• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

EU governments and MEPs agreed on 30 new safety standards for cars, vans and trucks. The bill is set to be rubber stamped in a forthcoming vote of the European Parliament. "The Commission wanted to make it compulsory that the car wouldautomatically slow down to observe speed limits but we have secured a compromise where the system merely has to alert the driver that he or she is speeding," said Daniel Dalton, the Tory MEP for the West Midlands.

Yeah can believe that. Where's the fun, used to love driving, then I got a job doing over 2000 miles per week in a flatbed Ford with roads crammed with idiots, hate it now.
No fun, too many idiots and bad drivers.
Drove from Glasgow to London, Amsterdam, Berlin, dusseldorf and back last summer. Seen more crashes on the mway to the chunnel than across the rest of the drive.

I got to your stage about 20 years ago. Drove up from Valencia back to the tunnel from a holiday trip and the roads were wonderful and one could go 'with reason' a fast as you like, cruising in my then brand new 5 series around 120mph when inclined, it was wonderful. We got to the bloody tunnel and on to M20 and it was like a nightmare! A permanent never-ending slow moving cue of bloody traffic all way round the M25. That's when driving died for me.

EU governments and MEPs agreed on 30 new safety standards for cars, vans and trucks. The bill is set to be rubber stamped in a forthcoming vote of the European Parliament. "The Commission wanted to make it compulsory that the car would automatically slow down to observe speed limits but we have secured a compromise where the system merely has to alert the driver that he or she is speeding," said Daniel Dalton, the Tory MEP for the West Midlands.

Bloody hell!
Why not have it a switchable option?
Useful when one forgets one is in 'bandit country' like the bloody M23!!! The OB is evil around there.

I can imagine if you're an Amerifat or a Wife-beating, brick lager drinking Aussie and all that matters is how quickly you can drive a quarter mile, they're great cars.

For us more cultured Europeans who value a car's ability to corner, not so much.

He commutes from Esher to West Mid hospital most days and trains it to London the rest. The only cornering the thing does is on the Hampton Court roundabout. With a journey top speed of 25mph on a good day! Its why I would buy the little BMW battery thing if they were cheaper.

Of course you do Pob, you beleive.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...order-could-face-wto-legal-threat-gove-brexit

The environment secretary told MPs that “legal advice has been sought and it is certainly the case that other countries could have an arguable case at WTO” over a zero-tariff plan for Ireland.

But he said the political needs outweighed those concerns. “We believe there are specific exemptions because of the broader political and security situation in Northern Ireland underpinning the Good Friday agreement, which mean that we can be allowed to do everything that we can.

MPs approve the business motion by 331 to 287, and will now start the main debate on Brexit options.

Speaker John Bercow announces that he has selected the following eight choices:

No Deal (B) – John Baron (Conservative)

Agrees to leave the EU on 12 April without a deal.

Common market 2.0 (D) – Nick Boles (Conservative)

Government joins the European Economic Area (EEA) through the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and negotiates a temporary customs union until alternative arrangements can be found.

EFTA and EEA (H) – George Eustice (Conservative)

Remains in the European Economic Area (EEA), and applies to re-join the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

Declines to form a customs union but seeks “agreement on new protocols relating to the Northern Ireland border and agri-food trade”.

Customs union (J) – Ken Clarke (Conservative)

Enshrine the objective to form a customs union in primary legislation.

Labour’s alternative plan (K) – Jeremy Corbyn

Negotiate changes to the withdrawal agreement and the political declaration to secure Labour’s position, and pass these objectives into law.

Revocation to avoid no deal (L) – Joanna Cherry (SNP)

If the Withdrawal (Agreement) Bill has not been passed before exit day, the government will ask MPs to approve no deal. If this does not pass, the government will revoke Article 50.

Confirmatory public vote (M) – Margaret Beckett (Labour)

Government cannot implement or ratify the withdrawal agreement and the political declaration unless and until they have been approved in a referendum.

Contingent preferential arrangements (O) – Marcus Fysh (Conservative)

Malthouse Plan B: The UK makes its budgetary contributions to the EU to the end of 2020 and agrees with the EU a period of two years in which UK goods have full access to the EU.

The public disagreed. As I've said before, if you're advocating only allowing votes to those who can thoroughly understand the issues at hand, I'm with you.

If you're only advocating it when you don't like the outcome then I can't support that opinion.

I think that is the remain issue in the whole really. They just dont like that people vote a different way to them, odd coming from a group of people who usually label themselves as liberal thinkers.

MPs approve the business motion by 331 to 287, and will now start the main debate on Brexit options.

Speaker John Bercow announces that he has selected the following eight choices:

No Deal (B) – John Baron (Conservative)

Agrees to leave the EU on 12 April without a deal.

Common market 2.0 (D) – Nick Boles (Conservative)

Government joins the European Economic Area (EEA) through the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and negotiates a temporary customs union until alternative arrangements can be found.

EFTA and EEA (H) – George Eustice (Conservative)

Remains in the European Economic Area (EEA), and applies to re-join the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

Declines to form a customs union but seeks “agreement on new protocols relating to the Northern Ireland border and agri-food trade”.

Customs union (J) – Ken Clarke (Conservative)

Enshrine the objective to form a customs union in primary legislation.

Negotiate changes to the withdrawal agreement and the political declaration to secure Labour’s position, and pass these objectives into law.

Revocation to avoid no deal (L) – Joanna Cherry (SNP)

If the Withdrawal (Agreement) Bill has not been passed before exit day, the government will ask MPs to approve no deal. If this does not pass, the government will revoke Article 50.

Confirmatory public vote (M) – Margaret Beckett (Labour)

Government cannot implement or ratify the withdrawal agreement and the political declaration unless and until they have been approved in a referendum.

Contingent preferential arrangements (O) – Marcus Fysh (Conservative)

Malthouse Plan B: The UK makes its budgetary contributions to the EU to the end of 2020 and agrees with the EU a period of two years in which UK goods have full access to the EU.

lol at K

I thought I'd heard Labour were happy with the WA, and wanted changes to the PD only?

Even if I've got that wrong, has he not been paying attention to the EU's dictates about this since last November...?

May will do anything for a Dairylea eu slice-off. Even resign. She seems determined to get her deal through above all else. A fixation?

So that's it then, done and dusted we get her deal. Everyone will change tune and vote for it now the silly bint has said she will resign?

Back