• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

In the long term it will probably move to being GPS based rather than relying on signage, taking away the control from the driver.
Does sound dangerous to me, acceleration is an important tool for avoiding a crash sometimes.
you can override it by putting your foot down hard.

The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

Actually sounds quite dangerous to me. Temporarily having a bit of grunt, then what? Revs just drop out?

The article does also say itll have an off switch. Wont be long, IMO, before thats a one button operation and nobody uses the system at all.

The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

Actually sounds quite dangerous to me. Temporarily having a bit of grunt, then what? Revs just drop out?

The article does also say itll have an off switch. Wont be long, IMO, before thats a one button operation and nobody uses the system at all.
Can imagine if you have a crash with it off insurance will have a feild day

I don't have a particularly fast car, but if I put my foot down hard at 30 I'll wheelspin and be at 60 within 2 seconds.

Not that that particularly bothers me, but I don't think it would be safe for the majority of people I see driving.

I imagine it will be like stop/start engine, nothing but a political get out.
It's there but few will use it.

I imagine it will be like stop/start engine, nothing but a political get out.
It's there but few will use it.
That's a fudging pain in the arse too though. I also think it creates a dangerous mindset that in order to turn off the annoyance, one has to put the car into sport or track mode as the first action when starting the car.

That's a fudging pain in the arse too though. I also think it creates a dangerous mindset that in order to turn off the annoyance, one has to put the car into sport or track mode as the first action when starting the car.

It is a pain, but it's a habit. As soon as I leave my driveway I turn it off. There's too many junctions that in rush hour it's too much of a gamble, there's so little time to get out.

It is a pain, but it's a habit. As soon as I leave my driveway I turn it off. There's too many junctions that in rush hour it's too much of a gamble, there's so little time to get out.
I don't know if your car just has a button to turn it off, but in mine I have to be in sport or track mode to do so. I don't think the intended consequence of that law was for people to be driving around with their exhausts at full, unencumbered volume, with higher gearshifts and an engine map that burns through fuel and tyres with equal disregard to all the polar bears.

And I agree, there's no fudging way I'm waiting for the engine to start before moving away from the lights - I'd get crowded out of every junction at that rate.

And that is exactly why I don't drive:D

I have to drive to get around (disability) and have been doing so since 1969 all over Europe. Luckily I was cured of the speed fast car thing, as I had a friend who ran a track day/driving school at Goodwood back in the day. I also mixed with some stupid city kids supercar owners with my job.... most luckily lived to sell them after "the incident" usually on a nondescript rainy day. These supercars are stupid in town with all the potholes speed bumps etc. Had a very very slow drive in a two day old Ferrari ??. The owner was so nervous we never got to 15 mph. Which was lucky as a scaffolding pole swung off the back of a lorry as we were creeping through Twickenham.

I don't know if your car just has a button to turn it off, but in mine I have to be in sport or track mode to do so. I don't think the intended consequence of that law was for people to be driving around with their exhausts at full, unencumbered volume, with higher gearshifts and an engine map that burns through fuel and tyres with equal disregard to all the polar bears.

And I agree, there's no fudging way I'm waiting for the engine to start before moving away from the lights - I'd get crowded out of every junction at that rate.

It's a passat I've got, it's the third one I've had with stop/start. It's just a dash button next gear lever.
Put it into drive, and press the button to turn it off and away I go. It's my routine, there's an eco gear box mode where I can't turn it off. I never use that, it's a VW, who would trust it :rolleyes:.

It's a passat I've got, it's the third one I've had with stop/start. It's just a dash button next gear lever.
Put it into drive, and press the button to turn it off and away I go. It's my routine, there's an eco gear box mode where I can't turn it off. I never use that, it's a VW, who would trust it :rolleyes:.

My doctor has a Tesler he says he spends more time turning things off than driving it. Goes like stink from 0 -70 .

My doctor has a Tesler he says he spends more time turning things off than driving it. Goes like stink from 0 -70 .
Yeah can believe that. Where's the fun, used to love driving, then I got a job doing over 2000 miles per week in a flatbed Ford with roads crammed with idiots, hate it now.
No fun, too many idiots and bad drivers.
Drove from Glasgow to London, Amsterdam, Berlin, dusseldorf and back last summer. Seen more crashes on the mway to the chunnel than across the rest of the drive.

I can imagine if you're an Amerifat or a Wife-beating, brick lager drinking Aussie and all that matters is how quickly you can drive a quarter mile, they're great cars.

For us more cultured Europeans who value a car's ability to corner, not so much.

Back