• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Pints and pretty girls: my week with the March to Leave
Nigel Farage
30 March 2019 9:00 AM
GettyImages-1137768728.jpg

(Photo: Getty)

• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Whatsapp
I’m famed for my mustard cords. Back in 2013, the press mockingly dubbed my campaign trips around the country in a purple London taxi the ‘Mustard Trouser Express’. Photographers everywhere still cry, ‘Nigel, when do we go to the pub?’ They want that ‘pint shot’ of course, and they always know they are on to something when they get to see a little flash of yellow-clad corrugated calf.

I’ve helped organise a March to Leave, which will arrive in Parliament Square this Friday, the day Britain was meant to leave the EU. The march — which travelled from Sunderland — has been the perfect opportunity to wear the trusty corduroys once again. Unfortunately, the snappers were in for a let-down when they arrived in the north-east. Along the heritage coast, it rained every step of the way, and I was swathed in the longest of South Shields’s finest ankle-length, waxed cotton jackets. It keeps off the worst British weather, as it does the worst protests from Remain supporters, who bleat about ‘sticking Brexit up your Farage’. Their yelps were drowned out by the good cheer of our marchers.

I did find time for a pint, away from Fleet Street’s finest, who had dissolved into Durham drizzle. I snuck off for a sharpener as the march wound through Easington Colliery. The 20-mile trek was beginning to take it out of my shins. Thanks to a car accident in my twenties, they look as if they were moulded by Henry Moore and can smart a bit. I slotted back into the walk after my pint and continued on to Hartlepool. I’d given my word and there could be no slacking.

It isn’t just Theresa May who goes hill-walking. I do mine in England and spend my time thinking about how I can help bring our country its freedom. She spends her time wandering across the Swiss Alps, dreaming up ways to give her country away. I’ve met some great people on this march. A week into the event, as we walked from Mansfield, I was delighted to chat to the Grant sisters, Bea and Alice. They are first-time voters and committed Brexiteers. To the horror of many, they also happen to be bright, pretty girls. Yes, intelligent young women do support Brexit. The Remain side don’t have complete ownership of Britain’s youth. Journalists have been trying to find out more about their identity. There have been claims made that these girls are hired Russian models, that they’re ringers, only turning up at Leave events because someone is paying them. Though flattering, the truth is far more prosaic. They are just ordinary young women excited by the prospect of a free UK. They are an inspiration to me; it’s their future that I’m working for.

After the referendum, I retired from active party politics, saying I wanted my life back. And I’ve had a great deal of fun since. Better still, I no longer have to resolve arguments between association chairmen and branch secretaries over how to fold the napkins at their work Christmas dinners and so on. But I’ve watched in dismay as Ukip, the machine that won the last European elections and scared the legacy parties into offering the British people a referendum, has descended into a bunker of its own making. By focusing on radical Islam, it has restricted its ability to get the votes needed to keep Westminster honest.

So, with some reluctance, I’m strapping on the breastplate again and am going to lead the Brexit party. It is very odd, though, to be involved in a party whose sole desire is not to exist. If Westminster took instructions from the people of this country, rather than those around the Rond-Point Schuman in Brussels, we wouldn’t need to reform. Since we launched, we’ve had a huge range of impressive people getting in touch: Greens, Labour, Tories — all wanting a free, democratic UK. We don’t want to fight another battle, but if we have to, we’ve got the heart, we’ve got the people and we’ll have the money too. And this time, it’s no more Mr Nice Guy.

When I caught the Eurostar to Brussels last week to witness the national embarrassment that unfolded, a gentleman introduced himself. He was a very senior representative from the pharmaceutical industry in Europe. He said he and his industry largely supported Remain, but (and this view is much more common than Westminster-watchers would have you believe), the vote happened and Leave won. I asked whether his industry was prepared for no deal. ‘Yes,’ he answered. Business is mostly ready; it’s what business does. It’s only Westminster that is unprepared.

At the summit, nobody could believe Theresa May was really our Prime Minister. In the bars afterwards, journalists from across Europe joked with me, asking if she was the best we’ve got. A national humiliation has become an international one.

MOST POPULAR

The Spectator, 22 Old Queen Street, London, SW1H 9HP

Wow defeated again but by less, what a bunch of inept politicians we have. Literally rejected every single option and most of them 2 or 3 times.

Might as well have a general election now, I don't see much else solving this.

look at the latest lies coming from the government, a load of nonsense about European Parliament elections but we all know they don't have elections as they are an antidemocratic demon worshipping cult*

*and they like clean beaches

If you were a tory brexiteer, would you want May negotiating the next stage of the process?

I wouldn't trust any of them tbh.
Johnson - enough said, leave it there.
Mogg - while intelligent, there is something decidedly slimy about him.
Gove - can't see the frog prince being much better than May.

Per my location, I'd prefer the whole thing to fall flat on its ass and we stay in the EU (or at least the freedom of movement is retained) for obviously selfish reasons.
But it is what it is now, I just want them to make the bloody minds up so I and the other millions not in Blighty know just how we will be affected.

Wow defeated again but by less, what a bunch of inept politicians we have. Literally rejected every single option and most of them 2 or 3 times.

Might as well have a general election now, I don't see much else solving this.
How would a GE solve it? The same MPs will still ignore their constituents and still be split over what they want.

Even if each party were capable of whipping their own MPs (and they're not) then there's still not a party that would have anything like a majority.

Please may I ask a question. I’ve forgotten how the conversation about a possible Brexit started (pre-vote and Cameron calling a referendum).

Can someone please give a non-biased account as I’m trying to explain it to an overseas friend and it was so long ago....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Whilst PM Cameron's motives for calling the referendum were obviously for the well being of the Conservative Party, I don't recall to many dissenting voices from the Labour opposition and other political parties for that matter bar the SNP.

The political establishment saw the rising popularity of UKIP as something that would have to be dealt with sooner rather than later and were in a "I need TP for my bunghole" mode!

Within a couple of weeks of winning the 2015 election...The wheels were set in motion for the the 2016 EU Referendum.

From Wiki:........The bill was introduced to the House of Commons by Philip Hammond, Foreign Secretary on 28 May 2015.[3] Two weeks later, the second reading of the Act was supported by MPs from all parties expect the SNP;[4] the Act subsequently passed on its third reading in the Commons on 7 September 2015[5] and was approved by the House of Lords on 14 December 2015,[6] and given Royal Assent on 17 December 2015 and came partly into force on the same day and came into full legal force on 1 February 2016.

Parliament ( all the parties bar the SNP), the Lords and the parliamentarian elite from years gone by ( Heseltine, Major, Blair, Clegg etc) were all happy to deliver a crushing blow to the rising anti EU sentiment through a referendum, a referendum they felt Remain were so sure to win as they had the advantages of the civil service apparatus barred from working for the Leave politicians and of course, the usage of £9m of tax payers monies.

how about offering a public vote with an option to remain?

I have explained this before but I don't agree with it - what would the question be, what happens if it's 51-49 remain, what happens if it's 52-48 to remain but with a lower turnout. No one can provide a comprehensive answer to these questions without putting forward something that splits the leave vote.

I don't really support it but the old referendum that would make sense would be one where the only options are variants of leave. I don't know why anyone hasn't suggested that actually. Probably because those that want a referendum want the result to be remain.

I have explained this before but I don't agree with it - what would the question be, what happens if it's 51-49 remain, what happens if it's 52-48 to remain but with a lower turnout. No one can provide a comprehensive answer to these questions without putting forward something that splits the leave vote.

I don't really support it but the old referendum that would make sense would be one where the only options are variants of leave. I don't know why anyone hasn't suggested that actually. Probably because those that want a referendum want the result to be remain.

It may well lead to more questions but at least its an accurate picture of where we stand, as opposed to basing things on a 3 year old vote where many have admitted to arsing around or thinking they were going to get 350m a week for the NHS.

If the country is truly split, then does it not make more sense to split the country than drag half the people into something they don't want. Maybe drastic division requires drastic action, submitting A50 without any forethought has put us into this hole, a long extension or revoking and asking the question another day, with full facts up front would benefit the largest group of people.

Yes, I think another referendum would result in a strong remain vote, and that would obviously be my preference, but I think an argument can be made that the majority of people in government against it are those who think they have got away with something.

This would have been a good (voting on the variants of leave) a few months after the initial vote was made...then could have spent 2 years planning it.

I personally hope we just leave with no deal -- sadly it can only happen now due to incompetence -- but imo the EU will suddenly be keener to negotiate things once it benefits them too.

It may well lead to more questions but at least its an accurate picture of where we stand, as opposed to basing things on a 3 year old vote where many have admitted to arsing around or thinking they were going to get 350m a week for the NHS.

If the country is truly split, then does it not make more sense to split the country than drag half the people into something they don't want. Maybe drastic division requires drastic action, submitting A50 without any forethought has put us into this hole, a long extension or revoking and asking the question another day, with full facts up front would benefit the largest group of people.

Yes, I think another referendum would result in a strong remain vote, and that would obviously be my preference, but I think an argument can be made that the majority of people in government against it are those who think they have got away with something.

But everyone knew at the time of the referendum that it would take 2.5/3 years for the process to get to it's conclusion - Article 50 has 2 years then some planning was needed before then and I don't recall anyone bringing that up at the time that we'd need another referendum. Corbyn wanted Article 50 triggered immediately I recall.

Alternative vote is an easy way around splitting the leave vote

But everyone knew at the time of the referendum that it would take 2.5/3 years for the process to get to it's conclusion - Article 50 has 2 years then some planning was needed before then and I don't recall anyone bringing that up at the time that we'd need another referendum. Corbyn wanted Article 50 triggered immediately I recall.

there was nothing stopping the govt getting a parliamentary consensus (with protections for the GFA) before triggering article 50 and negotiating a withdrawal agreement*

Corbyn is on the list of those who knew they had got away with something

*other than incompetence of course

Lots of people at the time said that it should be a multi party negotiations rather than just government, which meant no need for a second referendum. Government didn't think they needed parliamentary consensus.

Lots of people at the time said there was no consensus on what leave meant.

Back