, Leverkusen were pressing hard and committing men forward so I thought the plan would be to put son up top to hit on the break with pace.
Janssen looked like our best forward but he also has a lot of games coming up.

With the way Janssen was chasing down everything during his time on the pitch , the thought had crossed my mind that Poch had perhaps asked him for a 60-65 minute game, prior to kick-off. I don't think he were hauled off for not doing what was asked off him. There were a big hug between Poch and Janssen on the touchline when he was substituted.

I thought he got taken off as a tactical move, Leverkusen were pressing hard and committing men forward so I thought the plan would be to put son up top to hit on the break with pace.
Janssen looked like our best forward but he also has a lot of games coming up.

You may be right about that, unfortuately we could not hold the ball for Son to run in behind ( something Janssen was doing). It was a funny game and really was a game of two halfs.

With the way Janssen was chasing down everything during his time on the pitch , the thought had crossed my mind that Poch had perhaps asked him for a 60-65 minute game, prior to kick-off. I don't think he were hauled off for not doing what was asked off him. There were a big hug between Poch and Janssen on the touchline when he was substituted.

Without a doubt he did what was asked of him, he run out of steam but as i said above once he gets used to Pochs way ( lets be honest the game in Holland is a lot slower) and gets up to speed he will be a better player for us.

Back