• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Quickest way to lose weight?

Here's the problem I think many people have, they think certain meals are inherantly unhealthy. In reality if you choose the right food and cooking methods, things like english breakfasts and burgers aren't actually that abd for you if you use good quality ingredients

True, as long as you use common sense.

An English breakfast for breakfast before a day of work is a decent meal, especially if your work doesn't involve sitting at a desk all day. Throw in a kipper to get your omega-3 (;)). However, its not a good meal if you eat late at night just before going to sleep (a fry up when you get back from the pub is not a good diet). Its not that the calories are different, but what happens to them. If you don't use them more will be stored as fat and the following day you will feel hungry before using these stored calories, making it hard to resist eating more because you are hungry.

Deep fried food needn't be very fatty if done well. With the right batter/breading and oil at the right temperature the crust will become crisp and seal the food and most of the excess fat can be drained away. If you cook it more slowly the seal doesn't form properly and more fat soaks into the food.

I realized something recently with fried eggs. I cook them with little oil on a non-stick pan. When I make an omelette I use more oil and add cheese and stuff as well. The fried egg is lower calorie ... or is until I add the bacon and fried bread to soak up all the bacon fat.

This is a good read if you want to do some light reading on cholesterol and fats good & bad.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/

What about cholesterol in food? For most people, the mix of fats in the diet influences cholesterol in the bloodstream far more than cholesterol in food does.

I've been telling people this for years. Its not the cholesterol you eat as you synthesize most of it yourself. This is the first time I've seen it stated in an authoritative source.

How about some numbers, chaps

Few months ago, at our annual check-up mine stood at

- Choesterol - 3.8
- Blood Sugar - 4.9
- Blood Pressure - 136/78
- Abdomen circumference - 95
- Height - 196

Mate of mine (late 20s) had a cholesterol of 8.9! (boundary is around 6 btw)

I'd suggest most of you have one of those done (down here any pharmacy offers that service and often for free) - takes 5 minutes and is very useful to have

Last edited:
Very good link, mate - karma point for you.

Cheers buddy, it's a good link and I think more people need to read things like this. My fiancee's family are near certain that choosing an atkins diet caused her dad to develop diabetes. He didn't actually need to go on a diet in the first place, just like many getting caught up in the fad of the time.

What about cholesterol in food? For most people, the mix of fats in the diet influences cholesterol in the bloodstream far more than cholesterol in food does.

I've been telling people this for years. Its not the cholesterol you eat as you synthesize most of it yourself. This is the first time I've seen it stated in an authoritative source.
2/3 of blood cholesterol is produced by the body, so I believe (without reading the article).

2/3 of blood cholesterol is produced by the body, so I believe (without reading the article).

Well, it doesn't manufacture it as such (i.e. it doesn't just happen out of thin air), cholesterol is created from the foods we eat, rather than direct cholesterol intake. You should read the piece, it's about controlling your fat intake and increasing the amount of beneficial fats you eat, rather than replacing your fat intake with carbs and sugars etc.

As a crude laymans; good fats are unsaturated fats and promote the synthesis of HDL (good) cholesterol; bad fats are saturated fats including trans fats that we've all seen on programs like Panorama and these promote the synthesis of LDL (bad) cholesterol; "Bad" cholesterol carries food energy around the body, but it is also what causes blockages in the arteries that lead to heart disease. "Good" cholesterol actually helps to remove these blockages in your arteries and helps to actually decrease your risk of heart disease, helps regulate your blood pressure etc.

So eating sources of unsaturated fats, like nuts and fatty fish and introducing good quality olive oil to your diet can actually help immeasurably with things like high blood pressure, preventing diabetes, preventing heart disease, as long as they are not being eaten in addition to high levels of saturated fats, sugars and refined carbohydrates. They should be in place of, not in addition to.

Well, it doesn't manufacture it as such (i.e. it doesn't just happen out of thin air), cholesterol is created from the foods we eat, rather than direct cholesterol intake. You should read the piece, it's about controlling your fat intake and increasing the amount of beneficial fats you eat, rather than replacing your fat intake with carbs and sugars etc.

As a crude laymans; good fats are unsaturated fats and promote the synthesis of HDL (good) cholesterol; bad fats are saturated fats including trans fats that we've all seen on programs like Panorama and these promote the synthesis of LDL (bad) cholesterol; "Bad" cholesterol carries food energy around the body, but it is also what causes blockages in the arteries that lead to heart disease. "Good" cholesterol actually helps to remove these blockages in your arteries and helps to actually decrease your risk of heart disease, helps regulate your blood pressure etc.

So eating sources of unsaturated fats, like nuts and fatty fish and introducing good quality olive oil to your diet can actually help immeasurably with things like high blood pressure, preventing diabetes, preventing heart disease, as long as they are not being eaten in addition to high levels of saturated fats, sugars and refined carbohydrates. They should be in place of, not in addition to.

Well no nutrient is created out of thin air (except by plants). Cholesterol can be synthesised from the simplest molecules in food (e.g. sugar) so you don't need any particular diet to make your own cholesterol. If you ate none in the diet (impossible) you could synthesize enough yourself. But aren't you and PLJ both saying this?

Otherwise, an excellent summary.

So if I fry a chicken breast add some jack daniels sauce, that is bad or good? as long as I use good oil???

Here's something I'm going to be trying to follow closely;

http://eattheseasons.co.uk/whyeattheseasons.htm

Given the age of austerity, I think it is a very good time to buy in local.

JTS I'm reading up, but need my epsom salts and H2o2 bath tonight to recover from the gig yesterday :)

Why not start with that Harvard public health site mentioned earlier by Wookie. It has the reasons why omega-3 fats are good, without all the mythical baggage that so often surrounds discussion of them.

Why not start with that Harvard public health site mentioned earlier by Wookie. It has the reasons why omega-3 fats are good, without all the mythical baggage that so often surrounds discussion of them.

Just having a brief peruse in my lunch hour.

So, from that article, which you are in full support of, and suggest I read;

"Good Fats

Unsaturated fats are called good fats because they can improve blood cholesterol levels, ease inflammation"

Oh dear...

Just having a brief peruse in my lunch hour.

So, from that article, which you are in full support of, and suggest I read;

"Good Fats

Unsaturated fats are called good fats because they can improve blood cholesterol levels, ease inflammation"

Oh dear...

Oh dear what? Inflammation of the arteries is caused by the build up of cholestrol in the artery wall, eventually turning into plaque. By increasing the levels of HDL in the blood and decreasing the levels of LDL in the blood, this build up can be reduced and arterial wall inflammation reduced accordingly. What is difficult to understand about that?

Oh dear what? Inflammation of the arteries is caused by the build up of cholestrol in the artery wall, eventually turning into plaque. By increasing the levels of HDL in the blood and decreasing the levels of LDL in the blood, this build up can be reduced and arterial wall inflammation reduced accordingly. What is difficult to understand about that?

Nothing difficult to understand, what is a key trigger to increase HDL and decrease LDL? Good Oils, such as... Omega3.

Now to draw this out to inflammation in regards to psoriasis;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22649206

Psoriasis, a chronic inflammatory skin disease, has been linked to increased myocardial infarction and stroke. Functional impairment of HDL may contribute to the excess cardiovascular mortality of psoriatic patients. However, data available regarding the impact of psoriasis on HDL composition and function are limited. HDL from psoriasis patients and healthy controls was isolated by ultracentrifugation and shotgun proteomics, and biochemical methods were used to monitor changed HDL composition. We observed a significant reduction in apoA-I levels of HDL from psoriatic patients, whereas levels of apoA-II and proteins involved in acute-phase response, immune response, and endopeptidase/protease inhibition were increased. Psoriatic HDL contained reduced phospholipid and cholesterol. With regard to function, these compositional alterations impaired the ability of psoriatic HDL to promote cholesterol efflux from macrophages. Importantly, HDL-cholesterol efflux capability negatively correlated with psoriasis area and severity index. We observed that control HDL, as well as psoriatic HDL, inhibited dihydrorhodamine (DHR) oxidation to a similar extent, suggesting that the anti-oxidative activity of psoriatic HDL is not significantly altered. Our observations suggest that the compositional alterations observed in psoriatic HDL reflect a shift to a pro-inflammatory profile that impairs cholesterol efflux capacity of HDL and may provide a link between psoriasis and cardiovascular disease.

Simples.

Nothing difficult to understand, what is a key trigger to increase HDL and decrease LDL? Good Oils, such as... Omega3.

Now to draw this out to inflammation in regards to psoriasis;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22649206

Psoriasis, a chronic inflammatory skin disease, has been linked to increased myocardial infarction and stroke. Functional impairment of HDL may contribute to the excess cardiovascular mortality of psoriatic patients. However, data available regarding the impact of psoriasis on HDL composition and function are limited. HDL from psoriasis patients and healthy controls was isolated by ultracentrifugation and shotgun proteomics, and biochemical methods were used to monitor changed HDL composition. We observed a significant reduction in apoA-I levels of HDL from psoriatic patients, whereas levels of apoA-II and proteins involved in acute-phase response, immune response, and endopeptidase/protease inhibition were increased. Psoriatic HDL contained reduced phospholipid and cholesterol. With regard to function, these compositional alterations impaired the ability of psoriatic HDL to promote cholesterol efflux from macrophages. Importantly, HDL-cholesterol efflux capability negatively correlated with psoriasis area and severity index. We observed that control HDL, as well as psoriatic HDL, inhibited dihydrorhodamine (DHR) oxidation to a similar extent, suggesting that the anti-oxidative activity of psoriatic HDL is not significantly altered. Our observations suggest that the compositional alterations observed in psoriatic HDL reflect a shift to a pro-inflammatory profile that impairs cholesterol efflux capacity of HDL and may provide a link between psoriasis and cardiovascular disease.

Simples.

Simples what?!

That abstract is relating to the changed HDL composition from psoriasis sufferers causing inflammation! Seriously, I am actually starting to think that a lot of the wisdom you are keen to impart is very dangerous as you often state it as fact.

It isn't good enough that you are happy to then go back and do background reading that someone knowledgeable like JTS is willing to point in your direction, you shouldn't be giving what come across as verbose and authoratative opinions on things without having a better foundation.

I think that /or in my personal opinion should be tagged onto a lot of your posts mate, I honestly think.

Our observations suggest that the compositional alterations observed in psoriatic HDL reflect a shift to a pro-inflammatory profile

Shift meaning change, yes.

Your Post said:
Psoriatic HDL contained reduced phospholipid and cholesterol. With regard to function, these compositional alterations impaired the ability of psoriatic HDL to promote cholesterol efflux from macrophages.

Reverse cholesterol transport and cholesterol efflux in atherosclerosis

Reverse cholesterol transport (RCT) is a pathway by which accumulated cholesterol is transported from the vessel wall to the liver for excretion, thus preventing atherosclerosis....

....A critical part of RCT is cholesterol efflux, in which accumulated cholesterol is removed from macrophages in the subintima of the vessel wall by ATP-binding membrane cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) or by other mechanisms, including passive diffusion, scavenger receptor B1 (SR-B1), caveolins and sterol 27-hydroxylase, and collected by HDL and apoA-I.

Back