• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Suddenly, second place doesn't look like such a moonshot

City still have to go to Goodison, Old Trafford, Liberty and of course to WHL. Around a third of the season remaining, of course everyone will have some tough games to go.

4th is of course still our primary target, and of course the team should just focus on the next game, but looking at the table and remaining fixtures I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping and looking up the table as well as down.

Tbh I have never really looked at Citys remaining fixtures as I had written off any chance of 2nd,but looking at that, bearing in mind most of us have 6 home, 6 away to go, that is almost as tough as Evertons run in.
Despite all their in-house troubles Chelsea will fancy their chances of 2nd based on that. A win at home to City would be another massive result.
Maybe, just maybe a United-Chelsea-Tottenham-Emirates Marketing Project final Top 4 is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Still, too many games left to start dreaming. Next 3 games for Spurs are almost Cup finals (one is for sure for West Ham fans!)

We need Adebayor to hit the form of last season - that is vital. Perhaps JD's injury may have a silver lining.

We still haven't seen how Kaboul will fit into the side once he returns.

I think as long as Mancini is ManCity's manager, we have every chance to finish ahead of them. Ofcourse, we need to make the most of our remaining matches.

Forget that, the title is still on and mathematically possible...:-k

Lets stick to the program. 4th will be a magnificent achievement in AVB's first season, anything better is a bonus

This line of thought always gets you into trouble as it sets the team up for failure. We are 4th now and many would consider that we are over achieving with this. Moving the bar even higher, which happened last year with Redknapp, is a bit unfair as the reasons we are not a top 2 team will be enivitably be exposed.

We could sneak 2nd but we'd need to kick up a level from how we are playing at the moment. We are good but not tearing teams apart good.

Realistically I think we need City to be in the title race. It gives them motivation to take points of our opponents. The signs aren't good though as yesterday they all but gave up for the last 10-15 mins of that match, so I think in their heads they are already out of it.

Actually ... we have a much bigger chance of dropping to 5th than up to 3rd.

Getting fourth this year - after the departures of king, modric and VDV - will rank as this club's biggest achievement bar the 1961 double.

Well having watched a great deal of the three clubs currently ahead of us in the Table, I really don't think Spurs are that far behind any of them and on our day we're probably able to beat any of the three.

But it's the points amassed against the other 16 clubs which will decide the final positions and I think Spurs have been very consistent this season in picking-up results.

As the title says, the OP is simply making the point that 2nd isn't so ridiculous. I'm sure you'll agree playing ifs and buts as a Spurs fan is a dangerous pass time but if we beat City at WHL then we go two points behind them. It is unlikely we will finish second but by no means impossible.

What counts against us, and why fourth/fifth is almost certainly going to be out final position, is our difficulty in putting enough daylight between teams that are much worse than us. City had an off day yesterday, and we'll have a shock defeat like that or two before the end of the season. But we don't hammer teams as often as we could, and we don't put games to bed meaning we are in danger of games going wrong in the last ten. It also means our squad aren't rotated as comfortably as possible and there's an over reliance on key players notably Bale, Lennon, Dembele.

I think the title race is still far from over, and second will still be a Manchester club. But if we can finish as Londons top club that's reward enough for me. Third is the new first ;)

If Bale gets nobbled, we'll fall away faster than you can say "take one for the team." Won't be surprised to see him being targeted with games against all our 4th-spot rivals coming up. Expect to see plenty of arms being raised in the air in a Paul Scholes sort of, "Oh, dear, didn't mean to mistime that so badly, ref" kind of way.

At this time of the season it's game by game for me, get the 3 points and move to the next. We've not got an easy run in and if were still in the top 4 come 16:50 on the 20th April I'll be happy and dreaming of CL next season with the remaining fixtures. Emirates Marketing Project will get enough points to secure second and Chelsea will take third by a few points over fourth.

This line of thought always gets you into trouble as it sets the team up for failure. We are 4th now and many would consider that we are over achieving with this. Moving the bar even higher, which happened last year with Redknapp, is a bit unfair as the reasons we are not a top 2 team will be enivitably be exposed.

you know what, now that you mention it like that...

i think fudging 2nd is a must. a sacking if we dont get 2nd!!!!! Vive la France

This is like the Mind The Gap thread last year. If I din't know better I would think someone was trolling.

We will have done VERY well to finish 4th come May. 3rd is possible BUT ONLY if Rafa continues to blow hot and cold (not down to us really) but very unlikely.

2nd ...... not even worth considering. Audere est facere and it is better to dream and all that but get a grip please. One of those threads that will come back to bite us on our arses.

At this time of the season it's game by game for me, get the 3 points and move to the next. We've not got an easy run in and if were still in the top 4 come 16:50 on the 20th April I'll be happy and dreaming of CL next season with the remaining fixtures.[./b] Emirates Marketing Project will get enough points to secure second and Chelsea will take third by a few points over fourth.

Absolutely, it's a really tough run of games and we'll be in a great position if we are still 4th at the end of them.

We're not getting anywhere near 2nd.

4th would be a good achievement and beyond what I expected considering who we lost this summer, 3rd would be exceptional and probably down to Benitez continuing to be a macaron.

Back