• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham v Everton OMT***

Match Result

• Total voters
Unreal.

After a poor first half, I cant believe we havent won that match in the end. 2 amazing saves by their keeper.

Have to say we looked far better with Janssen on the pitch. 2nd half was chalk and cheese from the first
Agree. We should have won.

Disappointing performances from Alli, Kane and Eriksen, 1st and 2nd halves. As Cochise said, Alli deep nullifies his attacking threat.

Walker and Alderweireld the pick of our bunch. Lamela too actually.

Good second half. Think it was 2 points dropped. Shame really. They were there for the taking.

Kane
Erisken
Dele

Below par. Need to improve.

Waker
Rose
Lamela
Janssen
Vert
Toby

Good performance.

Always said we need someone better than erisken. A special player there.

not a disaster but I'm far from happy with that performance, very lazy generally

Walker and Lamela were better than the rest, Vorm and Janssen improved on the players they replaced

it was nearer the Saudi Sportswashing Machine performance than last season's average sadly

id say it was nearer last seasons average. Thats how we generally tend to play and simply rely on Harry or Dele to dig us out of a hole. We have a set way of playing, long diagonals from Walker and Toby, width provided by the full backs, slowly maintain possession which allows the opposition to get back into solid defensive blocks, Alli and Eriksen have very little space to create. its all the same

Could have been worse. Well done Vorm that was a turning point, no way back from 2-0

Could have been better. Janssen maybe should have scored, but credit the goalie and what a vital touch on Lamela's deflected shot.

Kane and Janssen should start next week, surely we dont need Dier and Wanyama at home to Palace?

Well, we have started better than last season at least, points wise. Janssen made a difference, we were more direct and it was telling. Lamelaaa !!! My fave Spurs playaaa...

Is Eriksen really asking for 150k p.w. ??

Once again Eriksen was the weak sister of the team. He really tinkles me of with his weak efforts in challenges and if the ball is in the air, just forget about it.

Truly a ''match of two halves". Thought we were poor in the first. Completely dominated the second. Shame we couldn't finish them off but hey, at least we didn't lose 5-1. Onwards and upwards.

All told, a fair result, although we could and should have taken greater advantage of Everton's flagging fitness towards the end. Once Barkley put that early one in, it was always going to be extremely difficult to penetrate a three-man central defense protected by three defensive midfielders (Barry, Gueye and McCarthy). However, that doesn't really excuse the slow, laboured way we built up to the surge once Everton tired, though.

Lamela did well, as did Toby and Walker. Jansen looked energetic when he came on, although he really should have put away the shot that Stekelenburg saved. Alli and Kane were both disappointing throughout, and Alli in particular gave the ball away in dangerous positions numerous times, although again, playing up against Everton's three-man defensive midfield probably didn't help him much.

Poch has some things to chew on as he heads back to HW. We didn't lose, so that's better than last season's start - but some of the vulnerabilities of last season (opening up packed defenses, sluggish starts) are still present, and worryingly so.

We were poor for 80 minutes, so a point is not bad in that respect. When I saw Everton's line-up, I thought it was a team we should beat though, and we failed to do that. I think if they hadn't gotten that early, it would have been a very different game. It gave them belief and momentum.

We did look off the pace though, I think, at least in the beginning of teh game. Might be a case of a lot of hard training in pre-season resulting in heavy legs. We were too late in the pressure, and were always where the ball had been half a second ago. Late in the game, Everton tired, and we still had fuel left in the tank. Very unlucky not to get the decisive goal there. Very typical Spurs that a goalkeeper who has been absoluitely useless for years now, pull off two top class saves against us. Janssen should have done better, I thought, but the save from Lamela's effort was a great one.

So, a bit frustrating not winning after those two late chances, but I would have taken a draw at half time. We coudl easily have been two goals down too, so a draw was probably a fair result.

Individually I thought Alderweireld had a good game and was our best player. Walker, Dier and Lamela were the other positives. I hope Dier's injury is not serious (I assume he was inured as there was no reason to sub him otherwise). The last thing we need is an injury on him when Dembele is still out.

Vertonghen looked rusty and he doesn't like facing players like Delofeu when we are holding a high line. Rose was mostly, okay, but almost gifted them a goal. Alli and Eriksen were disappointing and didn't look sharp. Poor touches. Kane was a bit better, but distinctly average.

All told, a fair result, although we could and should have taken greater advantage of Everton's flagging fitness towards the end. Once Barkley put that early one in, it was always going to be extremely difficult to penetrate a three-man central defense protected by three defensive midfielders (Barry, Gueye and McCarthy). However, that doesn't really excuse the slow, laboured way we built up to the surge once Everton tired, though.

Lamela did well, as did Toby and Walker. Jansen looked energetic when he came on, although he really should have put away the shot that Stekelenburg saved. Alli and Kane were both disappointing throughout, and Alli in particular gave the ball away in dangerous positions numerous times, although again, playing up against Everton's three-man defensive midfield probably didn't help him much.

Poch has some things to chew on as he heads back to HW. We didn't lose, so that's better than last season's start - but some of the vulnerabilities of last season (opening up packed defenses, sluggish starts) are still present, and worryingly so.

Needs to having a word with Mr Levy to see whats in the kitty before Aug 31

id say it was nearer last seasons average. Thats how we generally tend to play and simply rely on Harry or Dele to dig us out of a hole. We have a set way of playing, long diagonals from Walker and Toby, width provided by the full backs, slowly maintain possession which allows the opposition to get back into solid defensive blocks, Alli and Eriksen have very little space to create. its all the same
I don't agree with that. We played good football last season, and didn't get as many points as our performances merited in terms of overall play and chances created. I thought we were the best team in the league.

The season before, however, we got more points than we deserved.

Dele, said himself that he felt nowhere near match fit against Inter. Stands to reason that he is still off the pace.

Thats the issue. It was the same last season. We started off slow.
In the past we played 5-6 pre season friendlies. Under Poch its 3.
The idea is probably to save legs for the end of the season.
But we sent out a very rusty team. Only 2 players (Wanyama and Lamela) had played more than 90 minutes in the last 6 weeks.

First paragraph of Guardian's story:

"Tottenham should have won this game and they know it. Everton were the most obliging of opponents, slightly fortunate to take an early lead and positively delusional if they imagined they would be able to hang on to it for 85 minutes. In the end they were glad of a point, so small was their share of the game and so limited their attacking efforts, while Spurs will be satisfied with the result but acutely aware they could have done better."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/13/everton-tottenham-premier-league-match-report

Back