• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

If Poch was really keen on Fazio and Stambouli, I'd hate to think how he will treat players signed who he wasn't that keen on.

Ease them in to the country/English game very gently you mean, rather than throwing them into the deep end and risk ruining their entire Spurs career, like happened to the 7 Beatles? Eriksen managed ok, but Chadli, Capoue, Lamela and Soldado have only pulled it back from the brink a year later, whereas for Paulinho and Chiriches it's probably proved fatal.

It's a very sensible approach, even though I'm as impatient as anyone to see them start ousting Kaboul and Capoue respectively.

Ease them in to the country/English game very gently you mean, rather than throwing them into the deep end and risk ruining their entire Spurs career, like happened to the 7 Beatles? Eriksen managed ok, but Chadli, Capoue, Lamela and Soldado have only pulled it back from the brink a year later, whereas for Paulinho and Chiriches it's probably proved fatal.

It's a very sensible approach, even though I'm as impatient as anyone to see them start ousting Kaboul and Capoue respectively.

How exactly has Soldado "pulled it back" to you? how do you come up with this conclusion?

Eriksen proved himself last season and Chadli has been good this season. Paulinho and Chiriches are lost causes, Soldado and Capoue are not very good and Lamela still needs to improve. On the whole we've ****ed up on the Bale money.

Aguero
Fabregas
Kompany

Everything sorted out :D

ideally yeah :) though i'd settle for sterling whom i consider more a midfielder than a striker.

but you can see how aguero and kompany can individually carry Emirates Marketing Project in some games.

Solid post.

How exactly has Soldado "pulled it back" to you? how do you come up with this conclusion?

Eriksen proved himself last season and Chadli has been good this season. Paulinho and Chiriches are lost causes, Soldado and Capoue are not very good and Lamela still needs to improve. On the whole we've ****ed up on the Bale money.

That's hardly his conclusion. It's just one of many examples in a well made overall point. You jump from that to a completely different conclusion on a different topic.

Ease them into the country? Why are Spurs having such a problem, there are countless examples of players elsewhere arriving here and settling in and having an impact immediately

In fact new players tend to have excellent first years when no one knows what is expected of them

If Poch rates Fazio and Stambouli so highly they would have been in the team by now. Both in defence and deep central midfield we have been poor all season.

Ease them into the country? Why are Spurs having such a problem, there are countless examples of players elsewhere arriving here and settling in and having an impact immediately

In fact new players tend to have excellent first years when no one knows what is expected of them

If Poch rates Fazio and Stambouli so highly they would have been in the team by now. Both in defence and deep central midfield we have been poor all season.

And there are plenty of examples of players being thrown right in and really struggling at first.

Demichelis was close to ridiculed at the start of last season before finishing a fixture for the title winners and right now he looks a better choice than another new (this time multi-million pound) signing. Evra and Vidic at United are other examples. And I, or anyone else, could go on.

Surely the people in the best position to judge if Fazio and Stambouli needed time to settle or not would be the people watching them every day in training... I just don't get that the first two months at a club, a club with a settling team/system and new manager at that is the time to judge if a manager/head coach rates/likes a player or not.

And there are plenty of examples of players being thrown right in and really struggling at first.

Demichelis was close to ridiculed at the start of last season before finishing a fixture for the title winners and right now he looks a better choice than another new (this time multi-million pound) signing. Evra and Vidic at United are other examples. And I, or anyone else, could go on.

Surely the people in the best position to judge if Fazio and Stambouli needed time to settle or not would be the people watching them every day in training... I just don't get that the first two months at a club, a club with a settling team/system and new manager at that is the time to judge if a manager/head coach rates/likes a player or not.

One of the player that I admire most in the Premier league at the moment is Fabricio Coloccini. He was an absolute joke at the start of his Saudi Sportswashing Machine career. Never seen a player look so out of place but he stuck with it, 200 odd appearances later and made captain and now looks decent.

Re: Michael Carrick / JonJo Shelvey

Mertersacker is another

and a young winger whose name escapes me, bit of a flash in the pan light weight step over king iirc what was said at the time, ended up in Spain i think

Its a possibility that Fazio and Stambouli are seen as back ups by Poch, squad players. Is that so out of the question?

And tbh, I'd rather Poch pays attention to how players perform in matches and not in training if this season is anything to go by. The playrrs he selects may be top notch in training but they look anything but in actual matches. Apart from one or two games, Kabul and Capoue have been on the whole average to poor. Have Fazio and Stambouli been so ineffective in training that they cant dislodge their first team counterparts?

Mertersacker is another

and a young winger whose name escapes me, bit of a flash in the pan light weight step over king iirc what was said at the time, ended up in Spain i think

That lightweight with big ears actually was an instant hit when he first played, quite a revelation with his storming runs up and down the left side. It was a serious ankle injury which halted his progress iirc

of course it's not out of the possibility, but the way you are carrying on about it it comes across as though you think there's only one answer as to why they aren't in the team - and that's because Pochettino doesn't rate them. we're just pointing out that isn't the only scenario possible

Its a possibility that Fazio and Stambouli are seen as back ups by Poch, squad players. Is that so out of the question?

And tbh, I'd rather Poch pays attention to how players perform in matches and not in training if this season is anything to go by. The playrrs he selects may be top notch in training but they look anything but in actual matches. Apart from one or two games, Kabul and Capoue have been on the whole average to poor. Have Fazio and Stambouli been so ineffective in training that they cant dislodge their first team counterparts?

Who has said that it's out of the question? All I'm saying is that it's impossible to know at this point from the outside. What you've said so far has seemed some distance removed from "keeping the possibility of them being seen as backup as a potential truth".

The second paragraph seems way too simplistic and speculative.

anyway, both these players were signed at/near the end of the window iirc and from what has been published about Pochettino we know he is a bit of a stickler for fitness and getting players in the right shape before bringing them in to the team (when possible) i think we have seen from the past couple of seasons that chopping and changing the team too much can have an adverse effect and to me i think it's more likely than not it's no more than a combination of fitness and not wanting to disrupt the first team with too many changes early on in the season which has kept these two players on the sidelines.

of course it's not out of the possibility, but the way you are carrying on about it it comes across as though you think there's only one answer as to why they aren't in the team - and that's because Pochettino doesn't rate them. we're just pointing out that isn't the only scenario possible

Oh yeah I get that, anything is possible. Its just my opinion what I mentioned earlier. We shall see how things pan out. Anyway I would have liked to have seen more of Fazio and Stambouli in PL games up until now for reasons outlined above.

Ease them in to the country/English game very gently you mean, rather than throwing them into the deep end and risk ruining their entire Spurs career.

GB, I hear ya, but not sure there is a blueprint set in stone. All players are different and react differently and have to be treated as such. In an ideal world everyone should be given time. Its a business, however. When you choose to go out and buy a host of foreigners its not really always practical as a competitive club to then afford them 3 years to settle in. Fazio and Soldo are vets. When Chelski signed Eto last season on a 1 year deal, even tho he had never played in the PL or in England before, they must not have been too concerned about the prospect of having to 'ease him in very gently'. Regardless of how he actually turned out, their strategy up front must have been that he'd come in and hit the ground running. Part of the evaluation when/before buying a player must be a projection of how quickly you feel they will adapt. When we bought Soldo I doubt we felt it would take him this long to settle in and make an impact regardless of the circumstances that have transpired at the club.

GB, I hear ya, but not sure there is a blueprint set in stone. All players are different and react differently and have to be treated as such. In an ideal world everyone should be given time. Its a business, however. When you choose to go out and buy a host of foreigners its not really always practical as a competitive club to then afford them 3 years to settle in. Fazio and Soldo are vets. When Chelski signed Eto last season on a 1 year deal, even tho he had never played in the PL or in England before, they must not have been too concerned about the prospect of having to 'ease him in very gently'. Regardless of how he actually turned out, their strategy up front must have been that he'd come in and hit the ground running. Part of the evaluation when/before buying a player must be a projection of how quickly you feel they will adapt. When we bought Soldo I doubt we felt it would take him this long to settle in and make an impact regardless of the circumstances that have transpired at the club.

Sure. And both Sambouli and Fazio were signed in positions where we had other players available. Thus no need to stress about them not being given games in their first two months.

Very much unlike Soldado where, after the freezing out of Ade, he seemed a very obvious first choice.

------------------------

I also think that in this whole discussion it's important to remember that Poch is trying to implement a new style with a team that suffered massive upheaval throughout last season. For him to say at the start of the season that he wasn't going to chop and change a ton in the league, but rather try to play a fairly consistent 11 and try to get them to gel seems like a pretty solid approach. Of course we can't know this is what he's doing, but I just think it's worth remembering that there's more to factor in here.

I don't think anyone did really. In fact I'm still quite surprised he hasn't been scoring more regularly and can hardly believe some of the chances he is missing. Chances he would have gobbled up if in his Valencia form. However I still have a large degree of faith that he will go on scoring run if he can just bang in a few goals in the league. Strikers are all about confidence and Soldado in the league in particular looks uptight when shooting. He has been snatching at and shanking shots regularly and to me that is a sign of a lack of confidence, nothing more. He's playing well overall though which is good to see.

As for transfers, I still think Schneiderlin would be a great acquisition and an upgrade on Capoue. I'd like us to really try and land Depay as an upgrade on Lennon, who has been a good servant to the club but has lost his attacking mojo IMO. I was impressed with Benteke the other day but I still like Bony a bit more as an upgrade on Ade. We probably won't get any of these players so I'll settle for Thomas Muller.

Last edited:
GB, forgot to add, that I feel irrespective of what may have happened before, Paulinho and Chiriches still have chances with this new coach and system and I reckon he will have told them that. Its still in their hands and control to impress and grasp opportunities.

Back