• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

the stats don't lie and show how good a bunch of players we have.
we got those points in spite of the manager and formation.
come on levy - you know we need a better manager!

Guys despite this season being a total clusterf*ck we can still smile knowing...

80d3acf9-4e3a-46a0-9a39-594f3cceda0c.jpg

Last edited:

The question should be when?

My guess would be just before the first pre-World Cup Friendly; perhaps with the view that the media wont give it their full attention and the bashing the club takes would be diluted somewhat.

Just a small point that's consistently bothered me about the support that Tim gets from pundits is this 'He know's the club inside out' stuff. Danny Murphy was at it this time on MoTD

Sherwood himself has admitted that he hasn't selected players because he doesn't know them. He hasn't settled on a formation or a style of play at all either. So, with the exception of the young players he's blooded in, what exactly is Sherwood's previous experience with the club offering us? To me it's an easy, throwaway comment from journalists which massively overlooks evidence to the contrary.

Just a small point that's consistently bothered me about the support that Tim gets from pundits is this 'He know's the club inside out' stuff. Danny Murphy was at it this time on MoTD

Sherwood himself has admitted that he hasn't selected players because he doesn't know them. He hasn't settled on a formation or a style of play at all either. So, with the exception of the young players he's blooded in, what exactly is Sherwood's previous experience with the club offering us? To me it's an easy, throwaway comment from journalists which massively overlooks evidence to the contrary.

I noticed that as well...he's certainly got more friends than many of our previous managers that's for sure....

Anyone hear Sherwood on TalkSport being interviewed by the Moose?

Went along the lines of "there was no lack of passion out there. You've never played the game, you don't know what's it's like"...

Adrian Durham tore strips into Sherwood, saying "oh so all those Spurs fans seeing how poorly the team are playing don't know what their talking about because they've never played the game?? We supported Sherwood on his appointment but that is unbelievable"

Beautiful!

In one fell swoop it has been exposed that:

- Sherwood did indeed get a relatively easy ride from the media (backed him)
- Sherwood shows himself to be easy for the media to get a controversial quote out of (I'm sure the Moose asked the question to purposely lead to TS blowing his top a little, though no doubt not that obviously/easily) and;
- Sherwood shows himself openly to being an ungrateful jumped-up cnut (in the TalkSport/red-top media's eyes).

Levy's "let Sherwood hang himself with his own ego-rope" plan is coming to fruition :lol:

incredible. good find, would like to see the whole interview if anyone has a link.

Another thing, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Sherwood also part of the 'Transfer Committee' with Levy and Baldini?

The sooner we lose the tactical pygmy the better, the guy is clueless and I I do not get why people were defending him this week.

We were playing against a team that had already beaten us twice this season and it did not occur to him to have someone in central midfield to protect our porously cumbersome back 4. And playing with a high line, what was he thinking?

:ross:=D>

Brilliant!
Best description yet...

I heard Ossie at a forum here in New York explain that his brief was to play the Spurs way and when he did, he was fired. Sherwood's recent comments have suggested that his instructions were to attack more and score more goals. Neither man seems to have approached the task with the thought that we can be an effective attacking and defensive force. Instead, the position seems to be that by removing any defensive capability in the midfield, they can proclaim that they did what they were told to do. Absolutely crazy. On the plus side, when Francis took over from Ossie and added some defensive discipline, we had championship form for the rest of the year. Oh for such a transformation now!*

* I do recognise that Francis' tenure did not continue in the same vein.

I suspect he said a bit more than that. I am positive he mentioned that when he was sacked, we had 6 less points due to the deduction, and that by the time the Mullet was getting going, we had them back due to Sugar's only decent move as chairman (fighting the league). I need not tell you the difference was that when Ossie was sacked we were 17th, yet suddenly, 6 points later, we're 11th. I believe had Ossie had those points, and had he been given a season, he might well have worked out the exact issue you're discussing…don't in any way believe that Francis made 'great' switches mate. In fact, the truth is that he was given some brilliant players who carried us a fair way before we totally ****ed up the semi-final and a chance to win the cup.

In fact, one place where I do agree with your comparison is that if we were to have been foolish enough to have stuck with Sherwood, a descent into mid-table Francian mediocrity would've been guaranteed.

From memory, one big difference Francis made was to put Howells in the team as a defensive midfielder.

I suspect he said a bit more than that. I am positive he mentioned that when he was sacked, we had 6 less points due to the deduction, and that by the time the Mullet was getting going, we had them back due to Sugar's only decent move as chairman (fighting the league). I need not tell you the difference was that when Ossie was sacked we were 17th, yet suddenly, 6 points later, we're 11th. I believe had Ossie had those points, and had he been given a season, he might well have worked out the exact issue you're discussing…don't in any way believe that Francis made 'great' switches mate. In fact, the truth is that he was given some brilliant players who carried us a fair way before we totally ****ed up the semi-final and a chance to win the cup.

In fact, one place where I do agree with your comparison is that if we were to have been foolish enough to have stuck with Sherwood, a descent into mid-table Francian mediocrity would've been guaranteed.

My point remains that Ardiles was committed to an over aggressive attacking style that was doomed from the start and Sherwood appears to have followed that template. Shoring up the midfield is way down the list of priorities in this approach. Moreover, I in no way suggested that Francis was a tactical genius, just that he abandoned gung-ho football for a more pragmatic approach where the brilliant players (Klinnsman) would be backed up by the "water carriers'(Howells). The difference in points that you mention does not tell the whole story. After all, Ardiles was sacked after we lost 3-0 to Notts County in the League Cup. And Francis' first 12 games yielded 7 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss with a plus 14 goal difference, which I would certainly take over Sherwood's performance, whatever Francis' hairstyle!

the stats don't lie and show how good a bunch of players we have.
we got those points in spite of the manager and formation.
come on levy - you know we need a better manager!

Manager(s). Sherwood is still on 1.85 points per game for this season. AVB is on 1.68 points per game. So we're 6th more despite AVB than because of Sherwood. A true reflection of Sherwood's season would have been to be clear in 5th but still a few points off 4th. I agree with the general thrust though. What if we'd had a major talent in charge of this squad? That said, looking at the way things shaped up, 4th was gone in December. 4th is probably going to be 79 points. With our pathetic goal difference from so early on that means we needed 80 points for 4th. AVB left us on 27 points in 16 games. That means whoever came in needed to deliver 53 points in 22 games to finish 4th. That is 2.40 points per game. The league winners are probably going to be on 86 points in 38 games, that is 2.22 points per game. So we needed better than league title winning form to finish 4th. In fact, 2.40 points per game is 91 points over a season. Don't think many have ever got that? Even with a top class manager, I think that would have been a big ask. So if the league season was gone in December, it may have been wise to get the job over and done with, sack AVB and begin the search for his replacement. In this context, Sherwood did a decent job of steadying the ship for a while, no more no less.

Re: Sherwood Thread

don't really get the hate - let him prove his worth if he's given the job and get behind him ffs

I agree. The fellah does have some ability. He has been trying to stick to and implement a playing style in recent games. Its not worked too well. Its hard to get people into a new way of playing, end of season, and get instant results - it takes time.

But get FDB and his back room team in. Levy has no choice really as TS' position is untenable. Fans would be disappointed and in revolt if TS stayed on. We used to be a lot more accepting of mediocrity, but credit to Levy the bar has been raised and we think we deserve the best now.

I think TS would do a good job and could build a team - given time. But he won't be given time and on balance, we need someone with more experience. All credit to TS for steping up and managing the team when there wasn't another available option.

My point remains that Ardiles was committed to an over aggressive attacking style that was doomed from the start and Sherwood appears to have followed that template. Shoring up the midfield is way down the list of priorities in this approach. Moreover, I in no way suggested that Francis was a tactical genius, just that he abandoned gung-ho football for a more pragmatic approach where the brilliant players (Klinnsman) would be backed up by the "water carriers'(Howells). The difference in points that you mention does not tell the whole story. After all, Ardiles was sacked after we lost 3-0 to Notts County in the League Cup. And Francis' first 12 games yielded 7 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss with a plus 14 goal difference, which I would certainly take over Sherwood's performance, whatever Francis' hairstyle!

'Doomed from the start'? We can go back and forth over this all day long. I saw a lot of games that season. My eyes did not deceive me. It was wreckless at times but it was beautiful at others. And the difference in points is absolutely massive! I can tell you, Ossie remains rueful about how that turned out. As for the Notts County game, yes, a shocker. I think it's worth noting that the previous season (which was actually pretty poor) Ardiles tried to play more 'pragmatic' football with the likes of Kevin Scott, Howellsy and Vinny Samways which resulted in us flirting with relegation (until an excellent display at Oldham saved our hides)…I think it's fairer to say that Ossie was a better attacking manager who was probably trying to do something with Spurs a few years ahead of the game itself in England at the time.

Whatever anyone says, and I saw plenty of the Francis era, that first bit of the season was never enough (for me) to justify him. In fact, I cannot believe we are having a discussion where Sherwood or Francis is the centre-point. How about neither?!!!!!

Back