• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

You can only score against what is in front of you right? And he did. Lots. Top scorer. The mechanics are still the same, defenders, goals the same size etc. Have to have some ability to do that. And he didn't score in his first 5 or more league games last season...

He's 22. Twenty two. Has a career in front of him. Don't write him off yet. Did you see the goal he scored midweek for his national team. If he's crap, how was he top scorer last season, scoring screamers midweek, and putting in effective if not spectacular performances for us? he created 4 clear chances yesterday, had he got 3 assists yesterday, doing absolutely nothing different this thread would be gushing man love now. Patience.

Yes i did see the midweek goal I was the silly sod who posted it. ;)

"Patience" we have little choice now in the matter. But your missing the point here, Vincent is totally one paced and his game is power holding the ball up! Is that what we need? I say we needed a pacier player more capable of running the channels and stretching defences?

As for assists, yes they are nice, but a striker deals in goals!

We will all wish him well and we all want him do well. My thought are more to do with Spurs recruitment and choosing the correct tool to do job at hand in the first place.

I suspect he was brought in because he was something (a target man) that we didn't have.

I doubt he was bought in the expectation that Kane would have a long lay off and that he'd be filling in as the main striker.

I would have thought that was exactly why we brought him, as backup for Harry 'incase something happend to him'?

Also we don't play with a target man. If we do we should have got 'two metre Pete' back;):D

Yes i did see the midweek goal I was the silly sod who posted it. ;)

"Patience" we have little choice now in the matter. But your missing the point here, Vincent is totally one paced and his game is power holding the ball up! Is that what we need? I say we needed a pacier player more capable of running the channels and stretching defences?

As for assists, yes they are nice, but a striker deals in goals!

We will all wish him well and we all want him do well. My thought are more to do with Spurs recruitment and choosing the correct tool to do job at hand in the first place.

Pace, gears, target man...as you say all that pales into significance it is just goals. Goals goals goals (and assists :) Had we signed Sheringham you'd be saying, slow, can't hold the ball up or be a target man etc. The key question is, can he score goals and create opportunities for goals? Yesterday he did the latter, and really didn't get much of a sniff himself to score. So better that he is provider when there are not openings for him.

Can he do more to get into goal scoring positions? Probably, but its very early days for him. Wbrom the meanest and best drilled team. On what I've seen - on the vid you posted thank you - and his general play, yes he can score and create goals. And he's only 22. His build makes you forget his age, and he's in a new country etc. He will come good. He may not dislodge Kane, but he's an international striker with obvious talent.

I suspect he was brought in because he was something (a target man) that we didn't have.

I doubt he was bought in the expectation that Kane would have a long lay off and that he'd be filling in as the main striker.

And he would be given games to bed in and do a job when needed

Out of curiosity... How many games have we lost when he has played? Monaco and he didn't start and created a golden chance for Kane

It's like yesterday someone comparing sissoko and Chadli... We're a better side now as shown by our results and current league position yet people want to find faults in the players we have!!!

Last edited:
Pace, gears, target man...as you say all that pales into significance it is just goals. Goals goals goals (and assists :) Had we signed Sheringham you'd be saying, slow, can't hold the ball up or be a target man etc. The key question is, can he score goals and create opportunities for goals? Yesterday he did the latter, and really didn't get much of a sniff himself to score. So better that he is provider when there are not openings for him.

Can he do more to get into goal scoring positions? Probably, but its very early days for him. Wbrom the meanest and best drilled team. On what I've seen - on the vid you posted thank you - and his general play, yes he can score and create goals. And he's only 22. His build makes you forget his age, and he's in a new country etc. He will come good. He may not dislodge Kane, but he's an international striker with obvious talent.

"but he's an international striker with obvious talent." Dutch football is not good ATM and not sure of the talent bit either.

But time will tell. And one thing is for sure, it won't be for the want of trying.

"but he's an international striker with obvious talent." Dutch football is not good ATM and not sure of the talent bit either.

But time will tell. And one thing is for sure, it won't be for the want of trying.

Okay, switch it round...you obviously remain unconvinced by his 31 goals last season in the Dutch league and the 12 International goals he's scored... What is it you have seen from him that makes you think he's not all that? He has a track record, shows ability for us, but is young and has to develop still. What is it he is not doing in your opinion?

Okay, switch it round...you obviously remain unconvinced by his 31 goals last season in the Dutch league and the 12 International goals he's scored... What is it you have seen from him that makes you think he's not all that? He has a track record, shows ability for us, but is young and has to develop still. What is it he is not doing in your opinion?

It's not what he's not doing, like it's a choice.
One thing all players in EPL are athletes. Evan Teddy Sheringham would struggle in todays game.

For
Strength
Work rate

Against
Poor first touch
Cannot run with ball
Lack of pace.
Not good heading

It's not what he's not doing, like it's a choice.
One thing all players in EPL are athletes. Evan Teddy Sheringham would struggle in todays game.

For
Strength
Work rate

Against
Poor first touch
Cannot run with ball
Lack of pace.
Not good heading

What does your matrix for Kane look like?

What does your matrix for Kane look like?

Yes there are some similarities with pace, but Harry is faster and he can travel with ball?
Harry is very wooden, but he has all the other attributes in spades, but he has always surprises me.

This is not a let's hang Vincent's post. This is what did the management see in and now expect from Jannsen?

Last edited:
Yes there are some similarities with pace, but Harry is faster and he can travel with ball?
Harry is very wooden, but he has all the other attributes in spades, but he has always surprises me.

This is not a let's hang Vincent's post. This is what did the management see in and now expect from Jannsen?

I think your assessment of Kane after 3 PL games would probably have been far more damning than Jannsen's. No one knows the future. But you can look at attributes, signs, past performances...and there's clear evidence Janssen will be a top player. Confidence, finding his feet are all key. Son, Lamela two young players who've underwhelmed initially, but shown signs of what was to come.

Superb first half. Want him to try turning his man now and again. He can hold off the big CBs, and lay it off no problem, can he also turn them? I think so. He also needs to be thinking more selfishly, rather than for the team always. Where should he position himself to score, is that what he should be thinking.

Ideally he'd get a run of games, never easy for a forward, or anyone, to come in and out. I'd keep playing him now until Kane is back.

Could not agree more, he was our best player in the first half and was always on the move trying to create space for our M/F players. He dropped a little in the 2nd half but then again so did most of the team, his first touch is great and his hold up play is as good as any CF we have had here since Berby.

I have been impressed by him so far - Id give him a 7/10 score.

Any comparisons to soldado are utter BS - the guy missed chance after chance and then I felt he hid quite a lot too. Similarly he provided next to no team play or running to support us. Janssen works hard, has a good first touch and holds the ball extremely well. He has laid on some great chances and despite missing 2-3 gimmes, he has been okay in front of goal despite not scoring - he is sharp in and around the box.

So far he has been a good option and good back up for us. As a cheap 22 year old I am happy to stick with him. If he scores 10 goals this year but provides a platform for others to score and as a figure head for our attaxks then I would call that a successful first year

I have not seen him miss all theses sitters and gimmes some keep bringing up. Yes he's missed some half chances, but in comparison to the ones dele is missing in every game then very harsh treatment imo.
Not that I'm criticising dele, they are both you get and no one scores every chance

Janssen was not the reason we did not win yesterday. I thought the guy was one of our better players.

Personally, I don't understand why people cannot see what he is giving to the team. It's a different option to Harry, which provides us with options and I am sure the goals will come. If he is a positive impact on the team i.e. makes the team play better then I have no problem with him.

And one last point on scoring goals. Just how many strikers come in from foreign leagues and instantly start scoring? Now how many strikers come in from foreign leagues, struggle to score in the earlier days and then go on to be regular 10+ goals a season strikers? Far far far too early to write him off or ask what our scouts saw in him. He's a quality, international level striker.

Yep.

Plus the thing that most unsettles foreign imports is the physicality of our league. Janssen has already settled into that with ease.

My only concern with Jansenn is that he always seems to get the ball when he has a man on him - never in space

Back