• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The big C

my mum died in 2002, it started out as breast cancer and she beat it twice, the third time the ****er snuck up on us and had got into her blood before we even knew she was ill, started on the chemo again, which is hell, the things it did to her, it was a long time ago now but I remember that comforting her through the aftermath of that was a more visceral experience than near the end

she spent her last few months in a hospice and luckily I'd just lost my job so could spend a lot of time with her, my sister was at college at the other end of the country so had to go back and forth and I suspect she still feels guilty that she wasn't there all the time, not that anyone else in the family thinks she could have done any differently and she's certainly never been accused otherwise so I would definitely agree with the above about spending as much time as possible with him, as much for yourself as for him, cancer doesn't only affect one person at a time

the hospice was great, but she still felt like a prisoner, we spent a fortune on credit for her cell phone which was the only thing that kept her sane until the pain and the drugs started to take over, anything that can be done to bring a degree of normality will help, even small stuff, watching countdown even

for my mum I think the best thing I could do was to be there and be myself, I always tried to keep on top of my feelings and talk to her about "normal" stuff, she was incredibly optimistic, maybe it was just the drugs talking but she was convinced she'd get better and liked to imagine her next birthday party, even after we'd crossed the terminal status line, I always thought it would be wrong to put a downer on that

in saying that though it's important to try and be aware of the timeline, I'd reccomend having the doctors tell you as much as you can stand, I didn't want to ever walk into the room and have her see the shocked look on my face at the days regress so I always wanted to know what to expect

when things change they change quickly, very very quickly

when it happened it honestly was a relief, I know it's a cliche but it's true, not that you feel relief, I just felt numb for a while

and not everything stops, different people will deal with it in different ways, some will shut down mentally, others will be hysterical, wherever you are on the scale you'll get abuse from the opposite end for the way you handle it, people lash out when they are hurting, don't take things personally

you have to handle it in your own way though, there isn't a right answer how to mourn,

the funeral will only open things up again

to air another well worn cliche, it gets easier with time

sorry, this is a bit of a ramble, and I think all the advice I've offered has already been imparted by others more concisely

My Dad passed away 5 years ago but I still have some very tough days and that's ok. The first six months or so after he died I really did struggle I won't lie but I'm not the sort of person who keeps things inside, I wear my heart on my sleeve and people can always tell when something isn't right with me. The last time I actually spoke to him he said I would have to be the man of the house now which terrified me to be blunt as I was only 24 at the time.

I've found the best way to honour his memory is to get into the things my Dad loved, Cricket for a start. He loved Cricket but I could never get into the test format but I forced myself to watch the 2009 Ashes series and ever since then I've been hooked. I've also listened to a lot of the old music he used to like and I'm so glad I did as I never would have gotten into bands/Artists like The Eagles, America and Neil Young otherwise.

When he first passed one of the first things I thought was there's so many things I want to ask him but can't now, but people wisely assured me that I already would know the answer because I knew him so well and would have a pretty good idea of how he'd respond.

Jurgen you're probably my favourite poster here and now i like you even more.

In 2011 my dad also passed from Stomach issues and it was sudden (he died two weeks after going to hospital). He said the same thing to me (whilst in absolute pain and waiting for the emergency services to get to the house) about how i'm now the man of the house now, and how i should look after my mum and little brother. I was 25 when he passed so we have a lot in common.

Very kind of you to say that KD, the feeling is mutual.

This thread has been cathartic for me, even though millions of people have gone through this it does feel like you are the only sometimes as strange as that sounds.

Gentleman,

The honesty and candidness being shown is admirable and testament to the loved ones that have left you.
I'm taking great inspiration from you guys, and think I have a better understanding on how to deal with the rollercoaster of emotions that are in front of not only me, but my younger brother and mother too.
I understand there will be good and bad days and we'll have to take the rough with the smooth.
I understand there's no rule book for this kind of thing, so there's no right or wrong way to handle it.
Just have to take each day as it comes, not waste a moment and say all there is to say. There'll be no second chances and no regrets of missed opportunities.

For those of you that have shared your own personal stories, I thank you, not only for your openness but also for being strong enough, after however long, to share it with complete strangers.

Lee

Gentleman,

The honesty and candidness being shown is admirable and testament to the loved ones that have left you.
I'm taking great inspiration from you guys, and think I have a better understanding on how to deal with the rollercoaster of emotions that are in front of not only me, but my younger brother and mother too.
I understand there will be good and bad days and we'll have to take the rough with the smooth.
I understand there's no rule book for this kind of thing, so there's no right or wrong way to handle it.
Just have to take each day as it comes, not waste a moment and say all there is to say. There'll be no second chances and no regrets of missed opportunities.

For those of you that have shared your own personal stories, I thank you, not only for your openness but also for being strong enough, after however long, to share it with complete strangers.

Lee

Hey Lee

I don't have any first hand experience when it comes to losing family members to terminal illness, however my father passed away quite suddenly when i was a child, so I have experience with dealing with loss. What you have written here is just superb. I feel although it will be tough, you are and will continue to handle this situation admirably. You are absolutely right, do not waste a moment. This is my mantra in life as well as dealing with loss.

Steff, very sorry to hear about your friend too. I think this thread is a testament to how we can connect on this forum when you take away the fluff. Very enlightening reading through your posts and not afraid to admit, slightly teary too.

I hope your dad ain't a spurs fan because that performance tonight will not have done him any good. If he is a fellow yid make sure you take him to some games. When my father was suffering with Alzheime'rs before it got to bad we went to one last game together.

This is so true. Different people handle it differently. My mum had a mastectomy when she was 50 and was given a prosthetic boob. She introduced the prosthetic to me by dishing up egg and chips but instead of egg, the boob was sitting proudly in the middle of the chips. Broke a lot of ice that did. She succumbed to it ten years later....

My dad also died of lung cancer and that was the hardest thing I ever experienced. He was my absolute hero and it ripped me apart watching him die. As before, I had no idea how to deal with that level of loss (it was before my mum) and unfortunately it manifested in me having a fight outside the hospice. Something I've regretted ever since.

As has been said, relish every moment with him. If you want to open up do so. But don't always expect him to open up too as that may mean he has to accept what's happening to him.

One other thing I'll never forget is one of the McMillan nurses telling me it's the morphine that finishes them off in the end and that's to be taken as a blessing as they are in a state of euphoria. My mum was shopping down the market as far as she was concerned and my dad was talking to his (long gone) dad.

All the very best to you mate, my thoughts are with you.

By the way the above all happened over 20 years ago. It does get better but it never leaves you.

Nick

Fantastic wisdom, so sorry it has to be that way...

Gentleman,

Lee

You, my friend, gave us an opportunity to discuss something very very deep in a safe place, and to learn from each other. Thank you.

Update.

Just on train on way back from Guy's.
Strange morning really, refered to guy's from woolwich, due to suspicious shadows on my dads ct from Dec.
2nd scan 2 days ago as reference. Consultant pulled up both scan results and saw nothing suspicious at all.

Cancer has spread to adrenal gland, but we knew this, so chemo starts again next week, 4 cycles this time.

What annoys me really is woolwich hospital. No answers to questions we had, scare-mongery and referring us for false reasons. It took 7 weeks from the Dec scan till my dads appointment and subsequent referral. If it was that suspicious, we should have been seen quicker.
My dad wants to complain about woolwich, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

For those of you going through this too, keep your chins up and keep up the good fight. We may never win the war, but we'll win battles on the way.
Let's give cancer the bloody nose it deserves. :)

Lee

Update.

Just on train on way back from Guy's.
Strange morning really, refered to guy's from woolwich, due to suspicious shadows on my dads ct from Dec.
2nd scan 2 days ago as reference. Consultant pulled up both scan results and saw nothing suspicious at all.

Cancer has spread to adrenal gland, but we knew this, so chemo starts again next week, 4 cycles this time.

What annoys me really is woolwich hospital. No answers to questions we had, scare-mongery and referring us for false reasons. It took 7 weeks from the Dec scan till my dads appointment and subsequent referral. If it was that suspicious, we should have been seen quicker.
My dad wants to complain about woolwich, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

For those of you going through this too, keep your chins up and keep up the good fight. We may never win the war, but we'll win battles on the way.
Let's give cancer the bloody nose it deserves. :)

Lee

I'm not sure if this is a possibility, but IF you have the energy, HAMMER your GP to get him into the Marsden. Use the tomfoolery of Woolwich as ammunition. I'd badger the hell out of them to get him into Marsden as a patient ASAP. It is the best. My Mum's first cancer was missed, caught 6 months later by her GP and he was so mortified he said he would make sure she went to the Marsden. Her second cancer? They tried to refer to some hospital in Berkshire and she refused, saying Marsden or nowt as she had been a patient there before. Glad she forced the issue. It's worth a family punt IMO mate…good luck...

my brother found out yesterday that he has thyroid cancer. don't have all the details yet - appointment on tuesday, but seems like one of the" better" ones in terms of removal etc. he's a year and a bit older than me. my sister in law had endometrial cancer at a surprisingly young age, but was passed 5 years clear only a couple of weeks back.

this thread is a pretty serious thought-provoking read.

my brother found out yesterday that he has thyroid cancer. don't have all the details yet - appointment on tuesday, but seems like one of the" better" ones in terms of removal etc. he's a year and a bit older than me. my sister in law had endometrial cancer at a surprisingly young age, but was passed 5 years clear only a couple of weeks back.

Best of luck in the fight mate...man, this thread is a timely reminder that there really are massively more important things in life and that health is a main main one...

Good luck mate. Stick by your brother, help him through, and we'll help you through.

It really is. I lost an uncle to lung cancer back in 2007. He was diagnosed and passed away within 6 weeks. I wasn't overly close with him but the impact it had on my Dad strongly contributed to his own death in 2011. They are now buried side by side.

Reading all this really does put things in perspective. There's so much more to life than the stupid things we all get wound up about. It also shows the real benefit of a place like this.

Good luck to everyone.

Sorry for your loss millsy. Touching that they are side by side now.

Think that's why I started this thread, easier to talk in anonymity, among people that we don't know, but people we have a connection with everyday.

Of the hundreds that use this forum, if it helps one or two people go through one of the hardest things they'll ever face, with people offering support and their own experience to let them know they're not alone, then I think glory-glory has done a great thing.

Just seemed like a good idea, and everyone that has posted and even just read this thread is contributing to helping another in their time of need.

Sorry for your loss millsy. Touching that they are side by side now.

Think that's why I started this thread, easier to talk in anonymity, among people that we don't know, but people we have a connection with everyday.

Of the hundreds that use this forum, if it helps one or two people go through one of the hardest things they'll ever face, with people offering support and their own experience to let them know they're not alone, then I think glory-glory has done a great thing.

Just seemed like a good idea, and everyone that has posted and even just read this thread is contributing to helping another in their time of need.

You're a wise fella mate…I am one of those who wears it and is happy to discuss anything, plus I agree with you, people DO have a connection with each other whether they always know it or not…

Strength in numbers my friend…thinking of your fight and again, it's great that you started this…please do continue to say what you need to say/ask/express and as always, we'll check in.

Hope it's been a good day thus far…

Steff

It really is. I lost an uncle to lung cancer back in 2007. He was diagnosed and passed away within 6 weeks. I wasn't overly close with him but the impact it had on my Dad strongly contributed to his own death in 2011. They are now buried side by side.

Reading all this really does put things in perspective. There's so much more to life than the stupid things we all get wound up about. It also shows the real benefit of a place like this.

Good luck to everyone.

=D>
Well said Millsy…sorry to hear about your Uncle…yes mate, tough days but we march on as we must…indeed, good luck to everyone!

Thought I'd post an update.
Dad was due to start 2nd round of palliative chemo last Mon, but was unable to due to severe abdominal pain.
He's been in hospital ever since.
Dosed up on antibiotics and painkillers but he just seems to be wasting away and in a lot of pain.
All he wants to do is sleep.
Is this the beginning?
If it is, then so be it, there's nothing we can do, I just didn't want to see him suffer.
The last thing I wanted to remember my dad for was being in pain hooked up to a hospital bed, that's not the final memories of him I wanted.

Back