• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The decision to fire AVB

The funny thing is people are more impressed by 'big name' players Than what they see I guess.

I don't know whether I'm missing something here or what but VDV was superior to Dempsey in every possible way. If it's any consolation, I'd rather have Dempsey than Paulinho(big name? player).

I see the argument is still "at least he's not as **** as the guy who got fired"

Let's be clear, the benchmark (AVB's league results) got a guy who got record league points total last year fired in less than 6 month (i.e. they are terrible)
So TS results would need to be significantly better.

Can someone put up a simple Played, win, lose draw, GF, GA table

And my expectation is the next two game at best will ad L2 GA6 to it.

Just to clarify, you're saying AVB's results this season were TERRIBLE? We were 7th and as close to 4th if not closer than we are now.

I see the argument is still "at least he's not as **** as the guy who got fired"

Let's be clear, the benchmark (AVB's league results) got a guy who got record league points total last year fired in less than 6 month (i.e. they are terrible)
So TS results would need to be significantly better.

Can someone put up a simple Played, win, lose draw, GF, GA table

And my expectation is the next two game at best will ad L2 GA6 to it.

WTx9bZd.png

Because he'd had to oversee the loss of our 4 world class players (Modric, vdV, King and Bale) and overhaul the creaking squad that Redknapp had left him due to his short-termist approach.

And that all happened in 15 months.

And he largely maintained our position in that time and would soon have been ready to start pushing on again.

You're the king of re-writing history, i give you that.

Maintained our position? we finished 4th when he came in...he left us in 7th...where was this maintaining of position that you speak about?

1) We didn't fire him
2) We didn't fire him
3) We didn't fire him

He wanted to leave. We wanted him to leave. That's not a sacking in my book. I think we were right in doing so, if his heart wasn't in it, why keep him appointed? Sherwood was always an interim solution. Bring on Van Gaal or De Boer come the summer. Kick out Baldini, sell all the deadwood and let the new manager choose his own players. Yet another re-start.

Lets' look at that table

- Position not really relevant, as Saudi Sportswashing Machine/Everton have dropped off more than we improved
- Gap to 4th was 5 points, 3rd was 6, now is 4 & 6, but 4th place team has multiple games in hand, 3rd has 1, so potentially gap is more.
- In 3 games, it will be 16 game each, optimistically -> TS = P16, W9, D2, L5, GD+1

So TS gets 1 more win, 1 less draw, 1 more loss and a slight improvement to GD than the guy who got fired?

Sorry, don't see what the attraction is.

1) We didn't fire him
2) We didn't fire him
3) We didn't fire him

He wanted to leave. We wanted him to leave. That's not a sacking in my book. I think we were right in doing so, if his heart wasn't in it, why keep him appointed? Sherwood was always an interim solution. Bring on Van Gaal or De Boer come the summer. Kick out Baldini, sell all the deadwood and let the new manager choose his own players. Yet another re-start.

Mate if TS as our interim manager, I'd have much less of an issue.

He isn't, he has an 18 month contract and we can speculate all we want, that is the only fact.

1) We didn't fire him
2) We didn't fire him
3) We didn't fire him

its not how the end was reached but how much effort Levy put into avoiding it

Lets' look at that table

- Position not really relevant, as Saudi Sportswashing Machine/Everton have dropped off more than we improved
- Gap to 4th was 5 points, 3rd was 6, now is 4 & 6, but 4th place team has multiple games in hand, 3rd has 1, so potentially gap is more.
- In 3 games, it will be 16 game each, optimistically -> TS = P16, W9, D2, L5, GD+1

So TS gets 1 more win, 1 less draw, 1 more loss and a slight improvement to GD than the guy who got fired?

Sorry, don't see what the attraction is.

Yes both of them are similar.
I've no idea why these people think it was stupid to sack AVB.

I still feel it was the right decision and I don't think we would be much better or worse off now if he had stayed in charge although I definitely think we would be slightly further down the table, maybe 8th or 9th. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I initially wanted AVB appointed but I was concerned by the end of last season that actually we had regressed in terms of our dynamism and fluency. Obviously that increased once Bale was sold and at the end I just wanted him to go really.

For me, I wish that in the summer of 2011 we had paid off Redknapp after the collapse at the end of 2010-11 season and gone for Ancelotti as he was angling for a job in London once he had left Chelsea. He was till hangining around and waiting, sometimes making it clear in the media he wanted to stay in London and it was only PSG coming in for him in February 2012 that meant we were unable to approach him, come the end of that 2011-12 season. I am pretty sure that had he remained unemployed up to the summer of 2012 then he would have become our manager. Failing that, I look at 2012 and believe that we made a mistake going for AVB instead of Martinez.

i think your first point answers the second.

we seemingly sacked/replaced the manager mid season to give someone with no experience a go - just seems rather futile, especially when you take in to account the player turnover in the summer which i (and possibly others) believe can go some way to explain the inconsistency of the season so far. give the man a year to mold the team - what did we expect Sherwood to be able to do with half a season anyway?

as has been said, AVB practically wanted out...he fell out with Freund, the medical dept, Adebayor was marginalized, had a go at the fans, apparently AVB even couldnt see eye to eye with Baldini. The guy no longer cared

Mate if TS as our interim manager, I'd have much less of an issue.

He isn't, he has an 18 month contract and we can speculate all we want, that is the only fact.

He is an interim manager, regardless of his contract. His only hope, in my opinion, of getting the job proper full time was to get CL and win a cup and get us playing amazing football. 18 months is not a 'proper' contract. And I think Tim had Levy over a barrel to get that long.

i think your first point answers the second.

we seemingly sacked/replaced the manager mid season to give someone with no experience a go - just seems rather futile, especially when you take in to account the player turnover in the summer which i (and possibly others) believe can go some way to explain the inconsistency of the season so far. give the man a year to mold the team - what did we expect Sherwood to be able to do with half a season anyway?

But the guy with no experience did just as good. Sherwood has shown just how bad AVB was.
That in itself is a useful exercise.
Also the whole Sherwood plotting in the background issue is now played out.
A new manager will have a clean slate.

And the players are currently getting a well deserved kick in the ****.

I still feel it was the right decision and I don't think we would be much better or worse off now if he had stayed in charge although I definitely think we would be slightly further down the table, maybe 8th or 9th. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I initially wanted AVB appointed but I was concerned by the end of last season that actually we had regressed in terms of our dynamism and fluency. Obviously that increased once Bale was sold and at the end I just wanted him to go really.

For me, I wish that in the summer of 2011 we had paid off Redknapp after the collapse at the end of 2010-11 season and gone for Ancelotti as he was angling for a job in London once he had left Chelsea. He was till hangining around and waiting, sometimes making it clear in the media he wanted to stay in London and it was only PSG coming in for him in February 2012 that meant we were unable to approach him, come the end of that 2011-12 season. I am pretty sure that had he remained unemployed up to the summer of 2012 then he would have become our manager. Failing that, I look at 2012 and believe that we made a mistake going for AVB instead of Martinez.

tickle my balls with a feather.....If i was Levy id make a bank busting offer to Martinez this summer as well and tempt him from Everton. He is young, ambitious, his teams play the way most Tottenham fans appreciate. We made the mistake in going for AVB instead of Martinez and i fear again we are going to go for the wrong man again even if LVG has a great pedigree.

You know why Levy will never go for Martinez??? its because Martinez wants the power to oversee everything thats happening at the club, the final say on all football matters. Of course at Spurs he would have no chance. Pity.

But the guy with no experience did just as good. Sherwood has shown just how bad AVB was.

The guy is so outspoken and c0cky in his beliefs that he will continue to cause trouble in the shadows ifhe remains at the club with a new manager in charge. I think its best if he moves on elsewhere this summer once Levy gets the new manager in. Sherwood is too divisive imo

i think the theory is that one manager in charge of a set of players over a season will have got further, in terms of squad development, than one who comes in for the second half.

Im open to the idea that AVB will not have found the answer after a full season with this squad, but cutting him off half way through just seemed wrong. we're now going to be in a similar position this summer - Sherwood having been in charge for half a season, which isn't a fair amount of time to make a judgment call on where he can take the squad. so we either do the same thing to Sherwood as we done to AVB - replace him without enough time to see where he was going or give him next season in charge to show what he can do (and inevitably get rid if we're not firing on all cylinders come Christmas) - replacing managers mid season is a pointless task except in extreme circumstances - a great one becoming available or the team being in a position where they look like being dragged in to a relegation battle

Back