• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

Yes... That's kind of the point...

Still not enough sample size? When does it become enough?

If he keeps them up which it looks like he will do, that coupled with the FA cup final (win or lose). He would have been a clear success.... So far of course. But so far...can be applied to many other managers as well, including pouch, who's success this season is less clearer to define, but on the face of it less impressive.

Still not enough sample size? When does it become enough?

If he keeps them up which it looks like he will do, that coupled with the FA cup final (win or lose). He would have been a clear success.... So far of course. But so far...can be applied to many other managers as well, including pouch, who's success this season is less clearer to define, but on the face of it less impressive.

10 league games and I'm still complaining about sample size... Yes, very much so.

Let him complete a full season with a club at least, or a full season and then start a second season. We've seen a lot of managers get praise after a short stint like this.

Rembember Lambert actually signing a new contract earlier this season with Aston Villa? Was only 4 games into the season, but he had apparently shown enough over the two previous seasons and the start to this one that he was the man they wanted to take them forward...

Not saying he won't have been a success so far. But to me to jump from that to "he's a winner" is extrapolating beyond what is reasonable.

10 league games and I'm still complaining about sample size... Yes, very much so.

Let him complete a full season with a club at least, or a full season and then start a second season. We've seen a lot of managers get praise after a short stint like this.

Rembember Lambert actually signing a new contract earlier this season with Aston Villa? Was only 4 games into the season, but he had apparently shown enough over the two previous seasons and the start to this one that he was the man they wanted to take them forward...

Not saying he won't have been a success so far. But to me to jump from that to "he's a winner" is extrapolating beyond what is reasonable.

10 games? Did the second half of last season not exist then?

Lambert getting a new contract was stupid, based on the last two seasons (where he done what?) apparently he is studious and dedicated..... maybe that fooled some.

Lambert getting a new contract was stupid, based on the last two seasons (where he done what?) apparently he is studious and dedicated..... maybe that fooled some.
Is there something undesirable about being studious and dedicated?

You were the one talking about Pochettino this season. But you can of course add up all of Sherwood's games, still not have enough for a full season and I will still complain about a small sample size. Just like others have in the past for so many other managers... He's not even managed a club more than half a season, for me it's pretty obvious that it's a small sample size and premature to make conclusions.

If you want to add together all of Sherwood's games in charge you really should do the same for Pochettino though.

You were the one talking about Pochettino this season. But you can of course add up all of Sherwood's games, still not have enough for a full season and I will still complain about a small sample size. Just like others have in the past for so many other managers... He's not even managed a club more than half a season, for me it's pretty obvious that it's a small sample size and premature to make conclusions.

If you want to add together all of Sherwood's games in charge you really should do the same for Pochettino though.

Yeah sure we can do that, but pouch won't come out of that particularly well, because he hasn't won anything as a manager and hasn't got his team's to finish a season in any remarkable league positions.....

nevertheless there are things that you see in pouch that have made you back him to be successful, likewise there are have things I have seen in Tim that lead me to believe the same of him, and thus label him a winner.

Is there something undesirable about being studious and dedicated?

No of course not. why would you say that?

But it's not always enough to succeed. Talent, management style, interpersonal relationships, emotional intelligence amongst a host of other things come in to play.

I think a couple of Espanyol finishes were remarkable, he nearly got them into Europe one season

I would disagree that they were remarkable (in facts a strange use of the word) and his overall win percentage there was 32%

I would disagree that they were remarkable (in facts a strange use of the word) and his overall win percentage there was 32%

ah, but what should it have been bearing in mind the available salary spending and squad experience?

I only used "remarkable" as you did :confused:

Compared to what?

Since taking over at Villa they've picked up 1.3 points per game. The league table since he took over sees Villa 13th. Is that remarkable? It's significantly better than what Lambert did this season, but everyone pretty much agreed that Lambert was under performing quite massively. Is it particularly more impressive than Pochettino taking an Espanyol side third from bottom in January to a 10th placed finish at the end of the season?

Taking Villa from 18th to 14th in 10 games is certainly solid enough. But remarkable? Pochettino took a newly promoted Southampton battling relegation to safety and then to an 8th placed finish the next season. If Sherwood matches that next season with Villa will you listen to people who claim it's not remarkable (and there will be people doing that if it happens)?

Compared to what?

Taking Villa from 18th to 14th in 10 games is certainly solid enough. But remarkable? Pochettino took a newly promoted Southampton battling relegation to safety and then to an 8th placed finish the next season. ...

Well, Poch may yet take us to 8th as well ... from 6th

Last edited:
Football
Aston Villa takeover bid
Posted at 14:34

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy reports: "There's been a takeover bid for Aston Villa. It's led by Paul Smith, formerly Chelsea's business affairs director, and city sources say it's in the region of £150m. Smith knows Villa's current owner, Randy Lerner.

"If successful, it's understood that Tony Adams would be brought to the club to work on the football side of things but he is NOT directly involved in the takeover bid itself. "
:D Unlucky Tim.

Compared to what?

Since taking over at Villa they've picked up 1.3 points per game. The league table since he took over sees Villa 13th. Is that remarkable? It's significantly better than what Lambert did this season, but everyone pretty much agreed that Lambert was under performing quite massively. Is it particularly more impressive than Pochettino taking an Espanyol side third from bottom in January to a 10th placed finish at the end of the season?

Taking Villa from 18th to 14th in 10 games is certainly solid enough. But remarkable? Pochettino took a newly promoted Southampton battling relegation to safety and then to an 8th placed finish the next season. If Sherwood matches that next season with Villa will you listen to people who claim it's not remarkable (and there will be people doing that if it happens)?

I would argue that pouch took over a Southampton side in much better shape then the villa that Tim took over, but nevertheless If he takes them to an 8th place finish next term, I would say he had done a very good job considering where they were, but not remarkable.

If he betters it,gets them in or around or 5th or 6th place with a cup to his name. Then we would be getting in to remarkable territory.

I would argue that pouch took over a Southampton side in much better shape then the villa that Tim took over, but nevertheless If he takes them to an 8th place finish next term, I would say he had done a very good job considering where they were, but not remarkable.

If he betters it,gets them in or around or 5th or 6th place with a cup to his name. Then we would be getting in to remarkable territory.

Easy to say in hindsight knowing what Pochettino did with that team and how their players developed. At the time he took over I don't think staying up first season and getting 8th the season after would have been anything other than remarkable.

Sherwood has a pretty good side at Villa, they were stuck in a rut under Lambert, but they have a good core group of players.

That's not really the point though. The point I was trying to make with sample size was that Pochettino has twice taken over teams threatened by relegation mid season and taken them to a safe mid table position the next year.If Sherwood does that at Villa he would have matched one of those from Pochettino. But he's not even completely safe this season yet, never mind getting next season right.

Haha, I thought I was supposed to be Tim? Is there some one else on here that loves the man more than me :)

Back