• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Ok I am gonna explain this in a roundabout way.

BASICALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I am sure we do but because our defenders are so brick at defending set pieces our attackers score when training - so it seems in training that our corners when attacking is marvellous. Unfortunately not the case because other teams defences are better than ours at defending and therefore our attackers are nullified.

GET ITTTTTTT?

Ahhh, this is like a Jim'll Fix It Thread...in that case Please, please, please, Harry.....Play Defoe on Saturday

I am sure we do but because our defenders are so brick at defending set pieces our attackers score when training - so it seems in training that our corners when attacking is marvellous. Unfortunately not the case because other teams defences are better than ours at defending and therefore our attackers are nullified.

GET ITTTTTTT?

:eek:

brick me. A meaningful insight.......you can't make the Euros, can you?

GET ITTTTTTT?

So DHSF, my friend.

What you're saying is; the fact we practice corners actually hinders our in-game set pieces? Are you saying we shouldnt practice them whatsoever?

My GHod, you may be onto something.

No you bozos what im saying is get some good defenders rather than King who cannot train, Dawson a bit injured, Gallas who is always injured. So who the fudge are the attackers attacking the corners against?

5ft rose? BAE? Walker?

It's almost as if opposing teams give a sigh of relief when we win a corner.

This. It's was galling looking at Ferdinand casually booting the ball behind when under little or no pressure last weekend, safe in the knowledge that we would never take advantage of the opportunity. Can't imagine him doing the same against Chelsea, City, or even Stoke. Sigh.

Practice defending corners more like....

Our attacking corners are too sterile. Short corner or Bale flick on. That appears to be it...!

the point is that if they actually made an effort and spent time practicing all types of set pieces, the result will be that both the attackers AND the defenders will sharpen up and be more effective. Look at the teams who are effective at set pieces, they are the ones who rarely concede and also score more than normal from them. Its only natural

It really is a win win situation

Whilst our set pieces are dire, my top request for Harry would be the play our best players in their best positions ALL THE TIME! That means that if we're missing Parker and Bale, the last thing you do is move Modric to LW so that you have 3 of your first choice midfield not playing in their best positions. If Parker and Bale are out then you bring in the next best players in those positions - its simple. Modric should always be Cm and Bale should always be LW for example. If Rafa and Defoe are both playing well then you make a big decision between them rather than show-horning VdV in on the right wing

It was one thing he used to do well when he arrived at Spurs and for some reason he now likes players in random positions

I wouldn't associate Man Utd with headed goals, I guess this is one of the reasons they produce year in year out. Their goals from corners is quite high as well. Who is getting all the headed goals? I'm sure it's not 6 foot + players!

They move and attack the ball; we stand around like ninepins, waiting for it to drop at our feet.

They move and attack the ball; we stand around like ninepins, waiting for it to drop at our feet.

I agree. Even though I think our lack of ability on corners is at least slightly overstated. Rooney did very well for United to get away from Walker and another player (was it Evans) at the same corner made a very good run to get away from his marker. The only player really doing that consistently for us is Bale. Movement, loads of it and at the same time. Seemingly a good idea.

United also do very well at getting players into the box for crosses, again with plenty of simultaneous movement. While we often have only one or two players in the box when our wingers are in good crossing positions.

I wouldn't associate Man Utd with headed goals, I guess this is one of the reasons they produce year in year out. Their goals from corners is quite high as well. Who is getting all the headed goals? I'm sure it's not 6 foot + players!

I suppose that's why Fergie wins so many trophies, as he knows that his current team doesn't have the ability to play teams off the park like a few seasons back so he makes sure that they are well drilled and are dangerous at set pieces.

If Harry and the coaching staff could add that string to our current team' bow (surely Bale, VdV and Modric are capable of whipping in corners with pace and accuracy like Young and Milner :-k) we'd probably be right on City' coattails right now.

Back