• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

On the money. I am tired of it. Very very fudging tired of it everywhere. Today, I feel as though my capacity for reasoned and polite debate has been diminished to a stray degree.

I’m with you man. I keep hearing and reading this from Black people especially at the moment but it’s also something other POC experience. Just so tired.

What is interesting is how Abbott and Lammy are judged on here.

There are many many dynamics at play, not least them being Labour, with the 'Tory Team' on here having a natural disposition against them. That said, 'soft prejudice' is worth exploring. Where people are not consciously racist, but never the less make subconscious pre-judgements about people. We all do it. For example, CVs arrive on people's desks and the white-sounding name wins an interview over the ethnic-sounding one. The person making that call is in no way a BNP supporter. Would be happy for their kids to marry a black person. But there is implicit pre-judgment and stereotyping taking place. The thing that makes stereotyping so pervasive and strong is that there is a kernel of truth to them. For example ethnic names are more likely to get you an applicant who's not as well educated or fluent in English etc. But what is the upshot? The English born, degree educated black guy or girl are discriminated against becuase of pre-judgments.

Lammy is out to 'shore up his vote'...while he has one of the safest seats in London. 'Lammy is trying to sow racial division'. 'Lammy is a racist'. These are not light accusations. None of these statements are backed up with any evidence.

Ultimately, I am consoled that those who throw these accusations (pre-judgments in the main as there is no evidence) are pro Tory. But it is a soft subconscious prejudice that I would be most frustrated with as a black man. An inherent, highly subtle, almost undetectable handicap to much of what you do.

Lammy and Abbott may not be the most consummate politicians, but they seem to get a disproportionate amount of stick. Which is fair enough if it is backed up and fair, but if it drifts into lazy pre-judgments that don't stack up when scrutinised that doesn't look too good.

Last edited:

There are many many dynamics at play, not least them being Labour, with the 'Tory Team' on here having a natural disposition against them. That said, 'soft prejudices' are interesting. Where people are not consciously racist, but never the less make subconscious pre-judgements about people. We all do it. CVs arrive on people's desks and they the white-sounding name wins over the ethic one. The person making that call is not a BNP supporter. It's an implicit pre-judgment and stereotyping. The thing that makes stereotyping so pervasive is that there is a kernel of truth to them. For example ethnic names are more likely to get you an applicant who's not as well educated or fluent in English etc. But what is the upshot? The English born, degree educated black guy or girl are discriminated against becuase of pre-judgments.

Lammy is out to 'shore up his vote'...while he has one of the safest seats in London. 'Lammy is trying to sow racial division'. 'Lammy is a racist'. These are not light accusations. None of these statements are backed up with any evidence.

Ultimately, I am consoled that those who throw these accusations (pre-judgments in the main as there is no evidence) are pro Tory. But the interesting thing is, it is the soft kind of subconscious prejudge that I would be most frustrated with as a black man. It's an inherent, highly subtle, almost undetectable handicap to much of what you do.

Lammy and Abbott may not be the most consummate politicians, but they seem to get a disproportionate amount of stick. Which is fair enough if it is backed up and fair, but if it drifts into lazy pre-judgments that don't stack up when scrutinised that doesn't look too good.

So therefore you can’t judge their political performance because they are black? Then there it is, the perfect Impenetrable defence. JEEZ

There are many many dynamics at play, not least them being Labour, with the 'Tory Team' on here having a natural disposition against them. That said, 'soft prejudice' is worth exploring. Where people are not consciously racist, but never the less make subconscious pre-judgements about people. We all do it. For example, CVs arrive on people's desks and the white-sounding name wins an interview over the ethnic-sounding one. The person making that call is in no way a BNP supporter. Would be happy for their kids to marry a black person. But there is implicit pre-judgment and stereotyping taking place. The thing that makes stereotyping so pervasive and strong is that there is a kernel of truth to them. For example ethnic names are more likely to get you an applicant who's not as well educated or fluent in English etc. But what is the upshot? The English born, degree educated black guy or girl are discriminated against becuase of pre-judgments.

Ultimately, I am consoled that those who throw these accusations (pre-judgments in the main as there is no evidence) are pro Tory. But it is a soft subconscious prejudice that I would be most frustrated with as a black man. An inherent, highly subtle, almost undetectable handicap to much of what you do.

Lammy was always ok but now wants to push us profile more and is using certain issues, but he at least he does keep his details accurate

Abbott... Well she just can’t repeat anything she has been told too accurately so gets caught out
I’m sure there is a role for her but it can’t be one where she is meant to remember anything
She also has her old “people’s republic” speech too which IMO alienated her from so many normal people

I've found this more and more since i returned to the forum. in several threads i have posted either research, academia or statistics to evidence my point, only for it to be batted away because of opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if someone proves your opinion is wrong, maybe do some research or look into the matter further, instead people just double down further.

I've found this more and more since i returned to the forum. in several threads i have posted either research, academia or statistics to evidence my point, only for it to be batted away because of opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if someone proves your opinion is wrong, maybe do some research or look into the matter further, instead people just double down further.

Blair eroded the trust in facts and academia after the Iraq war. So many people now do not trust what the establishment tells them.

Just a year ago nissan were going to leave Sunderland because of brexit. What actually happened was they decided to shut a factory in Spain.

Facts have been proven to be wrong over the last 20 years on both sides of the political divide. But quite often the working class particularly in the North have been told vehemently one thing against their gut instincts only for later those instincts to be proven right.

I trust nearly nothing any government says and i am very dubious of the motives of a lo6 of so called experts on twitter.

People are very selective in the studies they put forward as evidence for their opinions being fact. Would a pro immigration person put forward evidence from migration watch? Never and maybe with good reason, but there usually the sort of person who will put forward a report from a left leaning organisation.

As i said at the beginning it all started with Blair and the iraq war and the over politicising of public bodies.

Maybe you're posting poorly interpreted stats.

No such thing as a wrong opinion mate. If your hoping to prove opinions wrong, you’ll continue to be frustrated.

I rather like Marcus Rashford. Well done lad. And also happy to see a decision being changed for the better quite quickly at the top level of government

I rather like Marcus Rashford. Well done lad. And also happy to see a decision being changed for the better quite quickly at the top level of government

Wasn't this a thing since Easter? Folkes been calling for it since Easter hols with the government rejecting it until Rashford put it on the front page.

Wasn't it you who posted (with a straight face, I assume) the relative poverty stats the other day?

That should answer why your posts aren't gaining any traction.

No such thing as a wrong opinion mate. If your hoping to prove opinions wrong, you’ll continue to be frustrated.

Also opinion on people character is a matter of opinion, a lot of us also don’t live on google and this isn’t a University Paper.

I posted links to articles that I felt backed up my overall opinion on Lammy yesterday, but those links again can be viewed in the form of opinion.

There are many throw away comments and views on either side of most arguments, but abit like the call at the weekend when someone’s said far right hooligans were not condemned sometimes the truth is ignored on here too

To be fair you dismissed opinions based on hundreds of years of research by Egyptolgists because it didn’t match your opinions and you claimed no one cared on here about far right violence which was sandwiched by condemnation so everyone is the same mate.

I think and your post is proof, sometimes people have a blind spot based on their belief that feel their opinion or standpoint is in some way above others and you don’t judge yourself by the standards you mention.

As mentioned you have been a victim of your own high Standards mentioned

Wasn't this a thing since Easter? Folkes been calling for it since Easter hols with the government rejecting it until Rashford put it on the front page.

Boris Johnson has just said now, in the briefing, that he only became aware of the campaign today.
Even though it was being said first thing in this morning's ministerial media round that the government wouldn't be extending the scheme, Boris only heard about it today.

Boris Johnson has just said now, in the briefing, that he only became aware of the campaign today.
Even though it was being said first thing in this morning's ministerial media round that the government wouldn't be extending the scheme, Boris only heard about it today.

He was referring to Rashfords scheme no? It was only launched recently?

TBF they saw, they listened they U-Turned thats something?

He was referring to Rashfords scheme no? It was only launched recently?

TBF they saw, they listened they U-Turned thats something?

The letter to MPs was yesterday but I think he's been campaigning for a while longer. But yes, of course, the decision is a good thing. My post was more about Boris doing his usual bumbling and blustering when he doesn't know the answer on something and coming up with "I didn't know about it" (even though the government had a prepared response for this morning). He really doesn't inspire confidence (regardless of the topic).

Back