• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham v Everton OMT***

Match Result

• Total voters
They are at home and absolutely on the ropes. We've been all over them all game, just can't get through all the defenders... they are tiring. We had chances, just need one to bounce in off someone's elbow.

Frustrating that Lloris let in such a massively soft freekick, you HAVE to cover the flight of the ball. Nobody will blame you if it is headed in, you HAVE to save that freekick.

Lloris isn't at fault for that. He can't gamble that no-one will get a touch.

He has to play the percentages and cover the middle.

How many goals like that do you see versus headers?

We were very sluggish at the start and gave very average side encouragement - could and should have won it once we got head clear of preseason cobwebs.

Will take a point from the first away game 5.5/10

Point away at Everton, in the context of a season, is a half decent result. Would be better if it had been as a result of a decent performance but, as that old adage goes, picking up points when you're not playing well is the sign of a good team

I can't believe Janssen's shot was saved. Anyone have a gif? Keeper must have guessed where the ball would go.

So I had to make do with 5-Live today, load of sh1t that kept cutting away to the Olympics to see what chinless tw*t won the gold at sitting down.

From the "commentary" it sounded like we were poor first half, Janssen came on and we started playing better and maybe could have won it -- a draw probably a fair result overall. Hope Hugo isn't too badly hurt.

I thought the first-half was terrible by our standards. Common pushed up tight on our FBs, put men deep and played like a hard-working away side, but there were pockets of positive space behind Kane which neither Eriksen or Dele seemed confident enough to push into. Tentative would be my observation, and in Eriksen's case, weak on the ball too. He is a playmaker, we need him to step up and make things happen. He went 'Wilkins' far too often today. Wanyama was try enough, Dier excellent, Jan awful, Lamela OK, FBs strong when they could get a chance (save Rose's bad back-pass) and Hazza robbed by a poor riffing decision. Second-half was obviously much better (it had to be!) and yes, Jansen was excellent and looks like he is going to score a bunch TBH. Lamela robbed of a second. I expected us to win today given the weakness of Everton's line-up, and had we played 20% for even 20% more the match, we'd have done so. I am going to view it as cobwebs being blown off as we find our flow...

Great that we have some more competition for places this season - last year we didnt have a CF who could come on to challenge/cover Kane. Equally, if we lost one of our two first choice CMs last year we would have had to play Mason or another younger player. Could now really do with a decent attacked so that we could take of Alli or Eriksen if they're quiet, and not have to bring on a kid like Onomah

Things picked up when Janssen came on for Dier. As just about everyone predicted, we lacked creativity and pace with Dier and Wanyama in the middle, and it could have been either who came off. Had we started with one of them and one of Janssen/Mason/Carroll/Winks, I think things would have flowed better in the first half.

I'm going for the 1-1, with Janssen coming off the bench to net the equaliser in the final ten.

Close enough.

A bit typical from us this. Poor start, sloppy goal conceeded, a moment of brilliance for the equaliser, then much better play and massive pressure from us, including huge chances brilliantly saved by the opponent goalie. Would've liked a win of course, but it's a decent start to the season. From now on I'd like us to be switched on from the first minute, though.

Annoying the predictability of the game. Wanyama - see his thread - he gives away too many little fouls. And that led to Everton's goal. Then many predicted Dier and Wanyama wouldn't have enough offensive contribution - when Janssen came on for Dier we perked up.

Two things that were predictable (especially in hindsight! but both were written in these threads too).

I was surprised Poch left Alli on. To be fair last season he would look average through games then do something special and score or open up the game. But he was off today, Winks or Mason second half surely would have been better.

Poch is terrific with analysis and addressing issues - constantly impressed with this side of him. But he clearly doesn't foresee things all too well always.

Last edited:
I think the plan was for Wanyama and Dier to fill in for Rose and Walker and allow them to attack freely. Decent idea. But first half Everton's own full backs pushed up and got tight stopping our full backs from getting forward too much.

Wanyama needs to do what Dembele did. Get settled and start to impose himself. I think he can attack as well as defend. Just needs to settle in the team and build confidence.

Are we stronger than last year? Absolutely. We could do with maybe one or two more players. Another forward - especially if Kane and Janssen are both too good to bench. We need cover for them.

To be honest I think the issue is pretty simple, the Poch 4231 struggles against 3 man defences. It's harder for us to pressure the opposition because they have easier out balls, will be forced less in to mistakes and our striker is isolated, unable to bring in the 3 in behind.

With two strikers on, we can impose ourselves more. The strikers compliment each other and we give their defence more pressure when closing down, meaning our game plan can be put into effect.

I think this happens every time we play a 3 man defence. I hope we either anticipate the teams that will do this or work to adapt quickly in games when we come up against it.

We need to start games much quicker. It was a common failing last season too and we should go for victory right from the get go. Somehow Poch must find the answer to this Achilles heel of ours and quickly.

To be honest I think the issue is pretty simple, the Poch 4231 struggles against 3 man defences. It's harder for us to pressure the opposition because they have easier out balls, will be forced less in to mistakes and our striker is isolated, unable to bring in the 3 in behind.

With two strikers on, we can impose ourselves more. The strikers compliment each other and we give their defence more pressure when closing down, meaning our game plan can be put into effect.

I think this happens every time we play a 3 man defence. I hope we either anticipate the teams that will do this or work to adapt quickly in games when we come up against it.

Agreed. Poch should have spotted this and changed things much quicker. Hopefully he will learn from this.

Back