• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The decision to fire AVB

one word : Adebayor - to exclude someone of that class says it all for me

avb had a horrible, smug arrogance about him, surprising for someone so young, maybe its a portugese thing but no-one at chelsea or our players were sad to see him go

How do you know this out of curiousity?

the class he showed on Thursday night?

He was poor on Thursday, but he's been our best performer this season by miles. If everybody in the team had done their jobs as well as Adebayor has done his this season, we'd be doing a lot better.

We're working on the assumption that AVB was fired.....

Nothing to back this up but I suspect he walked out and that Levy wasn't desperate to convince him otherwise. There's a strong case to argue that Levy did not do enough to support him since the start of the Summer so he must take a lot of responsibility for this.

I refer to my point in a previous thread....generally under AVB I was bored watching Spurs (especially post Bale). I dont want to be bored watching Spurs and with the amount of creative players at his disposal it wasn't good enough. I dont think we've got any more or less points under Sherwood than we would have done under AVB; I dont think Sherwood is the answer either.

We're working on the assumption that AVB was fired.....

Nothing to back this up but I suspect he walked out and that Levy wasn't desperate to convince him otherwise. There's a strong case to argue that Levy did not do enough to support him since the start of the Summer so he must take a lot of responsibility for this.

I refer to my point in a previous thread....generally under AVB I was bored watching Spurs (especially post Bale). I dont want to be bored watching Spurs and with the amount of creative players at his disposal it wasn't good enough. I dont think we've got any more or less points under Sherwood than we would have done under AVB; I dont think Sherwood is the answer either.

What creative players are those then apart from Eriksen?

I was just watching Monty Python (in preparation for going to the show in July) and this sketch just made me think of AVB:

[video=youtube;sw8ZL_gcTSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8ZL_gcTSM[/video]

I think if AVB had been able to maintain a relationship with Ade and had started him with Robbie S from the beginning of the season we would definitely be in the top 4 now? Do you guys agree or disagree?

You never know but dont see how you could come to that assessment? AVB's system was all about solidity in the midfield with numbers at the expense of creativity. By playing an extra forward he would have lost that, so have no idea whether it would have been for the better or worse...

I think if AVB had been able to maintain a relationship with Ade and had started him with Robbie S from the beginning of the season we would definitely be in the top 4 now? Do you guys agree or disagree?
He'd almost certainly have used the phrase "negative spiral" to describe Woolwich by now and fooked us up again ;)

Not sure. It's hard to say, nothing to guarantee we would have done any better.

Would our confidence have been just as shot at the back?

To me AVB made a couple of poor decisions around those two

- He should have played Soldado in the early Europe games (he'd have banged in another 5-8 goals and it would have eased a lot of the pressure on him)
- He should have figured out how to get Ade playing
- We need Eriksen in every game as well to supply

I think AVB made us more solid defensively until people realized we didn't offer that much threat, so they attacked us more, with a firing Ade/Soldado on board it might have been different.

The margins are small, you could probably look back at this season and find 3-4 incidents which turned losses -> draws, draws -> wins and say what if?

Truth is, AVB wasn't good enough, wasn't committed enough. His replacement is also not good enough and both highlight the need for experience, to affect the little things (as well as big) as much as possible to make the margins work in your favour.

AVB shouldn't have been sacked. He should have been given until the end of the season.

Has Moyes been removed prematurely?

Seems continuity is not in the vocabulary of the Spurs Board.

Still, if it means Sherwood is removed from the club completely by the end of the season, then every cloud has a silver lining.

AVB shouldn't have been sacked. He should have been given until the end of the season.

Has Moyes been removed prematurely?

Seems continuity is not in the vocabulary of the Spurs Board.

Still, if it means Sherwood is removed from the club completely by the end of the season, then every cloud has a silver lining.

I think the going consensus is AVB didn't want to stay (everything is speculation, but if that's the case it's hard to blame anyone)

Moyes is the worse example I could think of, at least we had the excuse of mid season, no managers available. United could have had Mourinho, Ancelotti, almost anyone and they chose Moyes??? they should fire him as quickly as possible, he will never bring them back to the top.

The real issue is does anyone have modern proof (not 25 years ago, in the last 5-7 years), any truly successful club that has done so by sticking with a manager? to me Cheat$ki, City, Barca, Madrid, PSG, Bayern, Ajax, list goes on .. not too much long term management there ..

You never know but dont see how you could come to that assessment? AVB's system was all about solidity in the midfield with numbers at the expense of creativity. By playing an extra forward he would have lost that, so have no idea whether it would have been for the better or worse...

I certainly wouldn't have been adverse to seeing Ade used as a wide forward within AVB's system (Ade and Lamela/Eriksen on opposite flanks in a 4-3-3 with Soldado in the centre).

But changing the system would have been a disaster. We spent a lot of time and effort learning to be a possession side. If we'd thrown that out the window by going a man short in midfield, we'd've had nothing to fall back on.

For me a more interesting question is, if we'd kept Bale, could we have won the league? Because 10 months ago we were miles ahead of Liverpool.

I'm really not sure about this "AVB had us solid at the back but we were no good going forward".

First, because it's not really true that we were solid at the back. There was a lot of pulling down strikers' shorts going on and a lot of hammerings dished out. The memory of Ravel Morrisson sprinting into 200 acres of empty WHL grass still haunts.

And second, because the point of football is to score more goals than the other lot. If you won every game 9-8 you'd be champions and nobody would care that you conceded hundreds of goals. I always thought that AVB had a system that needed 12 players in it; the 11 he played and one more to give us more offensive threat. Either that or 10 players plus Bale, which was like playing with 12. With 11 on the pitch though, he was short.

I'm really not sure about this "AVB had us solid at the back but we were no good going forward".

First, because it's not really true that we were solid at the back. There was a lot of pulling down strikers' shorts going on and a lot of hammerings dished out. The memory of Ravel Morrisson sprinting into 200 acres of empty WHL grass still haunts.

And second, because the point of football is to score more goals than the other lot. If you won every game 9-8 you'd be champions and nobody would care that you conceded hundreds of goals. I always thought that AVB had a system that needed 12 players in it; the 11 he played and one more to give us more offensive threat. Either that or 10 players plus Bale, which was like playing with 12. With 11 on the pitch though, he was short.

Have to say I agree with this. I've said it about a hundred times, but we didn't concede to begin with against the lesser teams because we kept possession. As soon as teams realised that if you stretch our back four and get at us we are all over the place, they started to do that. For the first few games we got away with it, eventually we started conceding.

I don't know if AVB would have sorted things going forward and I'm still undecided whether we should have given him the chance but I do know that a team that draws every game in the premier league 0-0 will end up relegated, so being just solid at the back (even though we in truth weren't) isn't enough.

The truth of the matter is that we've been no better or no worse without him, so the decision to sack him probably didn't really matter unless you feel he really was the guy to take us forward.

A question for those who think he was;

AVB never sacked. We end up with the exact same results and points total that we do at the end of this season with TS. LVG is available, should we stick with AVB or go with LVG?

if AVB got the same results as TS and we end the season they way we really are now, then yes, as an AVB fan, who thought sacking him was short sighted idiocy, he should be sacked, irrelevant of who is available

ah, I see, sorry, well yes, well we wouldn't know what we know now would we, although i'm sure we'd all be equally underwhelmed as we were in December

Back