• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The decision to fire AVB

Stats show Sherwood has done better in the league that AVB this season.
Most people want Sherwood gone.

What does that say about AVB?

The decision was correct. How things were handled from immediately after the decision to date have been extremely poor.

This .. firing AVB = understandable, having no backup plan = wtf? appointing TS = wtf?

To me the next couple of games will show if we have learned anything, if March turn out like we all expect, TS has to go (and his crew), keeping them will just damage the club more (and his rants to the media aren't helping)

Is that really a serious question?

- Why keep it to the PL only? if you add cups what does TS record look like?
- TS had a very easy run of about 5 or 6 PL in a row, the only difference is luck of scheduling, as someone in another thread pointed out, I'm sure his will be worse once we have played the Scum and Pool.
- AVB needed to go, but to some extent you knew what his plan/philosophy was, TS=?? what? play Harry Kane as our savior?

The only reason i had enough of AVB was the football was boring but the football is still **** so i think it was a big mistake.

- TS had a very easy run of about 5 or 6 PL in a row, the only difference is luck of scheduling, as someone in another thread pointed out, I'm sure his will be worse once we have played the Scum and Pool.
- AVB needed to go, but to some extent you knew what his plan/philosophy was, TS=?? what? play Harry Kane as our savior?

Because you play the same teams in the league. If Sherwood had an easy run of 5 or 6 in a row then AVB must've as well considering he was in charge of 16 games to Sherwood's 13. How can you compare AVB's cup fixtures with Sherwood's? Tbilisi x2, Sheriff x2, Anzhi x2 and Tromso x2 were basically all free wins and are only being used to bump AVB's numbers, there's no comparision between those teams and the teams Sherwood faced(Arsenal, Dnipro, Benfica). I'm sure had he somehow lost to some of those teams then they'd have been conveniently ignored.

That we got rid of him and replaced him with someone many don't like who seems to be losing the plot (based on his post-Chelsea interview and trying to lamp the Benfica manager

Because you cant compare AVB's qualifying rounds and group games of the Europa to Sherwood's later stages.

Last edited:
That we got rid of him and replaced him with someone many don't like who seems to be losing the plot (based on his post-Chelsea interview and trying to lamp the Benfica manager

And despite all that Sherwood (timmeh the yts idiot boy etc) has got better results than AVB.

Because you cant compare AVB's qualifying rounds and group games of the Europa to Sherwood's later stages.

Same as you can't compare playing Pool & Scum to bottom 8 sides, do you honestly believe that after Scum & Pool TS will even be equal to AVB?

Come on, your best argument is TS is not as much **** as the last guy who got fired?

And despite all that Sherwood (timmeh the yts idiot boy etc) has got better results than AVB.
Against some teams he has:
Better results than AVB versus Man Utd, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
Same result, but better scorelines than AVB versus Palace, Swansea, Emirates Marketing Project :)lol:).
Worse results than AVB versus Hull, Norwich, Chelsea.

He's also played (who AVB didn't) SCBC, West Brom and Stoke.
He's not played (who AVB did) Goons, Spammers, Villa, Fulham, Sunderland and Liverpool.

Personally, I fail to see how Sherwood's results are any better than Villas Boas'. They're basically on a par. We get thrashed by better sides and lose every now and then against inferior opposition. You can always find another stat to support any argument in this day and age but the bottom line is, results are basically the same. The football isn't much better either, though to be fair, it's difficult to look attractive when you lose so heavily.

I don't believe for one second any club with any kind of ambition would keep Sherwood based on that record. Sure, we could always sell the whole squad and buy ourselves a new one but that would just put us back to square one. Like it or not, players need time to gel and they need a proper gameplan to follow. That's my biggest complaint about Sherwood: he just keeps changing things around until he finds the winning formula. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, at least not at this level. Sure, he's had to deal with injuries and all that but he obviously has no idea of what is best team would look or play like.

Right now, I'd take anyone with a philosophy and a clear idea of the system they want to play over Sherwood, even if it were Holloway. It's not a guarantee of success but that's the only way forward now.

Same as you can't compare playing Pool & Scum to bottom 8 sides, do you honestly believe that after Scum & Pool TS will even be equal to AVB?

Come on, your best argument is TS is not as much **** as the last guy who got fired?

Maybe he will ...

Against the current top half:

AVB - P8 W0 D3 L5 GF3 GA19

TIM - P6 W4 D0 L2 GF11 GA12

I dont think Sherwood is the answer I dont think AVB was the answer either.
And when Sherwood loses to Arsenal and Liverpool coming up he'll still have more points per game than AVB.

My point is, the team he inherited was full of top technical footballers. Yes he wanted Moutinho and didn't get him, but the type of player AVB preferred was big, fast, strong players with a good work rate, instead of those who can pass and control a football. In some lines of work, hard work comes above talent. Not in football. AVB preferred Dempsey to Van Der Vaart. Paulinho and Capoue to Huddlestone. Dembele to Eriksen or Holtby. Sigurdsson to Kranjcar. Physical attributes over footballing ones. He was the complete opposite of Hoddle - who built his team around Sheringham, Poyet, Redknapp, Anderton and Ziege - all very good technical players but no pace or aggression about them.

At the end of the day, you need "tekkers" in your side. If you don't, you can grind out results but you'll never be a top team. And whilst AVB didn't have full control over the transfers, if this is what we're lacking then you make damn sure you scream your ****ing ******** off in transfer meetings to get players like that, and when you do have limited amounts of them you make sure that you get Eriksen and Holtby on the pitch at the same time instead of making it one or the other or neither, and you don't unnecessarily sell players that do fit this mould before your Director of Football has even come in.

i think we have wildly different ideas as to the state of the squad which he inherited to be honest.

Personally, I fail to see how Sherwood's results are any better than Villas Boas'. They're basically on a par. We get thrashed by better sides and lose every now and then against inferior opposition. You can always find another stat to support any argument in this day and age but the bottom line is, results are basically the same. The football isn't much better either, though to be fair, it's difficult to look attractive when you lose so heavily.

I don't believe for one second any club with any kind of ambition would keep Sherwood based on that record. Sure, we could always sell the whole squad and buy ourselves a new one but that would just put us back to square one. Like it or not, players need time to gel and they need a proper gameplan to follow. That's my biggest complaint about Sherwood: he just keeps changing things around until he finds the winning formula. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, at least not at this level. Sure, he's had to deal with injuries and all that but he obviously has no idea of what is best team would look or play like.

Right now, I'd take anyone with a philosophy and a clear idea of the system they want to play over Sherwood, even if it were Holloway. It's not a guarantee of success but that's the only way forward now.

League games

Code:
Avb                     Sherwood
16	games		13
0.94	avg scored	1.69
1.31	avg conceded	1.23
50%	win rate	61.5%
31.25%	loss rate	23%
1.69	points/game 	2.0

My point is, the team he inherited was full of top technical footballers. Yes he wanted Moutinho and didn't get him, but the type of player AVB preferred was big, fast, strong players with a good work rate, instead of those who can pass and control a football. In some lines of work, hard work comes above talent. Not in football. AVB preferred Dempsey to Van Der Vaart. Paulinho and Capoue to Huddlestone. Dembele to Eriksen or Holtby. Sigurdsson to Kranjcar. Physical attributes over footballing ones. He was the complete opposite of Hoddle - who built his team around Sheringham, Poyet, Redknapp, Anderton and Ziege - all very good technical players but no pace or aggression about them.

At the end of the day, you need "tekkers" in your side. If you don't, you can grind out results but you'll never be a top team. And whilst AVB didn't have full control over the transfers, if this is what we're lacking then you make damn sure you scream your ****ing ******** off in transfer meetings to get players like that, and when you do have limited amounts of them you make sure that you get Eriksen and Holtby on the pitch at the same time instead of making it one or the other or neither, and you don't unnecessarily sell players that do fit this mould before your Director of Football has even come in.

Side note: I really want to find out who coined the term 'Tekkers' and punch them in the face.

Also Dempsey contributed more in that one season than van der vaart in any of his.

I see the argument is still "at least he's not as **** as the guy who got fired"

Let's be clear, the benchmark (AVB's league results) got a guy who got record league points total last year fired in less than 6 month (i.e. they are terrible)
So TS results would need to be significantly better.

Can someone put up a simple Played, win, lose draw, GF, GA table

And my expectation is the next two game at best will ad L2 GA6 to it.

Back