• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***Tottenham v Everton OMT***

Match Result

• Total voters
To be honest I think the issue is pretty simple, the Poch 4231 struggles against 3 man defences. It's harder for us to pressure the opposition because they have easier out balls, will be forced less in to mistakes and our striker is isolated, unable to bring in the 3 in behind.

With two strikers on, we can impose ourselves more. The strikers compliment each other and we give their defence more pressure when closing down, meaning our game plan can be put into effect.

I think this happens every time we play a 3 man defence. I hope we either anticipate the teams that will do this or work to adapt quickly in games when we come up against it.
Several of us pointed out last season that we missed a second striker to help break down teams that park the bus. The counter argument, which didn't convince me, was that you don't bring on a second striker in those situations but rather another attacking midfielder. It's an interesting debate. Today showed that having 2 strikers on the pitch can be decisive in a way we lacked last season. It's early days but the Kane/Janssen partnership looks good. Hopefully he will be a big signing for us.

I hope VJ will be a big signing for us too. We need to get him on to work with Kane against the so called lesser teams and those who are bus parkers.

I was half expecting Harry to sit this out on the bench and start with janssen.
Harry and delle could both do with a break.

I
Several of us pointed out last season that we missed a second striker to help break down teams that park the bus. The counter argument, which didn't convince me, was that you don't bring on a second striker in those situations but rather another attacking midfielder. It's an interesting debate. Today showed that having 2 strikers on the pitch can be decisive in a way we lacked last season. It's early days but the Kane/Janssen partnership looks good. Hopefully he will be a big signing for us.

I think against 3 centre backs, the answer is probably another striker. Against a variation of 2 centre backs, I probably lean towards another attacking midfielder / moving Dele back into the deeper two because he will naturally break forward.

I

I think against 3 centre backs, the answer is probably another striker. Against a variation of 2 centre backs, I probably lean towards another attacking midfielder / moving Dele back into the deeper two because he will naturally break forward.
I think we lack tricksters and dribblers up front. Players who are comfortable going into 1v2 situations and dragging defences out of shape.

I am hoping that Dier and Wanyama means we have the option of pushing Dembele up in place of Eriksen

And I hope we get a another dribbler or trickster too

Sent from my SM-G930F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I was half expecting Harry to sit this out on the bench and start with janssen.
Harry and delle could both do with a break.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Janssen start on matchday 3, if Harry's performance in the next game is similar to this one.

Pochs comments that Lloris going off stopped us being able to play are very worrying - our players need to develop more leadership and responsibility very quickly.

Pochs comments that Lloris going off stopped us being able to play are very worrying - our players need to develop more leadership and responsibility very quickly.

why did he say such a stupid thing:rolleyes:

Not really disappointed with this draw. Was hoping we could manage to win our first match of the season. But not surprised we struggled and didn't do enough to win despite our second half revival. Traditionally we are slow starters and it showed again in this match. We didn't turn up in the first half and were lucky not to have gone 2 or 3 goals down. We did well to recover in the 2nd half but it was not enough to give us the win.

Great to see Lamela continuing his goal run from last season. He has now scored 3 and assisted 4 goals in his last 7 matches for us. It was a great header from him for the goal. In fact, Lamela was very unlucky not to score another as his shot was deflected by the defender and goalie on to the bar late on. In contrast, Kane was very poor and didn't even touch the ball much the whole match. Kane always seems to find his form 2 or 3 months after the season starts. Maybe Janssen should play in place of Kane until then. Janssen did well when he came on but should have scored from his near-goal chance late in the second half.

Our midfield were really disappointing in this match. It is clear Dier and Wanyama cannot play together in midfield as they are too defensive minded. This match showed we badly need a creative midfield who could make the difference for us in tight matches. Wanyama had a decent match but he was guilty of giving away the stupid freekick from which Everton scored. Eriksen had a poor match and should have done better with the freekick in the second half. Not sure why Eriksen still takes our freekicks as he has been shyte at freekicks for 2 seasons now. Alli too had a poor match and was guilty at giving away the ball which put goal in danger on at least 2 occasions.

It seemed like our defence were still on holiday mood as Everton had too many chances to score. It was really annoying to concede the goal direct from the freekick like that. Lloris should have dealt with it comfortably. It is disappointing to see Lloris goes off injured in our first match of the season. Hope he will come back for the next match. Was worried when Vorm replaced Lloris but he did well to make the crucial one-on-one safe late in the second half. Credit to Walker for the inch perfect cross for the goal. Thought Walker had a good match.

Disappointingly we are now winless in 5 league matches from last season. Hope we will get back to winning ways against Palace in our next match.

Even if one of those two strikers then goes into midfield as an attacking midfielder.;)

Not surprised we only got a point ( said the same before the game), we held on a little in the first half but from 60 minutes onwards there was only one team in it. Several players were below their best do not agree with those in here who said we had several who were really poor.

Lloris should have been more aware for the first goal but these things happen, Walker was great going forward and run Baines ragged. Jan started slowly ( not surprising with no friendly games) but got better as the game went on, Lamela scored a great goals and he is getting better all the time, Janssen was the man who changed the game once he came on and Kane dropped a little and Everton were really struggling.

It's early days but Janssen looks like he is going to be a real handful for opposing teams and Wanyama will be a asset as the season progresses. Said earlier that Alli struggled but its normal for young players to do that in their second season, i have no doubt that we will see him on the bench on occasion as the season goes on.

when was the last time we won an opening game on the road ? delighted we got a point, 1 point more than we had at the same stage last season. The worst pre-season schedule we've ever had definitely contributed to that awful first half, onwards and upwards, we're ahead of the scum, lets stay ahead of them all season

when was the last time we won an opening game on the road ? delighted we got a point, 1 point more than we had at the same stage last season. The worst pre-season schedule we've ever had definitely contributed to that awful first half, onwards and upwards, we're ahead of the scum, lets stay ahead of them all season

2 years ago at West Ham.

Dieeeeerrrrrrr 1-0

I heard on TV that Tottenham has lost more opening games in the PL than anyone else (9). At least we didn't add to that stat.

Bearing in mind we have been away about 15 times out of 23 is it? That stat does not surprise me

By rights. Arsenal should have have the best, because will have been at home the same number of times on the opening day, but I doubt they are as the do seem to have lost a few recently. Villa,West Ham and Liverpool spring to mind

Back