• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** OMT Tottenham Hotspur V Southampton **

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has Willian got to do with the debate about the deep lying back two in Scaras formation? As usual you try and characterise everything as being black and white, pro or anti AVB, when this has absolutely nothing to do with that at all.

The point was that Willian would possibly have provided the creativity and tempo-setting qualities that other targets (like a deep-lying playmaker) could have and that perhaps the transfer policy DID make sense but had more than one strand to it.

I take it you didn't actually raise issues at the time then?

btw when the transfers were taking place i said:

* Soldado would fail and is not the type of striker we need. I desperately did not want him.
* Capoue is not needed and i'd rather we keep Parker as the back up option...and save the Capoue money on a position we actually need (LB)
* I didn't see Chadli at all so i didn't make a judgement although i did say it was worth the risk considering the small amount we paid.
* I was very excited about Lamela.
* I didn't really get the Eriksen signing as i though we was going the 4-3-3 route....didn't cost much so wasn't against it ...just didn't really get it.
* Didn't see Invisibilinho much but did say that i wasn't particularly impressed with the little i had seen. Didn't make a judgement.
* never saw chiriches.

I agree with KD. If he was so keen on a Moutinho type of player, then why did he sign a box to boxer instead? If he wanted to pair both Moutinho AND Paulinho, in the back two in your formation, then where was he going to play Sandro and why buy Capoue? If he was so keen on a deep ball playing sitter to pair with Pauli, why didn't we buy one of those?

Whichever way you look at it, the transfer policy made little sense.

I'd have expected Moutinho to play as a playmaker a little further up the pitch - the way we played Modric when he was with with Hudd.

So Sandro would be the sitter, Paulinho the box to box and Moutinho the playmaker. Perfect midfield setup in my eyes.

gonna be a long afternoon if we cant match southamptons work rate

Having played midweek, we will have to win with talent. We won't match them for work rate all game. We'll inevitably tire second half. But look at Chelsea yesterday, they won their game in 20 minutes.

For 3 seasons at Ajax he played in the number 10 position leading them to 3 titles in a role as well as playing there for his country, so how come you choose not to play him in that position at Spurs? It is obviously his strongest position where he can express his creativity the best? Why stick him out on the left?

Actually, he mainly played as the left CM in a 433. He played as a #10 earlier on and a few times wide forward. I don't think Eriksen really has a "wrong" position as long as he's in midfield somewhere.

Actually, he mainly played as the left CM in a 433. He played as a #10 earlier on and a few times wide forward. I don't think Eriksen really has a "wrong" position as long as he's in midfield somewhere.

Agreed. In fact, he's looked pretty damn good on the left.

Cant see us winning today, but I do anticipate an exciting match. I think we really have to score first, if we concede the first goal we are in for a long afternoon

Can't speak for the first part, but agree fully with the second.

And yet when I watch both teams play I see different players giving them width. Maybe the difference is that they have a number of intelligent players that provide lots of movement, coming inside and also going down the flanks as well

Exactly. I've had discussions with people on here about the need for width to create space. Often the response is well Emirates Marketing Project don't play with width etc etc when actually they do. It's just that they don't play your stereotypical out and out winger.

We are going into this match in shyte form, being winless in 4 and only 2 wins in 8 matches in all competitions. It was really disappointing the way we lost out to Benfica in EL. Surely, we could have done much better with the players we have. Now, we have nothing but pride to play for in the remaining matches of the season. Have never been convinced of Sherwood's capabily as the permanent coach. Our shyte form recently has proven just that. There will be more questions asked about Sherwood if we don't win this match. But after the demoralising defeats to Arsenal and Benfica, it is going to be really tough to lift the team.

Looking at our poor form recently, it is really difficult to get excited about any single player. But the only player I look forward to watching nowadays is Eriksen. With 6 goals and 5 assists in all competitions, he has been one of a few players with some consistent form this season. In fact, he has been our most creative player as he has been involved with more goals than any other players apart from the strikers. But the main thing I like about Eriksen is his brilliant freekicks. His freekick techniques seems to be getting better in recent matches. Hope he starts and gets to score from another freekick or two. Was really annoyed Sherwood didn't start him against Benfica. Boom shaka laka a manager who knows how to get the best out of creative players like Eriksen.

Apart from Eriksen, just can't seem to get excited or motivated about other players. Maybe Chadli deserves some credit for his 2 goals against Benfica. But he needs to be more consistent when he gets to play. Wish Soldado can score some goals but won't be surprised if he doesn't. Wish our defence can keep a clean sheet but won't be surprised if we don't.

I think we badly need to win this match to get back to winning ways. Performance is not really important as long as we get a comfortable win. Being at home, there is no reason whatsover why we cannot beat teams like Southampton.

Any official team news yet ?

Boom shaka laka all our injured players back. But we seem to get so many injury problems under Sherwood. Wonder if that has something to do with his training methods. Want to see Eriksen starting and having a good match as well, especially scoring from his trademark freekicks. Will be really annoyed if we don't win this match.

Our home form is pretty rank this term: 16 goals in 15 games is dreadful.
Based on points per game we have the 8th best home record, and the best away record in the PL so far this season.

Any official team news yet ?

Boom shaka laka all our injured players back. But we seem to get so many injury problems under Sherwood. Wonder if that has something to do with his training methods. Want to see Eriksen starting and having a good match as well, especially scoring from his trademark freekicks. Will be really annoyed if we don't win this match.

Yep, before Sherwood we always had a clean bill of health within the squad, no sicknotes whatsoever.

And no...No official team news just yet, like every week.

Actually Chadli came out this season and complained about not being played in his natural position behind a striker, I cannot believe I was the only person that read that.

We bought Siggy from Swansea after he spent the whole season playing behind a striker.

Eriksen plays in the number 10 role for his country and most of the time in that position at Ajax.

He plays there for Denmark because its international football and country like Denmark has limited creative resources.
Alaba the Bayern left back plays as the creative force in central midfield for Austria.

Ajax have played 433 for generations so he hasnt played as number 10 for them. He's played as a false 9 out both flanks but usually in central midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back