• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

If we can sign one player from Wolves, I'd taken Ruben Neves in a heartbeat.

Would be much more additive to our team than Jiminez would in my view. He's an excellent DM, one of the best in the PL
What are his actually defensive stats like though?
They normally play with 3 in midfield

Hojbjerg isn’t just a stopper. He is good on the ball in terms of both his passing and dribbling. He is also pretty mobile. Him in the team would give us a platform to play Lo Celso and Ndombele ahead of him in a 4-3-3 or allow us to have Winks Or Lo Celso alongside as the double Pivot in a 4-2-3-1.

While it’s true that teams don’t play with mere ‘stoppers’ these days, the best ones do play with one central midfield player who is defensive minded. Bayern use Tolisso, against us Leipzig used Laimer, City Fernandes or Rodri. Man Utd have bought Matic back from the cold, Leicester have Ndidi, Chelsea have Kante, Atletico have Partay, Barcelona Busquets, Real Madrid have Casemiro.

He is exactly what we need to immediately improve the shape of our team and stop it being so easy for the opposition to pick up the ball in time and space in central areas in our half of the pitch. Is he the best player in the World?.... No... However if we’d had him in there doing his thing this season I think we’d be in the top four at the moment due to the team actually having the right balance.

I’ve said many times that my first choice here would be Kalvin Phillips from Leeds, but our lack of funds along with Leeds’ likely promotion probably makes that signing impossible.

If he allows us to get Ndombele and Lo Celso functioning well in the same midfield then it will be a good signing

If he allows us to get Ndombele and Lo Celso functioning well in the same midfield then it will be a good signing

I’m also big on captains. I think it was Fergie that said he liked having as many ‘captains’ on the pitch as possible. At 24 he is captain of Southampton and also spent time at Bayern Munich. Without Dier in our midfield we’ve sometimes looked a little leaderless in there, so I think he could add to that.

I’m also big on captains. I think it was Fergie that said he liked having as many ‘captains’ on the pitch as possible. At 24 he is captain of Southampton and also spent time at Bayern Munich. Without Dier in our midfield we’ve sometimes looked a little leaderless in there, so I think he could add to that.

I'm 100% on the "get him in" side of the fence here. I'm sure I read about how highly Pep rated him during his time at Munich, obviously things didn't quite work out there but I feel the guy is ready to make that step to the next level (no disrespect to Southampton). He's got the vision and understanding of the game, however he doesn't seem the quickest to me though I guess that's where anticipation and awareness come to the fore.

Could definitely see a midfield three of Hojbjerg, Sissoko and N'dombele / GLC as a pretty wicked blend of attributes. All just speculation obviously, who knows how we're going to line up.

I'm 400% on the "get him in" side of the fence here. I'm sure I read about how highly Pep rated him during his time at Munich, obviously things didn't quite work out there but I feel the guy is ready to make that step to the next level (no disrespect to Southampton). He's got the vision and understanding of the game, however he doesn't seem the quickest to me though I guess that's where anticipation and awareness come to the fore.

Could definitely see a midfield three of Hojbjerg, Sissoko and N'dombele / GLC as a pretty wicked blend of attributes. All just speculation obviously, who knows how we're going to line up.
I have been one of Sissoko's more prominent defenders on here. However if we have a proper defensive midfielder in the team and a 4-3-3 formation where the other two midfield players are prepared to put a fair shift in then there shouldn't be need for him in our team. If we are playing Sissoko to counter another players' laziness (i.e. Ndombele) then Ndombele probably shouldn't be in the team and we should instead have (e.g) Winks or Dele along with Lo Celso. With us being close to full strength a player like Sissoko should revert back to an option off the bench who can come on and play in a number of positions.

I'm 400% on the "get him in" side of the fence here. I'm sure I read about how highly Pep rated him during his time at Munich, obviously things didn't quite work out there but I feel the guy is ready to make that step to the next level (no disrespect to Southampton).
Why ever not? Bloody jumped up SCBC.

While I will forever have doubts about Guardiola's ability to manage without having massive bags of cash and/or the pulling power of a dominant club, the man does know his midfielders.

I have been one of Sissoko's more prominent defenders on here. However if we have a proper defensive midfielder in the team and a 4-3-3 formation where the other two midfield players are prepared to put a fair shift in then there shouldn't be need for him in our team. If we are playing Sissoko to counter another players' laziness (i.e. Ndombele) then Ndombele probably shouldn't be in the team and we should instead have (e.g) Winks or Dele along with Lo Celso. With us being close to full strength a player like Sissoko should revert back to an option off the bench who can come on and play in a number of positions.

Don't want to drag the transfer thread in to a Sissoko debate or the tactics side of things but I get where you're coming from. It seems a looong time ago now but I remember Sissoko playing RWB (in an official capacity rather than babysitting Aurier) and honestly I think that is probably where we can get the most out of him but I wouldn't want him away from the centre of the pitch without getting in someone who has defensive awareness but also working legs (sorry scara don't mean to diss your boy here). I don't fully agree with the "he's only good enough to be a bench player" considering how he has applied himself over the last couple of seasons and how often he has been the only one out there winning his battles, unlike a few certain bottlers we've had in that midfield.

Either way Hojbjerg makes sense to me, his addition could mean we have the workings of a very strong midfield (about time considering the money we spent last summer), it'd just be finding the right balance and as always it's going to depend on what kind of set up we're facing too.

I think that we've predominantly used Sissoko as a transition player, to quickly break through opposition lines. Under Mourinho he has had to babysit Aurier but that has been from the right rather than at the base of midfield.

If we bring in Hojbjerg, I think that his place in the team is at the expense of Winks/Dier (although I don't expect to see Dier in midfield again any time soon anyway).

We do miss a proper captain in our team, Kane , Lloris are not what is needed. imo

Don't want to drag the transfer thread in to a Sissoko debate or the tactics side of things but I get where you're coming from. It seems a looong time ago now but I remember Sissoko playing RWB (in an official capacity rather than babysitting Aurier) and honestly I think that is probably where we can get the most out of him but I wouldn't want him away from the centre of the pitch without getting in someone who has defensive awareness but also working legs (sorry scara don't mean to diss your boy here). I don't fully agree with the "he's only good enough to be a bench player" considering how he has applied himself over the last couple of seasons and how often he has been the only one out there winning his battles, unlike a few certain bottlers we've had in that midfield.

Either way Hojbjerg makes sense to me, his addition could mean we have the workings of a very strong midfield (about time considering the money we spent last summer), it'd just be finding the right balance and as always it's going to depend on what kind of set up we're facing too.
He played RB when we lost to Brighton
They targeted him and the goals case down our right

I think that we've predominantly used Sissoko as a transition player, to quickly break through opposition lines. Under Mourinho he has had to babysit Aurier but that has been from the right rather than at the base of midfield.

If we bring in Hojbjerg, I think that his place in the team is at the expense of Winks/Dier (although I don't expect to see Dier in midfield again any time soon anyway).

You think Dier will go to CB or be on the bench? Supposed to be signing a new contract so Mourinho musty have some plans for him, been poor lately but also been injured. Maybe the break will have helped him.

I always thought Hojbjerg was just another chavvy clogger, going round hacking at people. I've never really considered him as a footballer. Next time he plays, I'll try and look at him as a "footballer" and see if there is one in there somewhere.

I always thought Hojbjerg was just another chavvy clogger, going round hacking at people. I've never really considered him as a footballer. Next time he plays, I'll try and look at him as a "footballer" and see if there is one in there somewhere.

If we are to play 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder our best guy there is Sissoko in my opinion. A LoCelso-Dele-Winks midfield is to much on the offensive side, we can get easily caught out of place. Just swap Winks with Sissoko and hope Dele can adjust to life as a CM. He will have more time to control and look what to do with the ball, play with less defensive pressure, as his last few matches he just kept losing the ball at an alarming rate.

If we are to play 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder our best guy there is Sissoko in my opinion. A LoCelso-Dele-Winks midfield is to much on the offensive side, we can get easily caught out of place. Just swap Winks with Sissoko and hope Dele can adjust to life as a CM. He will have more time to control and look what to do with the ball, play with less defensive pressure, as his last few matches he just kept losing the ball at an alarming rate.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I meant if we brought in Hojbjerg, so was thinking him plus two.

PSG director Leonardo confirms Edinson Cavani and Thiago Silva are leaving this summer as free agents.

Worth a go....... Obviously can't afford their wages etc

PSG director Leonardo confirms Edinson Cavani and Thiago Silva are leaving this summer as free agents.

The real gem leaving PSG on a free transfer is Tanguy Kouassi - 18-year-old French centre-back, tall, rangy, good on the ball, next big thing. Very ,very highly rated, and impressed in his games in Ligue 1 this season.

His agent confirmed that he'd be leaving PSG on a free for a big signing-on bonus - interestingly, he also confirmed that he wouldn't be moving to either AC Milan or RB Leipzig, the two most rumored destinations.

Some scattered chat that he would like to work with Mourinho - and we could certainly offer him a lot of money to sign on a free.

Could be one to watch, that one. Although he's wanted by basically everyone - Arsenal, Chelski, City, United, us, everyone.

No transfer cost, and no wages, would seem to indicate the sort of deal we could get done

Back