• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The big C

Thanks Marky. I'm trying to be the positive one for my mum and bro and for my dad when I see them.
I feel though that here, I can let my true face be seen.
And it's more helpful than you can ever imagine.
It's very cathartic being able to vent on here and act as if nothing's wrong when I'm with them.

Thanks Marky. I'm trying to be the positive one for my mum and bro and for my dad when I see them.
I feel though that here, I can let my true face be seen.
And it's more helpful than you can ever imagine.
It's very cathartic being able to vent on here and act as if nothing's wrong when I'm with them.

If it works for you then carry on then matey, as you say vent here and act fine when you are needed to

I'm sorry to hear that, it can't be at all easy on any of you :(

My brother had his CT scan yesterday. He found a second lump, but won't know about it til the scan results come back.
He has his pre-op on Friday and Op next Monday.

Sorry spring, hope all goes well during both ops and hope scans show positive results.

I think th thing I'm finding most hard is actually looking at my dad. Every time I look at his face I feel like a 34 year old child. It takes all my strength not to show him my true feelings, cos I know it won't help him in anyway.

Hey mate, don't be afraid to show your feelings to him or to say what you want to say to him. You will be surprised how much he can see your true emotions anyway, remember he has known you longer than anyone else. One thing I regret is not saying some things I should have said at the time because you think about things later in life that almost make you angry about yourself.

Tell him how you feel, show him how you feel, talk to him, joke with him, be sad with him, most of all enjoy all the time with him, whether it be months, years or decades as he is the man that has made you the man you are.

Thoughts are with you mate.

To the person who made this thread.....thank you. I know it's just black text on a dim corner of the internet, but from the very bottom of my heart, with all the sincerity and emotion I can humanly muster... thank you, friend. Thank you, everyone who shared (and will share) their stories and struggles here. Thank you for all the bravery and honesty you've shown.

I doubt you guys will ever know what the contents of this thread mean to me. But I'm so glad I found it, and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm writing this through blurred eyes and with shaking fingers. Keep strong, don't give in, chin up...I've heard all that before, and I know how hollow, how empty those things can sound. So allow me to say just this: somewhere out there, please know that you've made a cynical, jaded man feel things he hasn't felt in a long time.

This disease, this disorder, this putrid, evil curse....this is the bane of our time, and many, many more will fall under its bloody scythe before we finally f*cking end it. But that day will come. And some generation, be it ours or one that comes after us, will live in a sunnier, happier time when it is finally gone forever.

I'd like to post more on this thread, but I can't: it brings up things I'd much rather get back to forgetting. So, in the end, just...thank you for being human in trying times, for making others feel that they're not frightened children, alone and scared of the monster that lives inside them or inside their friend, their mother, their father, their wife or their child. Thank you.

To the person who made this thread.....thank you. I know it's just black text on a dim corner of the internet, but from the very bottom of my heart, with all the sincerity and emotion I can humanly muster... thank you, friend. Thank you, everyone who shared (and will share) their stories and struggles here. Thank you for all the bravery and honesty you've shown.

I doubt you guys will ever know what the contents of this thread mean to me. But I'm so glad I found it, and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm writing this through blurred eyes and with shaking fingers. Keep strong, don't give in, chin up...I've heard all that before, and I know how hollow, how empty those things can sound. So allow me to say just this: somewhere out there, please know that you've made a cynical, jaded man feel things he hasn't felt in a long time.

This disease, this disorder, this putrid, evil curse....this is the bane of our time, and many, many more will fall under its bloody scythe before we finally f*cking end it. But that day will come. And some generation, be it ours or one that comes after us, will live in a sunnier, happier time when it is finally gone forever.

I'd like to post more on this thread, but I can't: it brings up things I'd much rather get back to forgetting. So, in the end, just...thank you for being human in trying times, for making others feel that they're not frightened children, alone and scared of the monster that lives inside them or inside their friend, their mother, their father, their wife or their child. Thank you.

I started it, but I cannot take the credit for what it has become, it's down to everyone that has read and posted that has made it what it is.

You just made me cry. At work. On a building site.
And for that, I thank you.

Once again Dubai, your eloquence and ability to convey emotions is exceptional. Even a subject that obviously has significant meaning, you are able to give us a small insight into your life, which I guess is what this thread is about.

I too am writing this through tears as memories flood back about my dad, my father in law, friends, aunties and sadly a little girl I lived next door to. If it does nothing else, this thread has given many people from disparate backgrounds, religions, geographical areas and ages a bit of a common bond and place to maybe seek some understanding or more generally, just a place to talk.

I feel like I have opened up more in this thread than I have to my wife and daughter. I will take this thread and use it to talk to them about things, I hope others get similar, I don't know the word ..... Realisation ? Not sure, but whatever it is, thanks to all of you.

Hey mate, don't be afraid to show your feelings to him or to say what you want to say to him. You will be surprised how much he can see your true emotions anyway, remember he has known you longer than anyone else. One thing I regret is not saying some things I should have said at the time because you think about things later in life that almost make you angry about yourself.

Tell him how you feel, show him how you feel, talk to him, joke with him, be sad with him, most of all enjoy all the time with him, whether it be months, years or decades as he is the man that has made you the man you are.

Thoughts are with you mate.

This is very true. My Dad didn't die of cancer. He was an alcoholic who died from a brain hemorrhage and cerebral oedema following a fall that neither me or my mum knew about (him and my mum we separated but still very much in love). He went through periods of being completely sober, managing his drinking so that you wouldn't really know he was drinking and being completely off the rails.

Shortly before he died I called up to his flat for what was only meant to be a few minutes to see how he was. That ended up being hours, we chatted about daft things, laughed, complained about Spurs (he supported them too), talked about music and just general stuff. He was an intelligent bloke (at one stage in his life he passed the entrance exams for mensa, refused to join though), so he could talk about anything. I had stuff to do but just stayed there having a laugh and a joke with him. When I eventually left I gave him a bit of a playful hug and a pat on the head and called him a big w*nker or something along those lines and he laughed.

He died obviously unexpectedly not long after, I was so glad that for whatever reason that day I stayed and had a laugh with him. I probably would never have forgiven myself if I'd walked in and said 'oh for f*ck sake, he's drinking again', checked he was alright and then walked back out.

Last edited:
This is very true. My Dad didn't die of cancer. He was an alcoholic who died from a brain hemorrhage and cerebral oedema following a fall that neither me or my mum knew about (him and my mum we separated but still very much in love). He went through periods of being completely sober, managing his drinking so that you wouldn't really know he was drinking and being completely off the rails.

Shortly before he died I called up to his flat for what was only meant to be a few minutes to see how he was. That ended up being hours, we chatted about daft things, laughed, complained about Spurs (he supported them too), talked about music and just general stuff. He was an intelligent bloke (at one stage in his life he passed the entrance exams for mensa, refused to join though), so he could talk about anything. I had stuff to do but just stayed there having a laugh and a joke with him. When I eventually left I gave him a bit of a playful hug and a pat on the head and called him a big w*nker or something along those lines and he laughed.

He died obviously unexpectedly not long after, I was so glad that for whatever reason that day I stayed and had a laugh with him. I probably would never have forgiven myself if I'd walked in and said 'oh for f*ck sake, he's drinking again', checked he was alright and then walked back out.

Hey Millsy

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad for you that you got to spend that one moment in time with your Dad, in some ways I hope it gave him some respite from the affliction he was cursed with. Do you feel at the time it helped you come to terms with his death having shared the experience?

My father died in a similar manner. He was a a heavy alcoholic, one night whilst walking home he stumbled and landed on his nose causing a haemorrhage that couldn't be contained. My mother had divorced him by this point due to his alcoholism. He was emotionally abusive and she was worried that he would get to the point of making it physical.

We went on holiday in Turkey over the Christmas period and didn't tell him because he would have tried to stop my sister and I going. When we got back we found out that he had died on Christmas Eve. When he fell he had a copy of the Funday Times (the children's supplement of The Times) with him. He used to collect them and pass them on to me when we met. I went through a long period of my life feeling incredibly responsible not only for his death (wishing I hadn't gone away without telling him) and also being told I was now 'the man of the house', I put a lot of pressure on myself to be a 'man' even though I was 9 years old.

If I'm brutally honest and looking back now after going through some emotional instability myself, my father passing actually had a more positive effect on me. I was too young to have been able to form a very strong relationship with him and the moments he did show affection were usually when he was barely able to string a sentence together. If he was still alive I would have had a much more restricted upbringing along with a very negative male influence.

Much like your father Millsy, my Dad was a very well-liked by those he interacted with and a highly intelligent man when he wasn't drinking. I visited my family in Jammu after his death and I was met with so many lovely stories about him as a young man, very caring, helpful and an absolutely outstanding cricketer ;) I've chosen to remember him through these stories, rather than the man who wasted the chance to be a successful father and husband and I feel no hatred or negativity towards him.

Apologies for going somewhat off-topic with regards to this thread. It's quite cathartic to write this to people I have never met before and Millsy's post obviously struck a chord with me.

Hey Millsy

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad for you that you got to spend that one moment in time with your Dad, in some ways I hope it gave him some respite from the affliction he was cursed with. Do you feel at the time it helped you come to terms with his death having shared the experience?

It did a little, I'm not sure I have totally come to terms with it yet to be honest but I would certainly be more regretful had I not stayed that day.

My father died in a similar manner. He was a a heavy alcoholic, one night whilst walking home he stumbled and landed on his nose causing a haemorrhage that couldn't be contained. My mother had divorced him by this point due to his alcoholism. He was emotionally abusive and she was worried that he would get to the point of making it physical.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. It took a lot of thinking on whether to post my original post, and I actually considered deleting it after I had posted it, but I'm glad I didn't now.

My Mum hadn't divorced my Dad but they were separated. I don't think she ever feared it would become physical though.

Strangely, at the time that he died they had both kind of learned to accept that he was an alcoholic and live in a kind of harmony. My Dad would come up and stay with her when he wasn't drinking or was but had it under control, then just go again when he started to get out of control. In a strange way, when he died I was sad for them because after years of trying, they had finally worked out some kind of way to get along.

We went on holiday in Turkey over the Christmas period and didn't tell him because he would have tried to stop my sister and I going. When we got back we found out that he had died on Christmas Eve. When he fell he had a copy of the Funday Times (the children's supplement of The Times) with him. He used to collect them and pass them on to me when we met. I went through a long period of my life feeling incredibly responsible not only for his death (wishing I hadn't gone away without telling him) and also being told I was now 'the man of the house', I put a lot of pressure on myself to be a 'man' even though I was 9 years old.

Funny when I looked through my Dad's stuff, he had kept every single ticket stub and program of every single game (both Spurs and Northern Ireland) that he had taken me to over the years. He also used to give me the Funday times every Sunday too!

In the weeks coming up to my Dad's death he kind of went off the radar, neither me nor my Mum could get hold of him. This was a fairly common occurrence though so we didn't think too much of it until it became apparent there was something wrong. My mum ended up finding him, she went to his flat and ended up forcing the door open. The night before then I called to his flat and thought no-one was home. I thought about kicking the door down but didn't, I suppose in fear that there was nothing wrong with him and I would have wrecked his door for nothing. Me and my mum used to always say, no-matter what happened he always seemed to land on his feet, so I suppose I still held a hope that everything was OK.

My biggest regret to this day was not kicking the door in. Originally this was because I thought I may have found him alive, or post collapse and could have done something to save him. Once the PM came back, it was pretty clear he didn't have much of a chance, so my regret turned to the fact that my Mum had to find him lying there. She found her own mother in the same way a few years previous.

I'm an only child, so I felt the same pressures you did. It was tough trying to be there for my mum, act strong, do all the things I was supposed to do even though I had absolutely no idea what they were.

If I'm brutally honest and looking back now after going through some emotional instability myself, my father passing actually had a more positive effect on me. I was too young to have been able to form a very strong relationship with him and the moments he did show affection were usually when he was barely able to string a sentence together. If he was still alive I would have had a much more restricted upbringing along with a very negative male influence.

It's good that you find positivity in it, and I'm glad you've found peace with that. It takes a big person to say something like that and I have to commend you.

In a totally different way it had a positive effect on me too. I was obviously older than you, and grew up in times before it had fully taken hold of him. We had a great relationship when he wasn't drunk. We were probably more like best mates than we were Dad and son. Unfortunately the down side of that was I had to watch his downward spiral. He coached our youth football side, we won everything, he loved it, lived it even. He went from this to basically down and out in a matter of years. I watched him lose his wife, his house, his driving license, his job and eventually his life to alcohol.

But through it all, he taught me some very important things. Firstly, he was the best role model in the world by being the worst role model in the world. I watched him go through what he was going through and I know that will never be me. I still enjoy a drink but no way on earth will that ever be me. He taught me that there are way way more important things in life than money and jobs and that moments with friends are things that you will remember forever. He taught me a hell of a lot about football (which is probably the only thing he will actually care about having taught me!)

Much like your father Millsy, my Dad was a very well-liked by those he interacted with and a highly intelligent man when he wasn't drinking. I visited my family in Jammu after his death and I was met with so many lovely stories about him as a young man, very caring, helpful and an absolutely outstanding cricketer ;) I've chosen to remember him through these stories, rather than the man who wasted the chance to be a successful father and husband and I feel no hatred or negativity towards him.

One thing I find really helps is hearing stories about loved ones. The bad memories fade quickly, but the good ones never do. I'm so glad for you that you got that closure and the opportunity to hear those stories. I know how much it helps, in the weeks after my Dad's death I could have listened to stories about him for years.

I actually have a friend who plays in the MLS that e-mailed me a few months ago. He asked if I would mind if he got a tattoo to pay homage to the influence my Dad had on his career. To know that he had such an influence on someone at an early age makes me proud. I know that my Dad would also be proud to see someone he coached doing so well playing alongside the likes of Tim Cahill and Theirry Henry (although he probably would have suggested injuring Henry in training!!). Things like that make me happy.

Apologies for going somewhat off-topic with regards to this thread. It's quite cathartic to write this to people I have never met before and Millsy's post obviously struck a chord with me.

Yes, apologies everyone, I have taken this slightly off topic. All I can say is that this is probably the most I have written about my Dad's passing ever. So I think you all for giving me the opportunity.

I wish everyone well and positive thoughts to thingonaspring and all others going through tough times at the moment.

I don't think it was off-topic Millsy...not at all mate...

Benny...sorry...so sorry...just be sure that amidst all the confusion and turmoil you're going through, you process exactly what it is you need to do in terms of knowing what you CAN have closure on and (more importantly) being at peace with what you will never have closure on. We never get all the answers mate, it's just not the way it goes...know that we're all with you mate, it seems like we've all been on similar journeys and sometimes just knowing you are being heard can be everything...Steff

Just reading about Peaches Geldof dying suddenly at 25, life is so precious, make the most of it, be happy, have fun

my brother is in for his operation today.

Good luck today mate, hope all goes well.
Thoughts are with you at this time.

My dad was actually discharged from hospital today.
Dosed up on meds, we'll see where we go from here. I'm a hell of a lot more prepared for whatever outcome happens now though, thanks to everyone of you good people.

Lee

Thought I'd post an update.
Dad was due to start 2nd round of palliative chemo last Mon, but was unable to due to severe abdominal pain.
He's been in hospital ever since.
Dosed up on antibiotics and painkillers but he just seems to be wasting away and in a lot of pain.
All he wants to do is sleep.
Is this the beginning?
If it is, then so be it, there's nothing we can do, I just didn't want to see him suffer.
The last thing I wanted to remember my dad for was being in pain hooked up to a hospital bed, that's not the final memories of him I wanted.

My Dad was in hospital when he passed away. He slipped into a coma after a risky operation and never woke up. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I will not sugar coat it, it's not easy, the last few days of him being in hospital have replayed in my mind many times since he passed, you just have to do your best NOT to think about it as hard as it is. I've heard so many nice things about him that I never knew before since his passing, we've recently found loads of ISA's that he put in place over the years so he was looking out for us even before he knew he was ill.

My Dad was in hospital when he passed away. He slipped into a coma after a risky operation and never woke up. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I will not sugar coat it, it's not easy, the last few days of him being in hospital have replayed in my mind many times since he passed, you just have to do your best NOT to think about it as hard as it is. I've heard so many nice things about him that I never knew before since his passing, we've recently found loads of ISA's that he put in place over the years so he was looking out for us even before he knew he was ill.

Sorry to read this mate…it's true, these things are not easy and we only ever learn to live with them, as opposed to 'get over' them...

Back