• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The decision to fire AVB

tickle my balls with a feather.....If i was Levy id make a bank busting offer to Martinez this summer as well and tempt him from Everton. He is young, ambitious, his teams play the way most Tottenham fans appreciate. We made the mistake in going for AVB instead of Martinez and i fear again we are going to go for the wrong man again even if LVG has a great pedigree.

You know why Levy will never go for Martinez??? its because Martinez wants the power to oversee everything thats happening at the club, the final say on all football matters. Of course at Spurs he would have no chance. Pity.

Our club is run by bottle merchants, blame shifting - not me guvnor, back stabbing types, who are unwilling to show support for the manager when it's most needed. It's why the likes of Rogers and Martinez turned their noses up at joining us when Levy sounded them out.

tickle my balls with a feather.....If i was Levy id make a bank busting offer to Martinez this summer as well and tempt him from Everton. He is young, ambitious, his teams play the way most Tottenham fans appreciate. We made the mistake in going for AVB instead of Martinez and i fear again we are going to go for the wrong man again even if LVG has a great pedigree.

You know why Levy will never go for Martinez??? its because Martinez wants the power to oversee everything thats happening at the club, the final say on all football matters. Of course at Spurs he would have no chance. Pity.

No I think the reason he won't go for Martinez is because it will now cost him a small fortune that he knows he can spend towards another pointless midfielder and therefore it isn't value for money.

No I think the reason he won't go for Martinez is because it will now cost him a small fortune that he knows he can spend towards another pointless midfielder and therefore it isn't value for money.

one thing with Levy is that he has never been shy on spending big bucks in compensation to get the man he wants. He did it with Hoddle, Ramos, and Redknapp.

Our club is run by bottle merchants, blame shifting - not me guvnor, back stabbing types, who are unwilling to show support for the manager when it's most needed. It's why the likes of Rogers and Martinez turned their noses up at joining us when Levy sounded them out.

there is that too, especially with Rodgers it seems

I don't think it is just run like it, I think a number of the playing staff are like it. First hint of the season not quite going where we all wanted and a couple of players suddenly via unnamed sources start sounding out about needing to consider their future. These bottlers are part of the problem and whilst I don't want to overhaul the squad on a massive scale I would rather get rid of these types now and that includes Vertonghen and Lloris if they feel they are above the club and haven't at all contributed to this car crash of a season.

Someone mentioned earlier on this thread and they are right, the players are the common denominator. AVB and Sherwood have both made errors whilst in the role but the players have shown themselves collectively, and some individually, to be spineless, weak individuals who are cheating. They are cheating their team mates, the club and their fans with sub standard performances and probably sub standard commitment.

one thing with Levy is that he has never been shy on spending big bucks in compensation to get the man he wants. He did it with Hoddle, Ramos, and Redknapp.

I think he spent big on Redknapp more than the others but it is a moot point. I think the fact he has had to do it before will mean he would rather save on the hassle and approach someone available. Cost cutting, scrimping and proving that such behaviour is a false economy. Thats what I envisage happening. Cheapest option regardless of whether it is best for the club long term this time.

he has had to pay out before. Maybe why he does not care if he has to pay off Tim. As if he gets LvG he wont have to pay to get him at all.

Absolutely the right decision to get rid of AVB. He just wasn't the right fit for Spurs in the first place, his footballing ethos is just anti-Spurs. I've never been more emotionally removed and apathetic about Spurs. Under Redknapp I was excited, under Sherwood I am angry and sad, under AVB I was just bored and couldn't bring myself to give half of a **** about Spurs. They weren't my club anymore. Didn't feel like it, anyway. I can remember games where the game was so stifled neither team created a chance all game. That's not football.

Our current performances do not call into question the decision to get rid of AVB, they call into question the decision to make Sherwood head-coach.

you can't decouple the two decisions, firing avb and appointing sherwood.

guess the question right now is should we have just kept AVB until the real coach is appointed i.e. end of season

you can't decouple the two decisions, firing avb and appointing sherwood.

guess the question right now is should we have just kept AVB until the real coach is appointed i.e. end of season

Why can't you decouple the two decisions? What a bizarre thing to say.

Should we have just kept going with AVB?? No. By the end of the 18 months or so that he was at the helm I honestly felt we were going backwards.

Why can't you decouple the two decisions? What a bizarre thing to say.

I think he's spot on.

We were never going to get a top class coach in mid-season/pre WC, and ideas like Hoddle coming in as caretaker were never really a runner.

So in effect sacking AVB = giving Sherwood the job.

I think he's spot on.

We were never going to get a top class coach in mid-season/pre WC, and ideas like Hoddle coming in as caretaker were never really a runner.

So in effect sacking AVB = giving Sherwood the job.

You can't say that. For one, why were ideas like Hoddle coming in as caretaker never really a runner?

The fact that there was a delay between AVB being sacked and Sherwood being announced shows that it wasn't a case of sacking AVB = giving Sherwood the job.

There are coaches out of work we could have appointed on a temporary basis, or there are managers we could have employed permanently. There were other options. It is ridiculous to suggest that sacking AVB = giving Sherwood the job. That's what happened, yes, but its not what needed or had to happen.

We should never have hired AVB in the first place. We should have gone all out to get Benitez imo. I think he'd have given us a better chance of trophies and a top 4 finish.

We should never have hired AVB in the first place. We should have gone all out to get Benitez imo. I think he'd have given us a better chance of trophies and a top 4 finish.

Definitely the wrong decision to hire AVB. I think I read an article by Greg Stobart, who is clearly fed info/spin by the club that said he was never the prime candidate after Harry was sacked, but blew them away during the interview with his presentation.

Levy needs to find a manager that has a long track record of working with other people's buys and doesn't require certain players to fit a rigid system.

AVB had a plan and a system, as people so love to point out. The problem is that requires certain players that can play certain roles and they are necessary for the system to work. I think we attempted to meet half-way this summer with some of the players, but really it was AVB's way or the high-way for the relationship to work and I think from the time Levy decided the Moutinho deal was just becoming too expensive, the relationship was doomed.

This isn't Levy's fault, BTW, he has to safe guard the club's interests and we don't have money to throw around at random 3rd parties that pop up at the last minute. It's just that the relationship, IMO was never going to work long-term and I don't think AVB was suited to us at all.

The worst decision was appointing avb in the first place. The evidence was there from his time at Chelsea, bizarre tactics, dull football and not taking the players with him. FFS they went on to win the CL later that season with a nothing manager in Di Matteo! Levy ignored all the evidence and we are now totally screwed with the possibility of being humiliated at home by the club we all despise!

You can't say that. For one, why were ideas like Hoddle coming in as caretaker never really a runner?

The fact that there was a delay between AVB being sacked and Sherwood being announced shows that it wasn't a case of sacking AVB = giving Sherwood the job.

There are coaches out of work we could have appointed on a temporary basis, or there are managers we could have employed permanently. There were other options. It is ridiculous to suggest that sacking AVB = giving Sherwood the job. That's what happened, yes, but its not what needed or had to happen.

Hoddle was probably the only other option, and I personally think Levy would have dismissed the idea of bringing him back, so I believe Sherwood was then effectively appointed by default.

As someone else said above, though, we didn't sack AVB, he basically brought matters to a head himself by accounts, and I wouldn't be surprised if he told Levy straight out he'd had enough. Didn't get the player or players he'd wanted, then had Bale sold off as well — I think he'd given up on the club and on its chairman, "ambition" and all. I wasn't bothered by that stage, personally, because I'd almost rather have stuck pins in my eyes than watch another AVB side bore its way through another 90 minutes, but I do believe it was then inevitable that Sherwood would take over; I predicted it at the time.

In terms of results, as it turns out, and probably performances as well, really — as my mother-in-law would say, "All wi do is change black monkey fi black dog." Levy's made his own bed, though, and we all have to lie in it, at least until the end of the season.

one word : Adebayor - to exclude someone of that class says it all for me

avb had a horrible, smug arrogance about him, surprising for someone so young, maybe its a portugese thing but no-one at chelsea or our players were sad to see him go

....is the wrong question to ask. We didn't fire him he left by mutual consent. It was clear that it wasn't working for either party by the end and therefore was undoubtedly the correct way forward for both at that stage. No question.

one word : Adebayor - to exclude someone of that class says it all for me

avb had a horrible, smug arrogance about him, surprising for someone so young, maybe its a portugese thing but no-one at chelsea or our players were sad to see him go

the class he showed on Thursday night?

Back