• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****** Tottenham Hotspur vs Stoke City OMT *******

Agree with that, but will Levy back him?

AVB has said we probably won't buy any new players, which is worrying.

To be fair, this is probably a psychological ploy; if you let it be known that you are in the market for players, the selling clubs all put their prices up and the agents start to price up their own pounds of flesh?

He doesn't want to see that mate and will resort to insults rather then actually see how the game panned out.

Vertonghen had ridiculous amounts of space and that's exactly why Bale at lb would have been amazing today. We would have also been able to get Gylfi to move in centrally and support the front 2 and thus have another body to attack the crosses being put into the box.

Stoke came to defend (like we all knew was going to happen before the game) so who gives a fudge how bad Bale has been at LB before when all he's going to do this game is attack. imo we would have won comfortably doing that but that's only imo.

Good points made and I think Bale at LB could have worked today. We would have effectively had an extra man.
He was LB for one game this season and it didn't work and we improved dramatically when Verts(?) replaced him there.
Some had concluded before he is not an LB and used that game to prove themselves right.
If and when he leaves Spurs I think he will play as LB.

To be fair, this is probably a psychological ploy; if you let it be known that you are in the market for players, the selling clubs all put their prices up and the agents start to price up their own pounds of flesh?

Er..

Surely the selling clubs all realise that you are buying players when.. you know.. you start making them offers? 8-[

Good points made and I think Bale at LB could have worked today. We would have effectively had an extra man.
He was LB for one game this season and it didn't work and we improved dramatically when Verts(?) replaced him there.
Some had concluded before he is not an LB and used that game to prove themselves right.

Why would it have worked today?

At times today, we were almost playing a 352 (or 253) formation with one, or either of the full backs pushed well forward.

The only way you can score against a team (like Stoke) that "parks the bus" is to push the opponents deep, then as they are defending on the 6-yard box is to hope that someone like Sigurdsson or Dembele can arrive late to thump one in from 12 to 18 yards?

At times today, we were almost playing a 352 (or 253) formation with one, or either of the full backs pushed well forward.

The only way you can score against a team (like Stoke) that "parks the bus" is to push the opponents deep, then as they are defending on the 6-yard box is to hope that someone like Sigurdsson or Dembele can arrive late to thump one in from 12 to 18 yards?

The best way is to actually have a real hard fudging go at them from the get go - with pace, impetus, purpose and a will to win. Not go and perform int he manner with the tactics we did in the first half.

You have to get an early goal its vital... we didnt show anything in the first half.

I think Bale at LB could have worked today. We would have effectively had an extra man.

I personally would like to see Bale at LB against teams that park the bus, but you make good points.

It could have worked better because you get an additional attacking player on the pitch.

Bale at LB? That means you can move vertonghen inside, which means you can get rid of our least effective ball playing CB, Dawson.

Effectively replacing him with Dempsey/Siggurdsson.

More attacking players means more players able to take and create a chance, and two ball playing CB's means less hoofing it up the pitch at our strikers.

It could have worked better because you get an additional attacking player on the pitch.

Bale at LB? That means you can move vertonghen inside, which means you can get rid of our least effective ball playing CB, Dawson.

Effectively replacing him with Dempsey/Siggurdsson.

More attacking players means more players able to take and create a chance, and two ball playing CB's means less hoofing it up the pitch at our strikers.

Good point, well made.

I have to say that Stoke were quite impressive today. It wasn't just long ball and their defense is extremely well organised.
But watching the highlights both Bale and Ade could have scored with headers and obviously The Sigg.
Last term I remember the away game that we were robbed by the ref-but I can't remember the home game we drew 1-1.

I have to say that Stoke were quite impressive today. It wasn't just long ball and their defense is extremely well organised.
But watching the highlights both Bale and Ade could have scored with headers and obviously The Sigg.
Last term I remember the away game that we were robbed by the ref-but I can't remember the home game we drew 1-1.

Stoke were very well drilled to be fair. We do need more creativity, and for me intensity. I'd like to see us up the tempo and keep teams pegged back for longer periods. But I'm sure we will have many more down days but hopefully many more up days. We need to string some results together over the next few games.

Why wasn't Gareth's attempt to score direct from a corner on MOTD? Who was the ex-Spurs guy who did score last week? I have been drinking so much in the last few weeks I am not sure what day of the week it is.

Stoke were very well drilled to be fair. We do need more creativity, and for me intensity. I'd like to see us up the tempo and keep teams pegged back for longer periods. But I'm sure we will have many more down days but hopefully many more up days. We need to string some results together over the next few games.

I think we really missed Dempsey in this game. Having 2 strikers often left a hole in front of Sandro/Dembele. Would like to see Sig against Villa if Clint isn't available.

Really disappointed about the result. Thought we would do well to win. But we didn't look like scoring the entire match except for Sigurdsson's header. Despite having 22 shots on goal, we only had 5 on target which is very poor. I think this match proves we still need to sign a quality signing who could make the difference for us against defensive teams, someone who could get the all-important goal and be a match winner.

We have now only scored 2 goals in the last 3 league matches since the return of Adebayor. Before that, we had scored 8 goals in 3 matches when Adebayor was suspended. I think this proves, the inclusion of Adebayor in the first eleven has unsettled our attack, especially Defoe. Defoe looked very sharp before that when he was the lone striker. It is not really surprising that our attack looked toothless again. Both Adebayor and Defoe didn't even have any shots on target.

Disappointed with the contribution of our midfield, especially Dembele. Thought Dembele will provide us the cutting edge to win tight matches but he has not really done that. Even Bale didn't have a good game. For some reason, Bale didn't look ruthless in attacks. Maybe he is still not fully yet. I think we relied too much on Bale to open up the Stokde defence. Expected more from Lennon but again he was disappointing. Really don't know why Lennon cannot improve on his crosses and shots over the years.

I think there was nothing AVB could have done as our options were so limited due to Dempsey's injury. There was no one we had on the bench who could get us the all-important winning goal. Sigurdsson did well with the header but again he was unlucky like against Everton. Our lack of quality players really cost us this match. Wish we had another striker like Pavly to call upon to get us the winning goal.

Despite the disappointing draw, one positive thing from this match is we kept clean sheet for the second consecutive match. Good to know our defending is getting better. But while doing that we should make sure we don't lose out in attacks. We need to rediscover our winning mentality fast. Hope Defoe will rediscover his goal scoring boots in the coming matches.

I think we really missed Dempsey in this game. Having 2 strikers often left a hole in front of Sandro/Dembele. Would like to see Sig against Villa if Clint isn't available.

Agreed. Can't believe we missed Dempsey ! But I think it is time to drop Adebayor and play Dempsey and Defoe in attack again.

Really disappointed about the result. Thought we would do well to win. But we didn't look like scoring the entire match except for Sigurdsson's header. Despite having 22 shots on goal, we only had 5 on target which is very poor. I think this match proves we still need to sign a quality signing who could make the difference for us against defensive teams, someone who could get the all-important goal and be a match winner.

We have now only scored 2 goals in the last 3 league matches since the return of Adebayor. Before that, we had scored 8 goals in 3 matches when Adebayor was suspended. I think this proves, the inclusion of Adebayor in the first eleven has unsettled our attack, especially Defoe. Defoe looked very sharp before that when he was the lone striker. It is not really surprising that our attack looked toothless again. Both Adebayor and Defoe didn't even have any shots on target.

Disappointed with the contribution of our midfield, especially Dembele. Thought Dembele will provide us the cutting edge to win tight matches but he has not really done that. Even Bale didn't have a good game. For some reason, Bale didn't look ruthless in attacks. Maybe he is still not fully yet. I think we relied too much on Bale to open up the Stokde defence. Expected more from Lennon but again he was disappointing. Really don't know why Lennon cannot improve on his crosses and shots over the years.

I think there was nothing AVB could have done as our options were so limited due to Dempsey's injury. There was no one we had on the bench who could get us the all-important winning goal. Sigurdsson did well with the header but again he was unlucky like against Everton. Our lack of quality players really cost us this match. Wish we had another striker like Pavly to call upon to get us the winning goal.

Despite the disappointing draw, one positive thing from this match is we kept clean sheet for the second consecutive match. Good to know our defending is getting better. But while doing that we should make sure we don't lose out in attacks. We need to rediscover our winning mentality fast. Hope Defoe will rediscover his goal scoring boots in the coming matches.

Totally agree about Ade and not to mention that I think he has been fairly brick (maybe due to the injuries and stop start to this season for him) but he should be dropped.

I can easily believe we missed Dempsey, he's a proven quality Prem player. I just hope he's back soon. Disagree with playing Bale at LB yesterday, we needed plenty of defensive strength and height v Stoke. I like many wanted JV at LB, and am well pleased AVB chose the defence he did.

I'd prefer Naughton to Walker at RB but have no complaints that AVB chose Walker.
We should have enough in our locker to score 1 v Stoke, but I agree Ade is disappointing and JD had one of his bad days where he didn't influence the game enough.

But Stoke have conceded less than any other team in the prem for a reason, and they showed that yesterday.

I think we have to get another striker in the window.

Another terrific game by Lloris BTW, what a great signing he is. Well done to Daws, Caulker and JV too.

Last edited:
I can easily believe we missed Dempsey, he's a proven quality Prem player. I just hope he's back soon. Disagree with playing Bale at LB yesterday, we needed plenty of defensive strength and height v Stoke. I like many wanted JV at LB, and am well pleased AVB chose the defence he did.

I'd prefer Naughton to Walker at RB but have no complaints that AVB chose Walker.
We should have enough in our locker to score 1 v Stoke, but I agree Ade is disappointing and JD had one of his bad days where he didn't influence the game enough.

But Stoke have conceded less than any other team in the prem for a reason, and they showed that yesterday.

I think we have to get another striker in the window.

Another terrific game by Lloris BTW, what a great signing he is. Well done to Daws, Caulker and JV too.

I think we badly lack a consistent goal scorer from midfield. Apart from Bale, there is no one we could rely on to score from midfield. Dempsey have done decenly with 3 goals so far but players like Dembele, Lennon and Sigurdson should score more goals.

Back