• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****** Tottenham Hotspur vs Stoke City OMT *******

We've scored 6 goals from set pieces this season, only 6 teams have managed more. Our corners today were far more threatening that Stoke's and not just because we had more of them.

Possession: 63%-37%
Pass Success: 86%-68%
Aerial Success: 38%-62%
Offsides: 1-2
Fouls: 8-12
Corners: 11-4
Throw ins: 30-16
Dribbles: 7-6
Tackles: 24-25

Total Shots: 22-4
On Target: 5-1
Off Target: 8-2
Hit Woodwork: 0-0
Blocked: 9-1

Please name the ones we have scored directly from a crossed corner?

KD has a good point imo.

Vertonghen wasn't really playing LB at all in the game. He spent more time running down the wings than anyone in the team today.

He doesn't want to see that mate and will resort to insults rather then actually see how the game panned out.

Vertonghen had ridiculous amounts of space and that's exactly why Bale at lb would have been amazing today. We would have also been able to get Gylfi to move in centrally and support the front 2 and thus have another body to attack the crosses being put into the box.

Stoke came to defend (like we all knew was going to happen before the game) so who gives a fudge how bad Bale has been at LB before when all he's going to do this game is attack. imo we would have won comfortably doing that but that's only imo.

We could do with moving the ball a bit quicker though and I do think a slower tempo is something that AVB wants.

We performed well against - Swansea, Panathanikos, West Ham, Maribor, Aston Villa.

Don't let that stop you though.

Forget Euorpe and concentrate on the PL . So that leaves Swansea. We played ok but again struggled to break them down and won with a slightly dubious Verts (possible offside) goal.
West Ham - we were brick until a bit of magic from Defoe. Villa - were just shocking and we didnt exactly pull up any trees.

That leaves - WBA - poor, Norwich - brick, Wigan - diabolical, Stoke - boring, Chelsea - outplayed.

So where is the game we played really well in for 90 minutes?

He doesn't want to see that mate and will resort to insults rather then actually see how the game panned out.

Vertonghen had ridiculous amounts of space and that's exactly why Bale at lb would have been amazing today. We would have also been able to get Gylfi to move in centrally and support the front 2 and thus have another body to attack the crosses being put into the box.

Stoke came to defend (like we all knew was going to happen before the game) so who gives a fudge how bad Bale has been at LB before when all he's going to do this game is attack. imo we would have won comfortably doing that but that's only imo.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but i think we would have had a better chance.

In all honesty it's not something i would have called beforehand, i assumed Stoke would offer more of a threat and we'd need Caulker/Dawson to help out at set pieces.

So kudos for the call really. :p

Nzonzi should have been a straight red, we knew how Stoke would play but still struggled to create jack brick, while being useful players like Defoe, Ade and Walker need upgrading, positives kept a clean sheet and looked generally well set up and well balanced.

Don't weasel out of it, we were specifically referring to corners, as you well know

Tottenham 2 QPR 1, match report:

'First, Caulker's header at the back post flew in off the chest of Faurlin.....'

http://www.premierleague.com/conten...2-2013/epl.match-report.html/tottenham-vs-qpr

Tottenham 2 Aston Villa 0

'Goal Tottenham! And it's birthday boy Jermain Defoe who sweeps it in direct from a corner. It took a slight deflection off CAulker's heel.'

http://au.eurosport.com/football/pr...nham-hotspur-aston-villa_mtc515609/live.shtml

Those are two, again off the top of my head.. There are a few others from free-kicks. Over the course of the season, that will add up to far, far more than we got over the course of thr last season.

Forget Euorpe and concentrate on the PL . So that leaves Swansea. We played ok but again struggled to break them down and won with a slightly dubious Verts (possible offside) goal.
West Ham - we were brick until a bit of magic from Defoe. Villa - were just shocking and we didnt exactly pull up any trees.

That leaves - WBA - poor, Norwich - brick, Wigan - diabolical, Stoke - boring, Chelsea - outplayed.

Forget Europe because it doesn't fit in with your point?

Forget this. Moving the goalposts mid-point.

Tottenham 2 QPR 1, match report:

'First, Caulker's header at the back post flew in off the chest of Faurlin.....'

http://www.premierleague.com/conten...2-2013/epl.match-report.html/tottenham-vs-qpr

Tottenham 2 Aston Villa 0

'Goal Tottenham! And it's birthday boy Jermain Defoe who sweeps it in direct from a corner. It took a slight deflection off CAulker's heel.'

http://au.eurosport.com/football/pr...nham-hotspur-aston-villa_mtc515609/live.shtml

Those are two, again off the top of my head.. There are a few others from free-kicks. Over the course of the season, that will add up to far, far more than we got over the course of thr last season.

Caulker, Dawson and Sig have all scored headers from freekicks IIRC.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but i think we would have had a better chance.

In all honesty it's not something i would have called beforehand, i assumed Stoke would offer more of a threat and we'd need Caulker/Dawson to help out at set pieces.

So kudos for the call really. :p
How is it Kudos for the call? It's just theory, he might have had a mare, Shotton might have provided an assist where Bale was etc... How could we know. There is a balance, but perhaps in hindsight perhaps we could have done it in the second half. If Sigs header goes in then there was no problem

How is it Kudos for the call? It's just theory, he might have had a mare, Shotton might have provided an assist where Bale was etc... How could we know. There is a balance, but perhaps in hindsight perhaps we could have done it in the second half. If Sigs header goes in then there was no problem

It's kudos for the call because of the way Stoke played.

Do you think they would have significantly changed the way they were playing because we moved Bale back to LB?

I sure don't. They pretty much always play the same way away from home.

Last edited:

Exactly. Bale at LB would change the dynamics of the game, maybe Stoke tries to use their right wing more as they know Bale will be up the other end most of the time.

The difference with last season is that we are stronger in central midfield at winning the ball back but we have no creativity. Sandro and Dembele dont have that last pass in them.

With Lennon doing nothing again and Bale not sharp today, we just couldnt break them down.

Do you think they would have significantly changed the way they were playing because we moved Bale back to LB?

I sure don't.
Again you don't prove a point, because we haven't way of proving that. Maybe playing Falque would have won us the game. Maybe Carroll would have provided the crucial pass to win us the game? It's all just hypothetical. I think its a fair shout it may have won us the game but I'm not gonna knock AVB for not doing that

I sure don't.

Possibly. Walters would probably have been shifted over to the left, to harry and harass Bale, while Jones would drift left to pick up on any possible opportunity created by Walters. One of their CMs would have gotten forward into the space vacated by Jones, dragging either Sandro or Dembele with him. We'd have to re-jig our entire approach, and might have risked losing our newly-found defensive solidity without a guarantee of any greater attacking threat.

Again you don't prove a point, because we haven't way of proving that. Maybe playing Falque would have won us the game. Maybe Carroll would have provided the crucial pass to win us the game? It's all just hypothetical. I think its a fair shout it may have won us the game but I'm not gonna knock AVB for not doing that

I didn't diss AVB for not calling it. I just praised KD because i think he made the right call..

I know we have no way of proving it. Just like we have no way of proving pretty much anything said on this forum because it's all hypothetical banter. I am wondering why you have chosen to single out that one post rather than the other millions of hypothetical posts on this forum.

I remember Walker crossing in and Dempsey scoring from the free kick as well, might have been in Europe though.

LOL you are one of those people that doesn't understand the offside rule since it was updated to phases. You might get a job on MOTD out of that ;)
As soon as the swansea player headed the ball there was a new phase of offside. Vertonghen was definitely onside when the Swansea player played the ball.

I didn't diss AVB for not calling it. I just praised KD because i think he made the right call..

I know we have no way of proving it. Just like we have no way of proving pretty much anything said on this forum because it's all hypothetical banter. I am wondering why you have chosen to single out that one post rather than the other millions of hypothetical posts on this forum.
I'm flabbergasted at the anger directed towards our manager and the decisions he is being criticised for. A lot of opinions make us sound so frigging fairweather, and really show that a lot are part of the 'sing when your winning' phalanx.

I'm not picking this one out in particular, just decided to respond to a post, don't need to be patronised on how to use a forum

Back