• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FourFourTwo ‏@FourFourTwo
AIK cancel friendly against #Milan because Italians can't guarantee that Ibrahimovic will still be playing for them

Didn't Jol play him as a winger initially?

he played left back for Southampton, joined us and Jol played him both at left back and left midfield iirc. Even Redknapp said Bale could be one of the best left backs in the world

Despite the dashing style of the 21-year-old winger, Redknapp believes his strongest position will be at left-back.

"In the long term I eventually see Gareth dropping back and playing at left-back where he can be one of the best, if not the best," he said.

"That may sound a bit strange to some people at the moment, especially after the brilliant way he has played against Inter, and because we are very strong down the left side at the moment, especially with Benoit Assou Ekotto at left-back."

AUSTRALIA'S best young goal keeper Mathew Ryan could make the switch of a lifetime after accepting an offer to trial for English team Tottenham Hotspur.

The 20-year-old has won back-to-back young player of the year awards and was named as the A-league's best goal keeper this season.

Ryan will be given a week to impress at White Hart Lane, London, and if he can convince Tottenham Hotspur's new manager, Andre Vilas Boas, of his worth it would mark a huge step for the one-time Plumpton junior.

It is thought that the Mariners would be seeking between $500,000 and $1 million for their goal keeper who, despite his relatively modest 181-centimetre frame, is widely considered as the long-term successor to Mark Schwarzer for the Socceroos.

Tottenham have endured ongoing goalkeeping problems and last year looked to find a short-term solution to their woes by signing American veteran Brad Friedel, who will turn 42 years old at the end of the upcoming English Premier League season.

While Heurelho Gomes and Carlo Cudicini are also on Tottenham's books, Gomes has proven himself to be erratic while Cudicini will be 39 in September and has seldom been considered a first-team option.

Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull said he was happy for Ryan.

''It is a magnificent opportunity and experience for Mathew to have a look at a top premier league club,'' Turnbull said. "Tottenham move into their new training facility on the first of August so it will be a great experience for him.''

''Our stated policy as a club is to reward Australian youth. 'Arnie' [Mariners coach Graham Arnold] has embraced this policy enthusiastically and it has got results on the field; it has got results off the field and it proves that the Mariners can provide a career path for young Australians who want a career in football.''

However, it is not only Tottenham who are interested in the young star. Premiership sides QPR, Fulham and West Bromwich Albion have all contacted Ryan's management to express an interest in having him train with them. However, the Mariners are waiting for the formal paperwork to be lodged by those clubs first.

Central Coast knocked back a trial offer for English Championship side Burnley two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, Ryan's former Mariners' teammate Mustafa Amini has made a promising start to life in Germany with his new club Borussia Dortmund.

Amini only arrived with the Bundesliga champions a few weeks ago but he has earned a full 90-minute hit-out against fourth-division side SV Meppen and scored in a 2-1 victory.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...g-his-spurs-20120713-221e9.html#ixzz20VxM896k

This would be a great signing. He's been brilliant for the Mariners in the A-League. If we could sign him and Lloris, we'd be set for years.

This would be a great signing. He's been brilliant for the Mariners in the A-League. If we could sign him and Lloris, we'd be set for years.

Lloris is 25. Considering the general longevity of a goalkeeper's stay at a club, Lloris's relative youth, and his (apparent) fantastic ability, I'd say this lad would have quite a wait on his hands to become our main number one. I doubt he'd be willing to wait for the five to six years it would take for a change to occur in our goalkeeping situation. And I'd rather we didn't destroy (or at least hamper) a promising young GK's career for that length of time. Nah, someone else can have him. Unless of course we buy him and then sell him on to a smaller club with a buyback clause inserted into the deal.

Lloris is 25. Considering the general longevity of a goalkeeper's stay at a club, Lloris's relative youth, and his (apparent) fantastic ability, I'd say this lad would have quite a wait on his hands to become our main number one. I doubt he'd be willing to wait for the five to six years it would take for a change to occur in our goalkeeping situation. And I'd rather we didn't destroy (or at least hamper) a promising young GK's career for that length of time. Nah, someone else can have him. Unless of course we buy him and then sell him on to a smaller club with a buyback clause inserted into the deal.

You're right. I was thinking we'd loan him out somewhere, similar to Courtois at Chelsea/Athletico Madrid. I just feel it would be too big a jump to sign only him and expect him to replace Friedel next season.

All in all, I think I'd rather £1m on Ryan than £7-10m on Butland.

The Club can confirm the departures of Louis Saha, Ben Alnwick, Oscar Jansson, Kudus Oyenuga, Mirko Ranieri and Jesse Waller Lassen following the conclusion of their contracts along with Academy players Paul McBride, Lee Angol, Ronnie Hawkins, Ramil Sheriff and James Yeboah.

We wish them all the best for the future.
Cameron Lancaster and Ryan Fredericks, who both made their First Team debuts last season, have signed new contracts until 2014, while Scotland Under-21 goalkeeper Jordan Archer has signed a new contract until 2013.
First Year professional contracts have been awarded to Jack Barthram, Jonathan Miles, Jack Munns and Kevin Stewart, while William Ekong has been awarded a Third Year Scholarship.

Small frame typically means they make up for it by being quick, agile and good with the ball at their feet. Sweeper keeper!!!!!

You're right. I was thinking we'd loan him out somewhere, similar to Courtois at Chelsea/Athletico Madrid. I just feel it would be too big a jump to sign only him and expect him to replace Friedel next season.

All in all, I think I'd rather £1m on Ryan than £7-10m on Butland.

Oh, I agree. Judging by what you've said, this lad seems promising, and buying him would be a relatively risk-free punt if we're looking at a long-term solution, at least compared to the (imo)horrendously overpriced Butland. But seeing as Lloris is a distinct possibility, I'd say that if we get him we'll have the GK position nailed down for the next four to five years at the least. Even if we loaned out this lad on a long-term deal, we'll still be faced with the problem of what to do with him when he comes back, since even the long-term deals rarely last more than two to three years. That's my chief concern, really.

Small frame typically means they make up for it by being quick, agile and good with the ball at their feet. Sweeper keeper!!!!!

Rene Higuita was, and remains, five foot nine.

[video=youtube;rO8_auA2TdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO8_auA2TdQ[/video]

:lol:

Last edited:
The Club can confirm the departures of Louis Saha, Ben Alnwick, Oscar Jansson, Kudus Oyenuga, Mirko Ranieri and Jesse Waller Lassen following the conclusion of their contracts along with Academy players Paul McBride, Lee Angol, Ronnie Hawkins, Ramil Sheriff and James Yeboah.

We wish them all the best for the future.
Cameron Lancaster and Ryan Fredericks, who both made their First Team debuts last season, have signed new contracts until 2014, while Scotland Under-21 goalkeeper Jordan Archer has signed a new contract until 2013.
First Year professional contracts have been awarded to Jack Barthram, Jonathan Miles, Jack Munns and Kevin Stewart, while William Ekong has been awarded a Third Year Scholarship.

The agony and the ecstasy. Not so much for the senior players, but for the kids.

For some of those Academy players, today is the end of the dream. Some of them might get new clubs, and some may even drop down a league or two and come back to the top after a few years of work and improvement. But for many, their careers are essentially over. Not least because some will be so mentally upset that they just can't climb back on the pony.

I guess it's about that period between, say, 16 and 19 when your youthful promise either kicks on to survive in the man's game, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you might be done, not just at Spurs, but any pro club. Harsh stuff, but that's life. Some of them could be working in Tesco's in 2 years.

The agony and the ecstasy. Not so much for the senior players, but for the kids.

For some of those Academy players, today is the end of the dream. Some of them might get new clubs, and some may even drop down a league or two and come back to the top after a few years of work and improvement. But for many, their careers are essentially over. Not least because some will be so mentally upset that they just can't climb back on the pony.

I guess it's about that period between, say, 16 and 19 when your youthful promise either kicks on to survive in the man's game, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you might be done, not just at Spurs, but any pro club. Harsh stuff, but that's life. Some of them could be working in Tesco's in 2 years.

Even if they end up working at Tesco's, at the very least they can say they were Spurs youth teamers, trained at the Lodge with some of our best players, played competitive under-18 games for the club and have their names in the club's player history books. Plus, the youth system we have seems to work in conjunction with the Spurs Foundation and the schools and colleges around Haringey quite a lot, so I'd say they've also learned quite a few valuable and job-transferable skills to ensure they make it in the real world.And I'm fairly certain the club stages XI games with released players on a fairly regular basis, in order to attract lower-league talent scouts and help the youngsters find new clubs. I doubt Spurs would just leave them with no future once the club decides they're not good enough.

118f4f0e_1254334927_celebration-dance.gif

118f4f0e_1254334927_celebration-dance.gif

Actually LOL :lol:

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
Pascal Chimbonda believes he still has the hunger and desire required to play in England

I'd assume that Bale will either end up right inside forward or left back. It'll be interesting to see if AVB doesn't use him as an inverted winger.

Bale at LB would be devastating. If we toy with the idea that Sigurdsson would play on the left wing role allowing him to cut in and shoot, bale could make those overlapping runs with much more ease. there is no way the opposing teams will dbl up on bale if he's a LB, too much room open for everyone else to take advantage. I can see AVB employing this tactic when BAE goes to the ACN.

Back