• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT*** Tottenham Hotspur v Hull City, Saturday 1st February 15:00

Wow it's amazing how people see a football match so differently.

Benteleb was very good (the commentators agreed). He constantly asked for the ball, constantly played forward thinking passes, was very strong when in possession of the ball and held players off at ease, nearly scored too. His weakness is his positioning when not in possession but today it was good.

I'm gonna be honest here, he basically played in the centre by himself a lot of the time. Paulinho goes missing for large chunks in games, this is fact. Benteleb was doing an awful lot of work...and credit to paulinho, who unlike Soldado, at least poses an attacking threat.

Completely agree with you KingDawson

when things are going wrong you need a little bit of everything. width, individual imagination, creativity etc
i really want to see
paulinho eriksen dembele
lamela adebayor townsend

i think this ticks all the boxes and should serve us well.
paulinho and demeble if instructed and up for it are excellent defensively - paulinho has no problem gettin stuck in and dembele can run and tackle all day when he is up for it. eriksen in the middle is a no brainer. lamela inide right will bring the best out of him and townsend can provide the width for ade plus late runs from lamela (scored many like that for roma) and paulinho.

So you are total disagreement with all those who want a sitting defensive midfielder ala Sandro or Capoue.

The manager just can't win at the moment.

It certainly wasn't for the lack of a DM providing cover today as the reason we didnt win. By all accounts it was because our attacking players, especially Lennon and Soldado, weren't effective.

The only blame that can be attached to the manager today imo was that he made no changes. I would be interested to hear from him why he didn't.

I think we should have loaned out Bentaleb to Fulham, instead of Holtby. I maintain that Holtby is a better player than Bentaleb. What can Bentaleb do that Holtby can't do?

Play central midfield? Or how many times have you seen Holtby play that role for us in the league? I can remember one and he was no good at all. Bentaleb looks a lot better in that role.

So you are total disagreement with all those who want a sitting defensive midfielder ala Sandro or Capoue.

It certainly wasn't for the lack of a DM providing cover today as the reason we didnt win. By all accounts it was because our attacking players, especially Lennon and Soldado, weren't effective.

The only blame that can be attached to the manager today imo was that he made no changes. I would be interested to hear from him why he didn't.

Agree on all accounts...

(This is becoming a distinctly unpleasant and altogether too frequent situation;) )

paulinho and dembele can easily take turns to sit. paulinho was used in a full time sitting role for brazil even tho thats not his natural position and was one of the most important players. dembele with his energy and tackling can easily sit also. they are both all action which perfect for a 433

im more pro a sittin midfielder than anybody else i just see paulinho/dembele as that person where everybody else sees sandro. at some point in the game even defensive mids have to cross the half way line and thats when ability is needed (remember zakora? great energy but soon as he crossed the half way line he became useless) dembele and paulinho should be instructed to be discipled all action midfielders alternating when to sit and when to go forward. i cant think of 2 more suited players

Last edited:
Thanks. That thought just cheered me up quite a bit.

Same players. I said 4-3-3 though with Eriksen giving us a 3rd body and some more control in CM. That would also have given Lennon, Walker and Rose more licence to provide width.

I'd also probably have spent a bit of time on the training pitch teaching the players how to pass, press and play as a cohesive unit/to a system.

They already knew how to do that before those instructions got replaced with "run about a bit" and "shuffle across a bit".

Shame we couldnt eek out the win, really thought we were going to snatch it at the end, would have been such a boost.

What worries me the most is, have we completely wasted £26m. No doubting Soldado takes a great penalty, but ffs today he was well below-average. I really would have brought Harry Kane at HT

Passing and pressing were fine - better in fact.

Final third wasn't great, but we'll never get to find out if that would have got fixed.

It's beginning to look as if an out of form Soldado may have massively contributed to those final third issues too. I know you and I disagree on the moral hazard of playing a player like Ade, but I don't think there was much other choice.

Passing and pressing were fine - better in fact.

Final third wasn't great, but we'll never get to find out if that would have got fixed.

Passing includes the final third, actually if your passing doesn't get you into good final third positions then your passing isn't fine...

Pressing was very good at times, but also very inconsistent. Unsurprisingly not unlike what it's been like under Sherwood.

Not sure if its the manager thats crap or the combination of the players thats crap. Can't stand Rednapp as a person but he sure as **** knew how to get the best out of the players. Sherwood is no upgrade on AVB. That doe'snt say much apart from what the **** is Levy thinking now.

I am thinking the same. Although \AVB was lost...same could be forTim...and a Window transfer chances just flown by.

We could have got rid off chadli...perhaps Soldado ..if hes not up for it,,,STILL EARLY DAYS FOR TIM but the juries out for him...BIG TIME till end of season.

No players coming in and if he does not know what players to buy,,,he is sunk..and so are we frankly!

Why oh why have we spent so much on players who are simply not good enough or permanently injured or in the case of Lamela ..our most expensive signing ever ,,,,not even played!

It's beginning to look as if an out of form Soldado may have massively contributed to those final third issues too. I know you and I disagree on the moral hazard of playing a player like Ade, but I don't think there was much other choice.

There was a moment in the first half when Soldado came back to flick the ball and it ended up with a Hull player and his head dropped and shoulders sagged. Someone needs to find a way to get the man's confidence back. He is looking a lot like Torres when his confidence was super low - taking extra touches when he should shoot and mis-cueing decent chances.

Everyone is acting as if Sherwood not making any changes is the reason that we didn't win this game, when in all likelihood Chadli, Kane, Capoue or Siggy would have played just as poorly as everyone else and had no effect on the result. The alternative isn't automatically better.

The problem today was that most of our supposedly best attacking players didn't play well enough - in particular Soldado (£28m), Paulinho (£17m), Eriksen and Lennon. I'm not just going to automatically blame Sherwood for that, because I have no idea what goes on on the training pitch or in the changing room. The players have to at least take some of the blame for being poor.

Don't worry Scara, we know that you are well beyond the first sign of madness ;)

I'm quite sure "running a Spurs fan site" is up there in the double digits in terms of being a sign of madness ;) Nah, we all love you for it Scara!

With that sliver of positivity, I'm off to have some drinks. Enjoy your night ladies and gents!

Back