• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

Favouring a tall striker is hardly an absolute marker for outdated English play. Ibrahimovic is pretty tall, do PSG play in an English fashion then??

the stereotypical English way' for you translates as tall striker and getting players forward quickly, is that what you are saying? Really??
Playing mainly long balls to that forward and relying heavily on crosses is.

I suppose if I had to sum it up I'd say it's relying on physical attributes (pace/strength) and running about at 100mph instead of using intelligence, patience and skill.

Sherwood is a forty something guy who would have been 100% devoted to a career in football - ahead of being an Arsenal fan, if he really was - for over 25 years. Right at this moment in time his priority won't be Aston Villa winning the cup it will be Tim Sherwood winning the cup. He won't really care who they beat in the final, maybe less keen if it's the goons but he will also be getting some flack from some of their fans anyway so there will be zero loyalty going their way.
I'm not suggesting he'll throw the match because he loves Arsenal, merely that he'd probably prefer to be playing any team other than the one he loves.

I suppose if I had to sum it up I'd say it's relying on physical attributes (pace/strength) and running about at 100mph instead of using intelligence, patience and skill.

I wouldn't say either Villa or us under Sherwood done either of these things.

Regarding relying on Physical attributes, Sherwood dropped a big strong lump of a CM in Capoue and replaced him with a smaller more skillful but completely unproven youngster. Pretty decent evidence there that he rates actual footballing ability over physical attributes would you not agree?

I wouldn't say either Villa or us under Sherwood done either of these things.

Regarding relying on Physical attributes, Sherwood dropped a big strong lump of a CM in Capoue and replaced him with a smaller more skillful but completely unproven youngster. Pretty decent evidence there that he rates actual footballing ability over physical attributes would you not agree?
I don't think that if there was a single exception it would make much difference to Sherwood's philosophy - especially not as I've heard him speak about it himself. It wasn't quite "Carlos Kickaball has ruined good old blood and guts football" but it wasn't far off.

I've already gone into the reasons why I think Sherwood played and persisted with Bentaleb and I really don't have the inclination to do so again. Suffice it to say that the situation was a win/win for Sherwood so he could take risks that someone who cared about the club couldn't take.

I don't think that if there was a single exception it would make much difference to Sherwood's philosophy - especially not as I've heard him speak about it himself. It wasn't quite "Carlos Kickaball has ruined good old blood and guts football" but it wasn't far off.

I've already gone into the reasons why I think Sherwood played and persisted with Bentaleb and I really don't have the inclination to do so again. Suffice it to say that the situation was a win/win for Sherwood so he could take risks that someone who cared about the club couldn't take.

There's more than a single exception though. My understanding, and I think most of this board would agree with me of the so called 'stereotypical English way' is 442 with;

- Two big lumps at Centre back who have no ability on the ball but win stuff in the air. Sherwood never done that.
- Full backs are defenders. They don't cross the halfway line. Sherwood never done that.
- Two 'chalk on their heels' wingers who hug the touch line and have only one job. Get to the by-line and put crosses in. Sherwood never done that.
- At least one, possibly 2 'hard man' midfielders who aren't great footballers but 'like a tackle'. Sherwood never done that.
- Big man/little man up top. Long balls lumped up to the big man for knock downs to the little man. Sherwood never done that.

I'd rather look at the evidence of what his teams do on the football pitch and hang that on him than something he's supposedly said one of the very few times he's been on TV.

And when you look at it like that, his teams don't play the 'stereotypical english way' no matter how you try to argue otherwise.

There's more than a single exception though. My understanding, and I think most of this board would agree with me of the so called 'stereotypical English way' is 442 with;

- Two big lumps at Centre back who have no ability on the ball but win stuff in the air. Sherwood never done that.
- Full backs are defenders. They don't cross the halfway line. Sherwood never done that.
- Two 'chalk on their heels' wingers who hug the touch line and have only one job. Get to the by-line and put crosses in. Sherwood never done that.
- At least one, possibly 2 'hard man' midfielders who aren't great footballers but 'like a tackle'. Sherwood never done that.
- Big man/little man up top. Long balls lumped up to the big man for knock downs to the little man. Sherwood never done that.

I'd rather look at the evidence of what his teams do on the football pitch and hang that on him than something he's supposedly said one of the very few times he's been on TV.

And when you look at it like that, his teams don't play the 'stereotypical english way' no matter how you try to argue otherwise.
Are you Dimmy himself? ;)

I got as far as "Sherwood never done that" and I could only hear it in his voice!

Didn't you state that Sherwood picked bentaleb to make avb look bad. .... That was hilarious.... Especially because avb never needed any help to make him self look bad.

Hmm you avoiding the fact that he is stating the truth?

Who do you want to win the FA cup scara?
No, he was stating his opinion that I don't agree with. It's fairly pointless going any further with someone who thinks there was any culture or thinking behind Captain Bellend's football.

I'd like both teams to get a lot of injuries and sending offs. Really don't want either to win - maybe a sinkhole to open on the centre circle would be good.

Actually no, I know. I'd like Villa to win but for Dimmy to get the sack at half time due to his inappropriate behaviour.

Are you Dimmy himself? ;)

I got as far as "Sherwood never done that" and I could only hear it in his voice!

haha I'll give you that, my glaring grammatical error there did remind me of him when I read it back.

Although the fact it's the only thing you could think of to come back with tells me that you know I'm right.

No, he was stating his opinion that I don't agree with. It's fairly pointless going any further with someone who thinks there was any culture or thinking behind Captain Bellend's football.

I'd like both teams to get a lot of injuries and sending offs. Really don't want either to win - maybe a sinkhole to open on the centre circle would be good.

Actually no, I know. I'd like Villa to win but for Dimmy to get the sack at half time due to his inappropriate behaviour.

I didn't say there is culture and thinking behind it. I was simply providing facts that Sherwoods teams are not set up to play 'the stereotypical english way'. You got to a stage where you could no longer provide facts to back up your own opinion that he does want to play this way. Now you don't want to play anymore.

I didn't say there is culture and thinking behind it. I was simply providing facts that Sherwoods teams are not set up to play 'the stereotypical english way'. You got to a stage where you could no longer provide facts to back up your own opinion that he does want to play this way. Now you don't want to play anymore.
Yeah, please don't take it personally - I just have a very low attention span.

I never presented anything about Dimmeh as fact - only my opinion. In my opinion, his style is the kind that is dragging English football backwards - that's what he says he likes and that's what I've seen. The closest he's ever come to any tactical insight is "shuffle across a bit" - I feel genuine pity for Villa fans.

I never presented anything about Dimmeh as fact - only my opinion. In my opinion, his style is the kind that is dragging English football backwards - that's what he says he likes and that's what I've seen. The closest he's ever come to any tactical insight is "shuffle across a bit" - I feel genuine pity for Villa fans.

I haven't really seen anything to suggest he's dragging english football backwards nor anything to suggest he is any kind of tactical genius either to be honest. My initial point was that he seems to have the ability to motivate players and has no problems bringing youth through, so if he is willing or can learn to build on that with increased tactical knowledge and the various other things that are required of a manager he might make a decent one.

Essentially, he's still a very young manager and if you deem it too early for anyone to make the assessment that he's a good one, then it has to be too early to make the assessment he's a bad one.

If Villa beat the drop and win the FA Cup this year I don't think they'll be happy enough with 'shuffling across a bit'. Remains to be seen how he does with a full pre-season though. Next season will be an interesting one for them.

Me too. I pity them having to put up with being better to watch than they were before, I also pity them for having to put up with a nice upturn in their form, but most of all I truly pity them for having to go to all that bother of an FA Cup final. I hope the Samaritans have had extra volunteer's on in Birmingham recently!

I hated Sherwood's tenure as our manager. I felt embarrassed on a weekly basis by what he said. Still, I hope he wins the cup. Maybe then he'll stop talking about Spurs.

I don't think he's a tactical genius, his main strengths are motivation (only if it's someone he wants to motivate - Chelsea away post match interview last season could give some indication of his alienation of certain players) and only time will tell if that is sustainable over a full season. It usually isn't, there is a degree of levelling out, as motivational managers like Warnock found out.

This will be his first pre season, will be interesting to see how that goes. I always questioned his training, as we had lots of injuries whilst he was in charge, lots of which were picked up in training.

I think that's harsh Scara...

I'm not his biggest fan and happy he was moved on and we turned to Pochettino instead. But in his half a season for us at least he tried to get technical players on the pitch, particularly in central midfield. He perhaps didn't go about it in the most measured or thought out fashion, but he did put technical players out there, often at a very obvious defensive cost. But it wasn't all about physical attributes.

I think that's harsh Scara...

I'm not his biggest fan and happy he was moved on and we turned to Pochettino instead. But in his half a season for us at least he tried to get technical players on the pitch, particularly in central midfield. He perhaps didn't go about it in the most measured or thought out fashion, but he did put technical players out there, often at a very obvious defensive cost. But it wasn't all about physical attributes.
It may not all have been about physicality but it certainly wasn't about thinking!

Back