• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The big C

I haven't been in this thread much, my apologies.

That's some better news spring, im glad for you and yours that it's not a major issue.
Fingers crossed he will be in the clear :)

Stuey, that's great what you're doing for your friend, treating him as normal as you can is probably helping him fight this disease more than he could ever tell you. Keep helping him fight, it'll help you too in the long run.
I wish him and yourself all the best.

Gale, that's terrible news, my thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

As Stuey said, a leveller. Sad to hear the passing of Steve Sutton yesterday. At 19.
Cancer doesn't care how old, how bad you are, how good you are, what you have or haven't achieved, who you leave behind, it just kills.
My thoughts are with his family at this time.

Big love.

Last edited:
I haven't been in this thread much, my apologies.

That's some better news spring, im glad for you and yours that it's not a major issue.
Fingers crossed he will be in the clear :)

Stuey, that's great what you're doing for your friend, treating him as normal as you can is probably helping him fight this disease more than he could ever tell you. Keep helping him fight, it'll help you too in the long run.
I wish him and yourself all the best.

Gale, that's terrible news, my thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

As Stuey said, a leveller. Sad to hear the passing of Steve Sutton yesterday. At 19.
Cancer doesn't care how old, how bad you are, how good you are, what you have or haven't achieved, who you leave behind, it just kills.
My thoughts are with his family at this time.

Big love.

Hope you're bearing up matey

So... bit of a bump. But a few things have happened. My brother has his second (and hopefully final) treatment of iodine radiotherapy for his thyroid/lymphoma in a couple of weeks.

However, my dad discovered a "non life threatening" cancerous tumour on his spine over last summer. He started a course of radiotherapy in November (visiting the hospital for 10 minutes each day then going home). He reacted badly to it, was in too much pain, and was admitted into hospital. He deteriorated quite badly, not able to look after himself very suddenly, and then, unfortunately, he picked up a couple of infections whilst still in the hospital. The second of which was a chest infection, and he wasn't strong enough to fight it off. He went into palliative care on Christmas Eve, and passed away on New Years Eve. Primary cause bronchopneumonia, secondary cause plasmacytoma. So even though it wasn't the big C that killed him, it's the reason he was in hospital in the first place.

Really sorry to hear that mate.

I find out on the 28th the grade my tumour was. Cancer certainly doesn't respect anyone as the OP says. At 30 I certainly didn't expect it.

Despite the general tone of the thread being a bit doom and gloom it'd be good for us all to chat about it.

cheers guys, was obviously a bit of a shock. it's weird to think that had he not been admitted to hospital he would probably have been better off. that can't be right? :rio:
got the funeral a week on friday. could be emotional :(

cheers guys, was obviously a bit of a shock. it's weird to think that had he not been admitted to hospital he would probably have been better off. that can't be right? :rio:

Happens all the time, sadly. Happened to my wife's gran, got an infection at hospital (MRSA I think) and she never really got over it before dying.

Don't worry too much, it really sucks at the moment but you'll get through all this eventually, my thoughts are with you

I started typing several times and then I glanced and saw the original date of the thread. Seeing it was still on the page of course you know it won't be good news.

Having been through this far too many times with family and friends my heart goes out to anyone having to deal with it. We are all individuals, we cope and deal with events like this very differently. In hindisight I wished my family had been able to talk more about my Dad's passing. I knew I wanted to and needed to but for my brother, my mother it was too hard for them for a long time. Some of the memories are very raw, other fade and the details go in the haze of grief as we switch to autopilot to cope. All I can say is to 'talk'. Make your peace if you can. Celebrate who they were, cherish what they gave you, forgive them their faults as it is not worth carrying that with you.

Modern medicine and palliative care is improving all the time and such wonderful work is carried out by the Hospices and the various Cancer support charities. My father was supported by a wonderful team of people from Hospice in The Weald, Macmillan and his local GP.

He was fortunate in a way not to have to enter a Hospice and he died in a small local hospital with his care managed by a Doctor he respected and who had grown to admire my father for his fight and courage. I'd had the police knock on my door in Finsbury Park the night before. I assumed the worst but they had been asked by my brother if they could make contact, as some utter bellend had taken our phone off the hook. I got to Sussex and we went to him early that next morning. He had clearly waited until his Mother, his wife and children were by his side and he slipped peacefully off. I know the Doctor did wonderfully by my father and when the time was right he upped his pain medication. One of his final words was to tell me to 'shut up' which was quite apt :)

I'm very Sorry to hear about Thing's Dad. Knowing someone is on a road of no return is very hard but time is a luxury you do have. With the elderly things can spiral out of control very quickly and you have little time to prepare yourself. Although even with time we are never fully prepared. We can take some comfort from the fact that they no longer suffer and seeing a loved one almost unrecognisable due to the ravgages of cancer or long term illness is very hard indeed.

For someone to go so suddenly I'm sure must have been very hard. Celebrate who he was, the life he gave you, the laughs and do something enjoyable each year to remember him by.

Back