• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to get at here! Are you talking about Clyne? I had a little laugh about him being considered a Southampton youth graduate - because, clearly, he is nothing of the sort. It was only a lighthearted observation and wasn't, in any way, a commentary about your other points.

We have more of a claim for him being our youth graduate than Southampton do :D

They have played together at two clubs and for their national team so no one is getting confused.

Not as CB partners though - usually with Alderweireld at RB. Vermaelen was who Verts generally played alongside (and for the national team Verts goes to LB to accommodate Kompany)

Not as CB partners though - usually with Alderweireld at RB. Vermaelen was who Verts generally played alongside (and for the national team Verts goes to LB to accommodate Kompany)

Vermaelen left Ajax in 2009 and from then on until Jan came here 2012 they played together at CB.

We need Fazio. Alderweireld is too lightweight to partner Verts or Dier against a big CF like Lukaku or Costa.

I'd be concerned at having 3 ballplaying CBs and potentially losing a physical one - the EPL is still a very physical league.

You are underestimating Alderweireld on a physical level imo.

I don't get the Alderweireld thing at all. Fonte carried him last season and he flopped in La Liga.

He had two outstanding CB's infront of him at a side that won the Spanish league and got to the final of the CL. Is that flopping?

I think people might actually be confusing him with Vermaelen, who was Verts' favourite partner.

I think you are the one who is confused. Vermaelen and Vertonghen almost never played together at CB.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen

We have our 2015 Spurs summer transfer window saga player

His name is Toby Alderweireld

Expect this do drag on and on and on and on...

Eh? Even if it were true, couldn't Atletico just accept our offer and then let the player decide? After all, it isn't like Saints can force Alderweireld to sign for them even if they do trigger this buying clause: it's probable that they have to agree a contract with him. And all this clause can do is force Atletico to specifically accept Saints' offer: it doesn't prevent them accepting other offers as well.

Bid a bit higher than Saints (to curry goodwill with Atletico and perhaps make them push Alderweireld more in our direction, as they'd earn more out of it), and then offer Alderweireld more than Saints are offering, which is something we can easily do unless all the uppity Saints fans on Saintsweb are right and they've gotten bigger than us now (Which, I admit, is a possibility if Levy can't bring himself to pay more than goddamn S'oton for somebody). Let the lure of playing with his national teammates and life in London do the rest.

yeah, we shouldnt even sweat over this. Alderwiereld has to make his OWN decision. The agreement would not have stated Atletico cannot accept bids from anyone else. At the end of the day, if Alderweireld prefers to play here, Southampton can't stop him, agreement or not. I have no doubt this is Southampton just being bitter and he'll be a Spurs player in a week or two.

Also, may I add that, if this is true....this would be the most comically caricature-reinforcing situation in football for quite some time. Who could have imagined that a club in a country where siestas and moribund economic prospects are interwoven national traditions could ever have let this happen? :p

Back