• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Eh? Pre-2009, we had an average net spend of 16 million quid a season, if memory serves. With the reported fee being bandied around for Soldado (25.6 million quid), if we do sign him we'll probably hit the 50 million quid mark transfer-fee wise this summer. Now, do you honestly think that we won't be able to raise 34 million quid from the sales of Ade, Hudd, Parker, Gomes, Townsend (possibly) et al, plus the 25 million-odd increase in our TV revenue? We've already reportedly clawed in about 3.5 million quid as a sell-on fee for Dos Santos, so if we do shift all the aforementioned players out, we'll probably raise enough to allow us to use the new TV deal money to cover the rest, which will leave us as stable as we were before this summer. So I'm not at all worried about this deal financially. My only concern is that we can't just buy Soldado and expect him to last the entire season: getting another striker is essential, to ensure we don't end up with Defoe and Dempsey as our two forward options.

its not the transfer fee as such, its paying 25 mill for a 28 year old. Future sell on value issues, its not like Spurs under Levy, thats what African is getting at.

its not the transfer fee as such, its paying 25 mill for a 28 year old. Future sell on value issues, its not like Spurs under Levy, thats what African is getting at.

Yeah, I realised that after I finished monotonously typing. Sorry. :p

Still, again, I don't see why he's worried that much. Sure, at the beginning of ENIC's tenure Levy was very much a sucker for sell-on value, but at some point in the last half decade I think even Levy realised that we can't build an entire squad around their sell-on value: see the transfers of VDV, Pienaar, Ade et al for examples of this. Given the increased TV revenue, then, I see Soldado as essentially a risk-free punt: if he does well, he gives us four-odd years of great services, gets us into the CL and we recoup any loss of income from his low resale price via the CL revenue. If he doesn't do well, struggles for three/four years and then leaves or retires, eh, the TV money will cover the loss.

Either way, we're relatively safe. And given his evident skill, movement and predatory instinct, there's no reason he can't lead the line into his early thirties: after all, his game isn't based on pace or strength, more intelligence and movement. Plus, we need some top-class European and domestic experience in our squad anyway.

Yeah, I realised that after I finished monotonously typing. Sorry. :p

Still, again, I don't see why he's worried that much. Sure, at the beginning of ENIC's tenure Levy was very much a sucker for sell-on value, but at some point in the last half decade I think even Levy realised that we can't build an entire squad around their sell-on value: see the transfers of VDV, Pienaar, Ade et al for examples of this. Given the increased TV revenue, then, I see Soldado as essentially a risk-free punt: if he does well, he gives us four-odd years of great services, gets us into the CL and we recoup any loss of income from his low resale price via the CL revenue. If he doesn't do well, struggles for three/four years and then leaves or retires, eh, the TV money will cover the loss.

Either way, we're relatively safe. And given his evident skill, movement and predatory instinct, there's no reason he can't lead the line into his early thirties: after all, his game isn't based on pace or strength, more intelligence and movement. Plus, we need some top-class European and domestic experience in our squad anyway.

i agree with you, ive said all along that we should be able to afford a gamble on one player of this kind (experienced, top class, expensive transfer fee) We have many bargain signings in the squad/team who were great buys and have all shot up in value.

2 conflicting pronunciations... I'm just a confused as before, hurry up Sky and announce it so we can listen to the proper pronunciation ;)

What the current impasse shows is the total lack of ITK on this forum.
Not one person has come out with anything other than what each and every one of us knows from the press.
The press have been saying for ages that a deal is on the verge of completion, but no-one here seems able to say more than that.
Ditto the Bale situation.
I think it's fair to say no-one here knows what is going on.

What the current impasse shows is the total lack of ITK on this forum.
Not one person has come out with anything other than what each and every one of us knows from the press.
The press have been saying for ages that a deal is on the verge of completion, but no-one here seems able to say more than that.
Ditto the Bale situation.
I think it's fair to say no-one here knows what is going on.

So what?

Point of forums is to discuss.

from the Daily Fail.....

Spurs made an improved bid of £23m for Valencia forward Roberto Soldado over the weekend, with technical director Franco Baldini attempting to clinch the deal. Spurs were offered the 28-year-old for £15m in January but overlooked a player who went on to score 24 goals in La Liga. Soldado, who is rated at £26m, has 11 caps for Spain, scoring six goals.

:eek:

how do we pronounce 'Soldado' is it .... sol-daado or sol-dardo?

List a south american commentator...Soldadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I wouldn't. We need one more player, namely a striker. If Soldado gets injured ( a real possibility considering his slim stature and emphasis on quick turns and movement), we're back to relying on Defoe and Dempsey (assuming Ade will be sold). No, we need a striker to step up if/when that happens, as well as provide a bit of competition for that wing forward position.

Vucinic, Quagliarella, Lisandro Lopez....a cheap(ish) striker, who won't demand constant first team football but at the same time can offer something different to our other two forwards and one semi-forward (Soldado, Defoe, Dempsey). Get one of those in for less than 7-8 million quid and we will definitely be set.

Completely agree re us needing another striker. Although I'd rather see us keep Dempsey than Defoe (simply because he can play wide aswell). Though, I'm not really sure about the players you mention, especially the Juventus players. Quagliarella, for all his flair and skill, is a player with a dubious workrate, and one I think will fail in the PL. Vucinic could be better, but he hasn't set the woorld on fire either the last few years. I won't say it speaks for itself, but it is telling that Juventus has chosen to replace their frontline this summer (they should reconsider playing with 4 at the back against teams playing with wingers as well).

I'm not going to pretend I know all about players in italy, but having watched quite a few games over the last years, i'd say if we are to get someone from there I'd say Destro would still be a decent shot. He didn't have a great season last year, but the one before was brilliant. Muriel would probably be to expencive and Abel Hernandez could be possible. Unfortunately Belfoldil went to Inter (for cash and Cassano!), as he was imo the most impressive striker in Serie A last year (8 in 33 last season, but good movement, strong, etc).

Completely agree re us needing another striker. Although I'd rather see us keep Dempsey than Defoe (simply because he can play wide aswell). Though, I'm not really sure about the players you mention, especially the Juventus players. Quagliarella, for all his flair and skill, is a player with a dubious workrate, and one I think will fail in the PL. Vucinic could be better, but he hasn't set the woorld on fire either the last few years. I won't say it speaks for itself, but it is telling that Juventus has chosen to replace their frontline this summer (they should reconsider playing with 4 at the back against teams playing with wingers as well).

I'm not going to pretend I know all about players in italy, but having watched quite a few games over the last years, i'd say if we are to get someone from there I'd say Destro would still be a decent shot. He didn't have a great season last year, but the one before was brilliant. Muriel would probably be to expencive and Abel Hernandez could be possible. Unfortunately Belfoldil went to Inter (for cash and Cassano!), as he was imo the most impressive striker in Serie A last year (8 in 33 last season, but good movement, strong, etc).

I listed the two Juve strikers because Marotta's said they'd both be available for the right price, which a bunch of Italian football media outlets have reported as being somewhere between 6 to 8 million euros. So, like I said, cheap, and moderately effective. Plus, I don't think they'd demand first-team football every week, unlike some of the other names you mention (Hernandez and Destro, for example).

I listed the two Juve strikers because Marotta's said they'd both be available for the right price, which a bunch of Italian football media outlets have reported as being somewhere between 6 to 8 million euros. So, like I said, cheap, and moderately effective. Plus, I don't think they'd demand first-team football every week, unlike some of the other names you mention (Hernandez and Destro, for example).

Well, Destro was defacto third choice for Roma last year, so offering him to compete with just one other might be enough, and Hernandez have played on average 19 games a season for the last 4 years. But, joking aside, I just mentioned them because they'll (imo) fit better than Vucinic (although he might prosper as a lone striker) or Quagliarella (brilliant to watch, dubious work rate). We're probably going to play around 60 games next year, thus a player like Destro or Hernandez will probably get around 30 as a second choice striker. Especially Hernandez would be a gamble (he scored 1 in 14 i seria last year), but they could also be bargains.

Not that I think we will buy any of them (or Quagliarella).

Add another 48hrs to the original 48 hrs

if after that he still hasn't signed we upgrade to defcon 5 level RAWK style meltdown baby!!!!!

But is it neccesarily a bad thing to pay that much money for a player in his prime? Obviously it is more of a gamble than buying a younger player, but Soldado is still "only" 28. We can expect three-four, maybe more seasons from him. If he becomes a 20+ goals a season striker for us for the next three seasons, then surely he will be worth the money? If his goals contribute to us getting into the CL next year, that's his transfer fee paid for already.

It's a bit of a gamble, but not a massive gamble, IMO. We need a quality striker that scores goals regularly, but they cost money.

Perhaps they now view it as spending 25-30% of what we get for Bale so its not costing the club anything and resale value doesn't come in to it anymore.

Back