• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Eh? Even if it were true, couldn't Atletico just accept our offer and then let the player decide? After all, it isn't like Saints can force Alderweireld to sign for them even if they do trigger this buying clause: it's probable that they have to agree a contract with him. And all this clause can do is force Atletico to specifically accept Saints' offer: it doesn't prevent them accepting other offers as well.

Bid a bit higher than Saints (to curry goodwill with Atletico and perhaps make them push Alderweireld more in our direction, as they'd earn more out of it), and then offer Alderweireld more than Saints are offering, which is something we can easily do unless all the uppity Saints fans on Saintsweb are right and they've gotten bigger than us now (Which, I admit, is a possibility if Levy can't bring himself to pay more than goddamn S'oton for somebody). Let the lure of playing with his national teammates and life in London do the rest.

yeah, we shouldnt even sweat over this. Alderwiereld has to make his OWN decision. The agreement would not have stated Atletico cannot accept bids from anyone else. At the end of the day, if Alderweireld prefers to play here, Southampton can't stop him, agreement or not. I have no doubt this is Southampton just being bitter and he'll be a Spurs player in a week or two.

As far as I'm aware, we don't know the precise circumstances of the deal signed last summer.

Is it not possible - likely, even - that Alderweireld also signed up to the full agreement?

If he did, then he has already made his decision and is legally bound to honour it if Saints' legal claim is proven.

Atletico Madrid wouldn't have put a £1,500,000 buyout clause if that was the case. They knew if he had a good year at Southampton and bigger clubs were interested, theyd buy it out for £1,5000,000 and sell to the highest bidder.

As far as I'm aware, we don't know the precise circumstances of the deal signed last summer.

Is it not possible - likely, even - that Alderweireld also signed up to the full agreement?

If he did, then he has already made his decision and is legally bound to honour it if Saints' legal claim is proven.

It is probably very difficult, and somewhat pointless, to agree a contract with the club you've been loaned to when your parent club can cancel any buyout clause on you with a payment of 1.5 million pounds to the club you're on loan at. It would also make little sense given the circumstancess of his loan in August 2014: why would either Saints or Alderweireld agree to a contract at a time when a) Alderweireld himself was likely unaware of how his loan stint would go, and b) Saints were unaware of how well he would do?

This will probably end up like John Obi Mikel.

Soton will sign him for 6.8 and sell to us for 11.5
Free money for them and everyone gets what they want.

Atletico Madrid wouldn't have put a £1,500,000 buyout clause if that was the case. They knew if he had a good year at Southampton and bigger clubs were interested, theyd buy it out for £1,5000,000 and sell to the highest bidder.

But could the deal not have been signed by all parties but still remain conditional on the buyout clause not being activated?

It certainly doesn't seem so very unlikely to me.

It is probably very difficult, and somewhat pointless, to agree a contract with the club you've been loaned to when your parent club can cancel any buyout clause on you with a payment of 1.5 million pounds to the club you're on loan at. It would also make little sense given the circumstancess of his loan in August 2014: why would either Saints or Alderweireld agree to a contract at a time when a) Alderweireld himself was likely unaware of how his loan stint would go, and b) Saints were unaware of how well he would do?

Again, we don't know the particulars of the deal. But it's not so very hard for me to imagine that all parties could have seen something beneficial in it.

According to this journo on twаtter (@SimonPeach), Atlético did try to cancel the buyout clause but didn't do so in time. Saints now believe they are entitled to first dibs on the player and may go to law if he signs elsewhere.

Edit: Oh, just realised that's old news.

But could the deal not have been signed by all parties but still remain conditional on the buyout clause not being activated?

It certainly doesn't seem so very unlikely to me.

Again, we don't know the particulars of the deal. But it's not so very hard for me to imagine that all parties could have seen something beneficial in it.

Like I said, it would make little sense. Even more so when you consider that this hypothetical contract isn't only contingent on the buyout clause remaining inert: it is also contingent on Saints offering the 6.8 million pound fee up at the end of the season, which certainly wasn't a guaranteed occurrence back in August 2014. Why would a contract dependent on so many uncertain factors be signed by parties which themselves had no real certainties when doing so? After all,again, it isn't like S'oton knew how good Alderweireld would be at the club, or that Alderweireld himself had preordained knowledge of how his season would go. So why throw away all your bargaining power and agree to this contract in light of all that?

Very, very unlikely, imo. Even more so when you consider that Alderweireld's supposedly on 75k a week at Atletico, which with Spain's lower top tax rate gives him far more money than S'oton could conceivably offer to him back in August 2014, or even now.

Well, it just seems to me that there's an awful lot of unknowns in all of this (including Alderweireld's supposed wage at AM).

So I have to admit that I'm not ready to summarily dismiss Southampton's legal claims and chances of signing the player until things become a little clearer.

Well, it just seems to me that there's an awful lot of unknowns in all of this (including Alderweireld's supposed wage at AM).

So I have to admit that I'm not ready to summarily dismiss Southampton's legal claims and chances of signing the player until things become a little clearer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...deal-permanent-Atletico-Madrid-hold-6-2m.html

That's one of the sources I got his wages from. There are others, as a google search reveals. And I agree there are some unknowns behind this move, and you shouldn't dismiss it out of hand. But just know that it's quite unlikely to have much merit.

It all depends what the wording of the clause is, clearly. Just have to wait and see what happens, I suppose.

What happens if Saints have first refusal but he decides against them and chooses us. Any problems with that?

What happens if Saints have first refusal but he decides against them and chooses us. Any problems with that?
This! If the player doesn't want to go then there is surely no problem? it just means Southampton gets to speak to him first.

This! If the player doesn't want to go then there is surely no problem? it just means Southampton gets to speak to him first.

Indeed, who wants to sign a player that has made it patently clear he does not want to play for you

Pass the popcorn, the windows finally warming up

Popcorn ready!

giphy.gif

Back