• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I suppose Bentaleb was born in Enfield?
Kane also had stints at Arsenal and Watford, arriving at Spurs aged 11. So if we're unsure of Lallana's credentials, I suppose we need to ask ourselves if Kane is really a Spurs product?

Eh? I specifically pointed out that Lallana has to be considered a genuine Southampton youth product, having joined the club age 12. So I'm not sure what you're getting at re Harry Kane! As to Clyne and Bentaleb, you must surely be able to see the difference between a player who was a fully established senior player of 140 odd games before joining Southampton as a near 22 year old and a player who had never played a senior game for any club before joining Spurs shortly after his 17th birthday and playing for the academy and development squads for two years before making his senior debut?

The highlighted part is pure, unsubstantiated conjecture, so i wont even bother with that. I guess if you doubt whether saints produce academy players that go on to make first team appearances then thats fine. I think you'll be in a small minority though.

Conjecture, opinion...........it's largely what forums are for, surely? Fair enough if it is your conjecture and opinion that Southampton will find it every bit as easy to bring through youth graduates as a top 4-8 club as they did as a League One, Championship or lower Premier League club. We'll just have to agree to disagree about that. Just as we will have to agree to disagree about your conjecture and opinion that I will be in a small minority on this matter.

;)

I think majority of itk from Spurs is s lead of rubbish but there is no doubt this jetset lad has some top connections if not working within Spurs himself .. Fact he said no could have been right at time . Maybe we knew Southampton in box seat so levy went over pushed boat out which athletico then scrapped deal with Southampton and he signs for us .. No itk is always right 100% but at least this guy doesn't spout out hogwash already out there in media like the likes of others who haven't a foggiest clue and he has definitely got more right than wrong .. With the others they never commit to anything it's just a mountain of manure

rolling.gif

No itk is always right 100% but at least this guy doesn't spout out hogwash already out there in media like the likes of others who haven't a foggiest clue and he has definitely got more right than wrong .. With the others they never commit to anything it's just a mountain of manure
Really?

Id believe it . Levy drags the crap out of things to very end. Quite duprised myself if he met a club and agreed everything within 24hrs . That's not his or Spurs style unless absolute desperate and that will be the day with him !!!
Practically every deal takes a good deal of groundwork and time, even for the oil rich clubs. Whilst Levy obviously drives a very hard bargain it is fanciful to suggest it's only us that 'drag' deals out. It all depends on how quickly the media catch wind of a said deal....

Practically every deal takes a good deal of groundwork and time, even for the oil rich clubs. Whilst Levy obviously drives a very hard bargain it is fanciful to suggest it's only us that 'drag' deals out. It all depends on how quickly the media catch wind of a said deal....

Why let facts get in the way of yet another Levy bitch.

Who: JJetset
When: 3oth June
Where: Twitter

Q: Are Spurs going to get Alderweireld?

JJetset: no

He has repeatedly stated since that it was a no go for a specific reason, which he hasn't disclosed. It really depends on what that was and if anything has changed. Southampton had some sort of dibs for one.

I suppose Bentaleb was born in Enfield?
Kane also had stints at Arsenal and Watford, arriving at Spurs aged 11. So if we're unsure of Lallana's credentials, I suppose we need to ask ourselves if Kane is really a Spurs product?

The highlighted part is pure, unsubstantiated conjecture, so i wont even bother with that. I guess if you doubt whether saints produce academy players that go on to make first team appearances then thats fine. I think you'll be in a small minority though.
I disagree

Name any side that's stayed in the top half of the table that has regularly played home grown players or players developed in their academy ?!!!

Last side that did it as some off was united but no one does it as expectations rise so does the need for quick fixes like signings

Even teams like Swansea and Stoke who are far from exotic have almost no one from within their ranks

I disagree

Name any side that's stayed in the top half of the table that has regularly played home grown players or players developed in their academy ?!!!

Last side that did it as some off was united but no one does it as expectations rise so does the need for quick fixes like signings

Even teams like Swansea and Stoke who are far from exotic have almost no one from within their ranks

Liverpool have always seemed to have a few academy players in their team. I can't think of many teams though, Chelsea have only had Terry.

Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Chadli further up front...THFC, brought to you by Hugo Boss.

Sigh. Hope we get some grim bastard of a CDM, just to balance it out a bit. Ideally a survivor of the Yugoslav wars, with 'death' tattooed across his neck in various Cyrillic languages and an unnecessarily large scar across his face. :p

Eh? I specifically pointed out that Lallana has to be considered a genuine Southampton youth product, having joined the club age 12. So I'm not sure what you're getting at re Harry Kane! As to Clyne and Bentaleb, you must surely be able to see the difference between a player who was a fully established senior player of 140 odd games before joining Southampton as a near 22 year old and a player who had never played a senior game for any club before joining Spurs shortly after his 17th birthday and playing for the academy and development squads for two years before making his senior debut?

Conjecture, opinion...........it's largely what forums are for, surely? Fair enough if it is your conjecture and opinion that Southampton will find it every bit as easy to bring through youth graduates as a top 4-8 club as they did as a League One, Championship or lower Premier League club. We'll just have to agree to disagree about that. Just as we will have to agree to disagree about your conjecture and opinion that I will be in a small minority on this matter.

;)
Yes, but you qualified the Lallana point by saying he is from Bournemouth.
Also, Bale, Walcott, Ox, Chamberlain, Lallana are all Saints products playing in top teams, so i dont understand the point about them not being able to produce players of that quality any longer. Surely them now being a bigger hitter would theoretically enable them to keep their better players longer.

Also, the initial point I made was that Saints are currently buying players to fill holes after having two waves of academy products bought. It takes time to fill holes with home grown players: hence they need to plug gaps by bringing in players for now. The initial post i was replying to questioned whether Saints have a philosophy of promoting their own. If everyone gets pilfered off of course they dont have academy players to field!!??

Also, we have been promoting youth for about 18 months. If Kane, Benteleb, Mason etc were to be poached, we wouldn't be fielding any youth players either! However ´, you have picked one player in a list of about 12 and shown that he had previous appearances for another club and used that to go off at a tangent, ignoring my initial point.

Yes, but you qualified the Lallana point by saying he is from Bournemouth.

Mate, with respect, you need to start reading what has been written a little more carefully! I only mentioned Bournemouth because, in the post to which I was replying, Bedforspurs had made the point that Lallana had originally been at Bournemouth. I was disagreeing with the suggestion that Lallana could not therefore be properly considered to be a Saints youth graduate. In other words........agreeing with you on this specific matter. Clear enough?

Also, Bale, Walcott, Ox, Chamberlain, Lallana are all Saints products playing in top teams, so i dont understand the point about them not being able to produce players of that quality any longer. Surely them now being a bigger hitter would theoretically enable them to keep their better players longer.

It's not a question of Southampton being able to continue producing good players *. It's a question of them being able to offer sufficient first team opportunity to their youth graduates. Southampton will not find it as easy to give opportunities to young players if they are, at the same time, to maintain a challenge for Champions League qualification every season.

Also, we have been promoting youth for about 18 months. If Kane, Benteleb, Mason etc were to be poached, we wouldn't be fielding any youth players either! However ´, you have picked one player in a list of about 12 and shown that he had previous appearances for another club and used that to go off at a tangent, ignoring my initial point.

I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to get at here! Are you talking about Clyne? I had a little laugh about him being considered a Southampton youth graduate - because, clearly, he is nothing of the sort. It was only a lighthearted observation and wasn't, in any way, a commentary about your other points.

Listen..........no one is suggesting that Southampton will no longer produce players for their first team. Clearly, they will. It's simply that they will not find it as easy to do so at the level to which they now aspire as they did when at a far lower level and burdened with far less expectation.

* P.S. For what it's worth, over the past few years, Spurs' youth and development teams have been greatly superior to Southampton's. We currently have much more talent at youth level than they do. Poch has even remarked upon it. But we will not find it easy to give our young players chances either.

Mate, with respect, you need to start reading what has been written a little more carefully! I only mentioned Bournemouth because, in the post to which I was replying, Bedforspurs had made the point that Lallana had originally been at Bournemouth. I was disagreeing with the suggestion that Lallana could not therefore be properly considered to be a Saints youth graduate. In other words........agreeing with you on this specific matter. Clear enough?

It's not a question of them being able to produce good players. It's a question of them being able to offer sufficient first team opportunity to their youth graduates. Southampton will not find it as easy to give opportunities to young players if they are, at the same time, to maintain a challenge for Champions League qualification every season.

I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to get at here! Are you talking about Clyne? I had a little laugh about him being considered a Southampton youth graduate - because, clearly, he is nothing of the sort. It was only a lighthearted observation and wasn't, in any way, a commentary about your other points.

Listen..........no one is suggesting that Southampton will no longer produce players for their first team. Clearly, they will. It's simply that they will not find it as easy to do so at the level to which they now aspire as they did when at a far lower level and burdened with far less expectation.

P.S. For what it's worth, over the past few years, Spurs' youth and development teams have been greatly superior to Southampton's. We currently have much more talent at youth level than they do. Poch has even remarked upon it. But we will not find it easy to give our young players chances either.

It's not a question of Southampton being able to continue producing good players *. It's a question of them being able to offer sufficient first team opportunity to their youth graduates. Southampton will not find it as easy to give opportunities to young players if they are, at the same time, to maintain a challenge for Champions League qualification every season.

* P.S. For what it's worth, over the past few years, Spurs' youth and development teams have been greatly superior to Southampton's. We currently have much more talent at youth level than they do. Poch has even remarked upon it. But we will not find it easy to give our young players chances either.

Aha I see. Initially, i agreed with you in relation to BS's point about Lallana being from Bournemouth. Since then I muddled your post with BS's. Sorry about that. (Only with regards to the Lallana Bournemouth bit).

Sorry if this message is tedious...

I'm waiting for Liverpool to claim Sterling came through the ranks...

In serious note only United have fielded a home grown player every season in the prem and last season it looked like it was out of desperation

And bringing it back on thread they could do with a a player like Auderwield

What about Fazio !!? I agree though .. Personally I would be using Fazio and soldado as bait to Spanish clubs for potential swaps or straight cash deals

We need Fazio. Alderweireld is too lightweight to partner Verts or Dier against a big CF like Lukaku or Costa.

I'd be concerned at having 3 ballplaying CBs and potentially losing a physical one - the EPL is still a very physical league.

I don't get the Alderweireld thing at all. Fonte carried him last season and he flopped in La Liga.

I think people might actually be confusing him with Vermaelen, who was Verts' favourite partner.

Back