• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT *** Tottenham Hotspur vs Emirates Marketing Project ***

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p
A word I haven't heard too much of this season. Things have been going well. Really well. Bar our lack of cover up front, I can't think of a single thing to complain about. Here we are, in the top two in the second half of the season for the first time in my time as a fan, still in Europe, still in the FA Cup. The best defence in the league, the best goal difference in the league, only two goals behind being the league's top scorers. The football is attractive and fun to watch. There's a great atmosphere in the squad, full of young, hungry and likeable players, led by a classy and thoroughly likeable manager. What a time to be a Spurs fan.

And yet...I can't help but think that this is the weekend where it all goes tits up. Why? Because of that word. sexy. We all know what it means and what it symbolises. That knowledge that, no matter how well things are going, we'll find an impossible way to fudge things up somehow.

I'm sure I will hear some of you claim that THIS TIME things are "different". Like they supposedly were after we beat Milan at the San Siro and all we had to do was beat an awful Blackpool side to go third in the league. Or how we were 2-0 up and ten points clear of the worst Arsenal side in decades. How we'd done the hard bit in beating Chelsea 5-1 in the semi and had a tinkle easy final against Blackburn. I could go on. The point is, fans of my generation have been told that THIS TIME we won't screw up and that THIS manager is the Messiah so many times that we just don't buy it any more. It's all part of the sexy cycle.

Poch's record has been great. But, I would argue that he hasn't won a meaningful game yet. Don't get me wrong, he's won big games. He's won games against good teams. But not a meaningful game. Watching us thrash Arsenal, Chelsea, City and West Ham after the Sherwood era was fantastic. But...these sorts of games are not what I'm referring to. Winning a derby is great for the bragging rights, but that's all. Sticking four or five goals past the league leaders is also great, but again, not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about season defining matches that we know will have a huge bearing on our objectives as a whole.

There are only two games Poch has played that fall under this category. The League Cup final and Man Utd away last season. The cup final for obvious reasons, the United game because we had the chance to go level on points with them at the business end of the season in the race for the top four. We played well in the cup final but were well beaten in the end, whereas the six pointer against Man Utd was over within half an hour. Classically sexy. You could also argue the Leicester league game in January fell under this category too (although still a little early in the season to be truly meaningful). Again, we lost without scoring.

We don't win many games like this. The last one was three years ago when AVB beat Arsenal in March to put us seven points above them in the race for the top 4. And Sunday, is the first truly meaningful game of the season. Because up to now, it's been great plodding along, enjoying our football, doing what we're doing and quietly going about our business while Leicester distract everyone's attention as the shock leaders. But on Sunday, for the first time all season, we will be in a high pressure game against a rival in the title race. The season starts here.

What SHOULD happen is that we go there and batter them like we used to before they got the Sheik's money. I know that we've lost every game there since Crouch's header (the least sexy moment of the 2010s), and we've let in ten goals there in the past two seasons. But they haven't won back to back games since October 17th. They haven't beaten any of the top 6 this season (and have lost to four of them). They've been well beaten at home by West Ham, Leicester and Liverpool. Even if they won every game left this season they'd still have less points than the first time they won the Premier League. This is absolutely not a title winning side. Not only that, but our strengths of fast paced, counter attacking football, high pressing and being rough and tough are the kinds of things they've struggled with all season. Their manager also knows he's a dead man walking. They have a serious injury crisis. It seems a strange thing to say about a team that haven't dropped a point at home to us in the last six years and have been title favourites for most of the season, but a draw is a bad result for us on Sunday.

And yet...will we win? I think we will almost certainly lose. I'm not sure how. But we will. Why? sexy, that's why. Whether we feel the City backlash after the Leicester defeat, our players choke under the pressure, a poor refereeing decision, maybe Otamendi is going to suddenly morph into a £30m defender....I don't know. But we will.

Poch was my first choice from the start of the recruitment process. I have been thoroughly impressed by everything he's done. But if he's to be a true Tottenham great, he has to defeat sexy and win this weekend. Which he won't. You can give me all the logical reasons in the world why Poch is GHod and he'll find a way. But sexy trumps logic and reason. sexy didn't care that finishing in the top 4 gets you a Champions League spot. sexy didn't care that 72 points was our record and should get you a top 4 spot. If we are serious about being title challengers, and that Poch isn't just another con artist leading another false dawn, he will have to win the truly meaningful games like Sunday. And to do that, he'll have to do the unthinkable and overcome sexy.

Let's see what you're made of Mauricio.
This a brilliant post mate, but totally disagree with you, in the nicest possible way. I've never went for the hype in any of the teams we've had. There was always weakness, on the pitch or off, in ability or mentality.
But now, we can dream. Actually it's more than a dream, this league is Leicesters to lose and for all the media Arse licking and all the stats about the team at the top at this stage blah, blah, blah history is against a team like Leicester winning it. I'm not saying we will win it, but I don't see us doing a sexy. Why? I really don't know, I don't get hyped, excited and carried away but we are where we are because we deserve to be and there's a hunger to IMPROVE, not stand still and coast, not play it out and see what happens, but to improve. I look about and to me everyone fears us. The media is awash with articles about how you should play against Leicester, how nullify them. Haven't seen one about how to play against Spurs, NOT ONE. we've come on the inside riding the pantomime horse called sexy. No one has really noticed that actually it's not that panto horse now, DL has bred a young thoroughbred and snuck it in when everyone was admiring winners that have all turned out to be glue on legs.

I've rambled on a bit here, think the pressure is getting to me:oops:

Hit them hard and early. Press them, get at them and give them absolutely no time, if we do this, they will collapse in front of us. It's happened to them multiple times this season. They just don't deal with it, they need time and space to work the ball to Aguero. Get at them quickly and they just can't supply anything, our high tempo, pressing game is actually perfectly suited to hurt this City side.

3-1 Spurs. COYS!

A word I haven't heard too much of this season. Things have been going well. Really well. Bar our lack of cover up front, I can't think of a single thing to complain about. Here we are, in the top two in the second half of the season for the first time in my time as a fan, still in Europe, still in the FA Cup. The best defence in the league, the best goal difference in the league, only two goals behind being the league's top scorers. The football is attractive and fun to watch. There's a great atmosphere in the squad, full of young, hungry and likeable players, led by a classy and thoroughly likeable manager. What a time to be a Spurs fan.

And yet...I can't help but think that this is the weekend where it all goes tits up. Why? Because of that word. sexy. We all know what it means and what it symbolises. That knowledge that, no matter how well things are going, we'll find an impossible way to fudge things up somehow.

I'm sure I will hear some of you claim that THIS TIME things are "different". Like they supposedly were after we beat Milan at the San Siro and all we had to do was beat an awful Blackpool side to go third in the league. Or how we were 2-0 up and ten points clear of the worst Arsenal side in decades. How we'd done the hard bit in beating Chelsea 5-1 in the semi and had a tinkle easy final against Blackburn. I could go on. The point is, fans of my generation have been told that THIS TIME we won't screw up and that THIS manager is the Messiah so many times that we just don't buy it any more. It's all part of the sexy cycle.

Poch's record has been great. But, I would argue that he hasn't won a meaningful game yet. Don't get me wrong, he's won big games. He's won games against good teams. But not a meaningful game. Watching us thrash Arsenal, Chelsea, City and West Ham after the Sherwood era was fantastic. But...these sorts of games are not what I'm referring to. Winning a derby is great for the bragging rights, but that's all. Sticking four or five goals past the league leaders is also great, but again, not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about season defining matches that we know will have a huge bearing on our objectives as a whole.

There are only two games Poch has played that fall under this category. The League Cup final and Man Utd away last season. The cup final for obvious reasons, the United game because we had the chance to go level on points with them at the business end of the season in the race for the top four. We played well in the cup final but were well beaten in the end, whereas the six pointer against Man Utd was over within half an hour. Classically sexy. You could also argue the Leicester league game in January fell under this category too (although still a little early in the season to be truly meaningful). Again, we lost without scoring.

We don't win many games like this. The last one was three years ago when AVB beat Arsenal in March to put us seven points above them in the race for the top 4. And Sunday, is the first truly meaningful game of the season. Because up to now, it's been great plodding along, enjoying our football, doing what we're doing and quietly going about our business while Leicester distract everyone's attention as the shock leaders. But on Sunday, for the first time all season, we will be in a high pressure game against a rival in the title race. The season starts here.

What SHOULD happen is that we go there and batter them like we used to before they got the Sheik's money. I know that we've lost every game there since Crouch's header (the least sexy moment of the 2010s), and we've let in ten goals there in the past two seasons. But they haven't won back to back games since October 17th. They haven't beaten any of the top 6 this season (and have lost to four of them). They've been well beaten at home by West Ham, Leicester and Liverpool. Even if they won every game left this season they'd still have less points than the first time they won the Premier League. This is absolutely not a title winning side. Not only that, but our strengths of fast paced, counter attacking football, high pressing and being rough and tough are the kinds of things they've struggled with all season. Their manager also knows he's a dead man walking. They have a serious injury crisis. It seems a strange thing to say about a team that haven't dropped a point at home to us in the last six years and have been title favourites for most of the season, but a draw is a bad result for us on Sunday.

And yet...will we win? I think we will almost certainly lose. I'm not sure how. But we will. Why? sexy, that's why. Whether we feel the City backlash after the Leicester defeat, our players choke under the pressure, a poor refereeing decision, maybe Otamendi is going to suddenly morph into a £30m defender....I don't know. But we will.

Poch was my first choice from the start of the recruitment process. I have been thoroughly impressed by everything he's done. But if he's to be a true Tottenham great, he has to defeat sexy and win this weekend. Which he won't. You can give me all the logical reasons in the world why Poch is GHod and he'll find a way. But sexy trumps logic and reason. sexy didn't care that finishing in the top 4 gets you a Champions League spot. sexy didn't care that 72 points was our record and should get you a top 4 spot. If we are serious about being title challengers, and that Poch isn't just another con artist leading another false dawn, he will have to win the truly meaningful games like Sunday. And to do that, he'll have to do the unthinkable and overcome sexy.

Let's see what you're made of Mauricio.

It’s funny, after reading your very good post I went back and looked at that United game from last year. We lined up with Lloris, Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose / Bentaleb, Mason / Townsend, Eriksen, Chadli / Kane.

Only half of that team will start against City on Sunday in the positions they played back in March. Last season, our biggest struggles were defensive, relating to two places: our defensive midfield and the lack of a consistent partner for Vertonghen. Those were the things that cost us in that match, and those were the two things Poch fixed this summer — with the signing of Alderwiereld and by moving Dier into midfield.

Of course, these are the biggest matches of the season, but you only get to them by being consistent in the first 65% of the season. And while we may have fallen short in two matches last year, Poch has had one more year to mold a team that more in his image that is ready to compete against all the teams in the league in the biggest matches of the season. Victory or defeat will likely be decided in the game's fine margins on Sunday, but I feel confident that we will go there ready to compete. Whereas with Sherwood/AVB/Jol/some Redknapp teams passed, I'd go into certain matches hoping just not to get hammered. For the first time in my Spurs supporting life, I believe we can compete with any team in the division on any pitch, and that is a pretty good feeling.

Looking forward to this fixture. I think it will certainly be open from their point of view which might play into our hands. They are definitely going to try and go for it and that's why Kompany and Silva are playing because they are being rushed back to alter the mood and hopefully cause us a problem. Silva has a dodgy ankle and shouldn't be playing and Kompany is likely to be so far off the pace that he shouldn't be starting. I'm sure that Demichelis will be really boosted with the idea of being dropped to just accommodate an unfit Kompany into their back line.

If we stand firm early doors and really get stuck in then after 15-20 min's their fans will start getting tetchy and spoilt which is how they have been since the money poured in and that will transfer to the players on the pitch. Make the set pieces count, put the back line under pressure on and off the ball and be very physical with Silva and Yaya. Stick to that and we won't go too far wrong result wise come 6pm on Sunday.

I’ve lurked for a good while, set up an account a few months back, intended to post on many occasions but somehow never quite got around to it.

But something about this game, and the way our season is progressing, has made me take the plunge.

I am totally wavering about Sunday’s game, one moment absolute confidence that we can win it, meaning title contention becomes a reality, then reining myself in, even thinking such a thing is tempting fate; but, we are good enough; but then again, thinking, this is Emirates Marketing Project, they will turn up on the day and will be the victors. I am sure I am not the only one having these schizophrenic thoughts. One thing however that I am sure of is that the team will put in a good, strong performance, will keep on playing and pressing to the end. This is really the thing that I am loving about this team this season. They just don’t give up. They believe. And maybe we should too. Even if we lose (and I really don’t think we will), it does not mean the end of our season by any means. I feel so proud of what I am watching unfold. My expectations pre-season were top 6, but would ‘accept’ 7th as long as it came with signs of improvement/progress. Well, my expectations have been exceeded tenfold.

I have been supporting Spurs for 40 years. I am lucky enough to have witnessed our great cup successes of the 80s . Equally, I have lived the low points and witnessed (and I HATE this word) the “sexy” side of supporting this wonderful club. But I honestly don’t feel that, whatever happens between now and the season end, it will be “sexy”. We are beyond that now. Lurking on the match thread of TFC forum (good, but not a patch on GG), I was glad to be reminded of this interview with Eric Dier after our home tie with City.

I think it really shows the attitude this team have, and we should all be as affronted by the “sexy” comments as the team obviously are. We shouldn't be endorsing it. But in some weird way it is almost like a comfort blanket. Something we can rely on. But the time has come to give it up. #killspursy.

Anyway, Sunday : I think we will win. My question mark is whether we will keep a clean sheet. I am going for Spurs to win 2-1 or 3-1. COYS!

Right, thanks for reading my burble. Back to lurking. (Great forum by the way, the best Spurs forum IMO by a long way).

I have never experienced so much confidence in us winning a fixture as important as this. We certainly must be doing something right, thats for sure, but as SUIYHA brilliantly puts it for the older ones of us. It does seem we have been here before and thats why, for me, I can never get over-confident, brag to other clubs fans, because deep down there is always that nagging doubt, its all going to go 'Pete Tong'

I remember that night match at Blackpool, something like 24 shots to 9, but somehow we ended up 3-0 down before Pav got a late consolation. The chances to move up the league table only to lose 1-0 at home to the Hulls and WIgans of that current season (although this is becoming less often). It was so Spurs

Personally I would not be disappointed with a draw tomorrow, unless of course we had been 2 or 3 goals up late in the game. In fact I would happily take draws in both Super Sunday matches, but the Spurs in me tells me Clattenburg will be Clattenburg, so thats one dodgy decision going their way. Aguero is starting to bang them in again, so we will need to score at least 2 to win and Kompany has just become Lazarus, and will no doubt inspire his teammates to turn into some sort of Sky Blue brick wall when they had previously been made from sheets of A4 tracing paper.

For once I dont think a defeat will spoil my weekend (like it would have last weekend) as I class this as a 'freebie' and any points gained are an absolute bonus in our bid to finish in Top 4, which for me is the more realistic target, which in itself is a great achievement when normally I accept 6th place and a visit to Wembley make it a decent season.

Heart says a 2-2 draw. Head and previous heartache says a 3-1 defeat which includes a harsh penalty decision (remember they were awarded 3 pens last season!)

They will be distracted and dispirited by the furor around Pep.

They have been disheartened by getting trashed at home last week by Leicester.

They are in trauma having being trashed by US earlier this season.

Indeed, this moment is OURS ... can we take it ? THIS is one of many cup finals we'll facing leading up to season's end. I wouldn't want it any other way.

COYS !!! GEEEEEEEEEETTT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNN !!!!!

I have never experienced so much confidence in us winning a fixture as important as this. We certainly must be doing something right, thats for sure, but as SUIYHA brilliantly puts it for the older ones of us. It does seem we have been here before and thats why, for me, I can never get over-confident, brag to other clubs fans, because deep down there is always that nagging doubt, its all going to go 'Pete Tong'

I remember that night match at Blackpool, something like 24 shots to 9, but somehow we ended up 3-0 down before Pav got a late consolation. The chances to move up the league table only to lose 1-0 at home to the Hulls and WIgans of that current season (although this is becoming less often). It was so Spurs

Personally I would not be disappointed with a draw tomorrow, unless of course we had been 2 or 3 goals up late in the game. In fact I would happily take draws in both Super Sunday matches, but the Spurs in me tells me Clattenburg will be Clattenburg, so thats one dodgy decision going their way. Aguero is starting to bang them in again, so we will need to score at least 2 to win and Kompany has just become Lazarus, and will no doubt inspire his teammates to turn into some sort of Sky Blue brick wall when they had previously been made from sheets of A4 tracing paper.

For once I dont think a defeat will spoil my weekend (like it would have last weekend) as I class this as a 'freebie' and any points gained are an absolute bonus in our bid to finish in Top 4, which for me is the more realistic target, which in itself is a great achievement when normally I accept 6th place and a visit to Wembley make it a decent season.

Heart says a 2-2 draw. Head and previous heartache says a 3-1 defeat which includes a harsh penalty decision (remember they were awarded 3 pens last season!)
Me being one of the old ones (started since the 1980s), THE big difference is our defence this season.

Going back a few years, if we had a FIT King and Woody, we would had one of the best CD pairings in the country, nay possibly Europe. We got the Carling Cup beating l'arse and le chavs along the way, we had King, Woody, Keano and Berbs. Great times ! Shame we ended the season with a whimper in the league though.

Wimmer recently has stepped in nicely to fill in for Verts, our defensive record speaks for itself. I think as a team, we work so hard for each other. Poche has got us playing with purpose, clear structure and we are afraid of NO ONE. Yes, I do have some reservations - a bad call, an injury, a sending off ... this is footy after all, anything can happen. BUT I choose to think positively; we gotta press them hard, and take our opportunities when they arise. Nothing is for granted.

BELIEVE.

They will be distracted and dispirited by the furor around Pep.

They have been disheartened by getting trashed at home last week by Leicester.

They are in trauma having being trashed by US earlier this season.

Indeed, this moment is OURS ... can we take it ? This is one of many cup finals we'll facing leading up to season's end. I wouldn't want it any other way.

COYS !!! GEEEEEEEEEETTT IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNN !!!!!

I think we have 13 Cup finals left this season (fingers crossed maybe 15....)

One difference for me, and a big one, is that in previous years we saw the brightness of our play. We saw our ability to score great goals with style. We saw so much. And we hoped.

This time we've a much more solid defence and, although we can see the occasional imperfection and/or brain-fart, we can see that it is good. Pretty much the best around, although a slump in some of other more consistent defences helps when making a comparison.

Previous years have seen the "if only we scored more and conceded fewer" line touted, and now it is happening. Remember that the last 2 or 3 years we had not had a goal difference better than +4 at any stage in a PL season (can't be bothered to find the last time), so were always effectively a point behind the front runners.

So the big difference this time is that the chance is real. It is still only a chance, and we're 5 points off a Leicester side that is bubbling as much/more than us. Until a chink in their armour is exposed and exploited, they are favourites, but we are doing so much very well.

This game could see us reach up, or get dragged back - after which there will be another 36 points available (copyright Pelligrini). As for Woolwich, that will matter too, but our problem in recent years has been as much with the bottom 6 as the top.

COYS !

PS - Us and Leicester being in top 4 would kick out 2 regular CL teams. So not just what we gain, but what they lose. Eye(s) on the prize(s) folks !

Back