• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Totteham vs Swansea - Season Recovery Edition

I would just like to add that since the Stoke game, everytime i have worn the 3rd strip the day of the match and refrained from posting in the OMT until after the game we have won every game.

Andre: "Very important win. We wanted to get back to winning ways and to beat Swansea away is great"

"We started very well, in the end we had to fight hard. We showed the winning mentality we have"

"We created a lot and to do it away is magnificent"

"The ambition and power of the lads was on show today. It's a boost of confidence which we deserve"

"Jan did very well. He's doing what he did at Ajax; strong, bringing the ball out and making runs forward"

"We had to be tactically responsible today and we were"

Jan Vertonghen: "It was a good goal, you have to be a bit lucky sometimes but it was a great pass from Gareth"

"Swansea made it hard, they are a great team and we want to get back on a run"

Gareth Bale: "Massive win. We knew it would be difficult and it was but we did well to dig in and win"

"Great to link up with 'The Vert' and hopefully he'll great more goals! He's a great player"

Agree with this. It is a tactic and has cost us royally - Norwich H (and A in league cup), Liverpool A, Everton A, Wigan H - as well as several similar performances in the UEFA cup.

When will AVB learn and ditch this tactic.

Because it's also won us a brick load of points by completely shutting teams out and giving them no space to operate in.

Man United away, Liverpool at home. Today. Just off the top of my head.

I think AVB is a lot like Fergie in the respect that he has a preferred style of play, but happily adjusts in order to dig in and scrap when needed to take the points. If anyone saw the Sunderland game today Man United sat back for the last 15 and held on, Sunderland didn't really have a clear chance.

We may do it slightly earlier in games but I'd say it's mostly when we have a 2 goal advantage if we have it early. If it's a 1 goal we will usually still try and play the game a bit more in the opposition half if the situation requires it.

It is a tactic that's won us a lot of points, arguably more valuable points too because they've been wins against sides close to us. Even against Arsenal we defended deep for large parts. You can't just assume that by keeping up the high line pressing game for 90 minutes that the opposition won't find a way around it eventually because we will have left them more space.

Andre: "Very important win. We wanted to get back to winning ways and to beat Swansea away is great"

"We started very well, in the end we had to fight hard. We showed the winning mentality we have"

"We created a lot and to do it away is magnificent"

"The ambition and power of the lads was on show today. It's a boost of confidence which we deserve"

"Jan did very well. He's doing what he did at Ajax; strong, bringing the ball out and making runs forward"

"We had to be tactically responsible today and we were"

Jan Vertonghen: "It was a good goal, you have to be a bit lucky sometimes but it was a great pass from Gareth"

"Swansea made it hard, they are a great team and we want to get back on a run"

Gareth Bale: "Massive win. We knew it would be difficult and it was but we did well to dig in and win"

"Great to link up with 'The Vert' and hopefully he'll great more goals! He's a great player"

That is the quote I have been longing to hear about a Spurs side.

Because it's also won us a brick load of points by completely shutting teams out and giving them no space to operate in.

Man United away, Liverpool at home. Today. Just off the top of my head.

I think AVB is a lot like Fergie in the respect that he has a preferred style of play, but happily adjusts in order to dig in and scrap when needed to take the points. If anyone saw the Sunderland game today Man United sat back for the last 15 and held on, Sunderland didn't really have a clear chance.

We may do it slightly earlier in games but I'd say it's mostly when we have a 2 goal advantage if we have it early. If it's a 1 goal we will usually still try and play the game a bit more in the opposition half if the situation requires it.

It is a tactic that's won us a lot of points, arguably more valuable points too because they've been wins against sides close to us. Even against Arsenal we defended deep for large parts. You can't just assume that by keeping up the high line pressing game for 90 minutes that the opposition won't find a way around it eventually because we will have left them more space.

We were incredibley lucky to beat United - they slaughtered us in the second half. Liverpool, Arsenal and today we were also riding our luck to an amazing degree.

To fall back and just do last ditch defending and hope for the best has cost us more points this season than it has gained us on a simple cost benefit analysis.

When we are ahead we should go for the killer goal and snuff out all hope of an opposition come back imo. Instead. we take our foot well off the gas and are often punished as a result.

To compare AVB and Fergie is plainly rediculous. Man U attack teams from beginning to end.

We were incredibley lucky to beat United - they slaughtered us in the second half. Liverpool, Arsenal and today we were also riding our luck to an amazing degree.

To fall back and just do last ditch defending and hope for the best has cost us more points this season than it has gained us on a simple cost benefit analysis.

When we are ahead we should go for the killer goal and snuff out all hope of an opposition come back imo. Instead. we take our foot well off the gas and are often punished as a result.

To compare AVB and Fergie is plainly rediculous. Man U attack teams from beginning to end.

1. I would hardly say that we rode our luck against Arsenal. They created very little. We, on the other hand, spurned a number of gilt edged chances.

2. Man Utd attack teams from beginning to end? Really? Did you watch our draw against them a couple of months ago?

On Sky Sports News app, it said that we conceded a lot of late goals, but that's not something that we've been guilty of lately is it? I thought we barely conceded any goals now inside the last 15 minutes of games.

Any team in the world is going to be lucky winning at Old Trafford, the chances of you going up there and winning due to the being the better team over 90 minutes is almost nil.

We went through the middle part of the season without conceding at all in the last 1/3 of games.

To compare AVB and Fergie is ridiculous but not because of that. Ferguson has more trophies than AVB has years, indeed has more years in management than AVB has years. But if you watch a Man Utd game, if they've gone 1-0 or 2-0 up, there are some games where they will smash the opposition and attack relentlessly for 90 minutes and that is when they rack up the 4/5-0. There are however far more games when at a certain point they decide job is done and sit back for the rest of the game and lock the opposition out.

They do this because you can't have 60 games in a season where you're running around like a maniac for all 60 of them.

1. I would hardly say that we rode our luck against Arsenal. They created very little. We, on the other hand, spurned a number of gilt edged chances.

2. Man Utd attack teams from beginning to end? Really? Did you watch our draw against them a couple of months ago?

And today against Sunderland.

We were incredibly lucky to beat United - they slaughtered us in the second half. Liverpool, Arsenal and today we were also riding our luck to an amazing degree.

That is not correct. We were completely on top in the first half and in the latter part of the second half I cannot remember them having any chances. For sure they had great patch just after half time but we thoroughly deserved the win.

Any team in the world is going to be lucky winning at Old Trafford, the chances of you going up there and winning due to the being the better team over 90 minutes is almost nil.

We went through the middle part of the season without conceding at all in the last 1/3 of games.

To compare AVB and Fergie is ridiculous but not because of that. Ferguson has more trophies than AVB has years, indeed has more years in management than AVB has years. But if you watch a Man Utd game, if they've gone 1-0 or 2-0 up, there are some games where they will smash the opposition and attack relentlessly for 90 minutes and that is when they rack up the 4/5-0. There are however far more games when at a certain point they decide job is done and sit back for the rest of the game and lock the opposition out.

They do this because you can't have 60 games in a season where you're running around like a maniac for all 60 of them.

And when do we do this?

I think there is only one game in the league this season when we have won by three clear goals. The point I am making, is that by not continuing to press teams and attack we are ceding the initiative and it is very often costly.

Off the top of my head, late goals were conceded against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, WBA, Norwich, Chelsea, Wigan, City, Everton and Liverpool. Points lost 12.

That is not correct. We were completely on top in the first half and in the latter part of the second half I cannot remember them having any chances. For sure they had great patch just after half time but we thoroughly deserved the win.

Your partiality undermines your credibility. Sure we played well in the first half -but anyone that says we werent totally dominated in the second half with United squandering a huge amount of decent opportunites is watching the game through Spurs tinted lenses.

And when do we do this?

I think there is only one game in the league this season when we have won by three clear goals. The point I am making, is that by not continuing to press teams and attack we are ceding the initiative and it is very often costly.

Off the top of my head, late goals were conceded against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, WBA, Norwich, Chelsea, Wigan, City, Everton and Liverpool. Points lost 12.

Yep, well that's why they're top of the table, about to win their 20th league title (13 in the past 20 years) and we're fighting it out just to qualify for the CL.

I wish we did it but we don't. Its bloody annoying and its been a bit of a recurring theme through multiple managers.

Comparing us to Man Utd or AVB to Fergie is a bit silly tbh. We're going to drop silly points, as are the teams around us. Sometimes sitting back is a good tactic, sometimes (as with today for example imo), it isn't. Today, it just about worked. If we're up 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in the 75th minute, I really hope we don't fall back to the 18 yard line.

I think there is only one game in the league this season when we have won by three clear goals. The point I am making, is that by not continuing to press teams and attack we are ceding the initiative and it is very often costly...
Like we set ourselves up to do in Milan a couple of weeks ago? Didn't go so well then!

As they say on Away Days - "It's swings and roundabouts, innit?".

Yep, well that's why they're top of the table, about to win their 20th league title (13 in the past 20 years) and we're fighting it out just to qualify for the CL.

I wish we did it but we don't. Its bloody annoying and its been a bit of a recurring theme through multiple managers.

Comparing us to Man Utd or AVB to Fergie is a bit silly tbh. We're going to drop silly points, as are the teams around us. Sometimes sitting back is a good tactic, sometimes (as with today for example imo), it isn't. Today, it just about worked. If we're up 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in the 75th minute, I really hope we don't fall back to the 18 yard line.

That is precisely my wish too ;)

Just back at the hotel after the game.

We dont do easy do we? Really did not enjoy that second half, I was counting down the minutes from half-time because it was so obvious they were going to score.

At the end of the day a win is a win, and believe me after Arsenal won there 2 weeks ago, today was a massive win. 15pts from 7 games now in my opinion.

Cant wait for next week, Thurday night and Sunday afternoon, a nice little 4-day break in Enfield. Good times.

I suggest you re-read that. from a Utd point of view they had numerous chances in the second half, hit the woodwork twice and had several penalty appeals turned down (one of which looked nailed on). If that aint unlucky, I dont know what you consider is?

By Howard Nurse BBC Sport at Old Trafford
Spurs looked to be in total control after first-half goals from Jan Vertonghen and Gareth Bale gave them a comfortable advantage at the break.
But United, who were awful in the first period, hit back through Nani before Clint Dempsey restored Tottenham's two-goal advantage.
Shinji Kagawa immediately struck again for United as they poured forward in a bid to maintain their long unbeaten run against Spurs.
United pressed hard with substitute Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick hitting the woodwork and they saw several appeals for a penalty waved away by referee Chris Foy.

Tottenham stunned the vast majority of the 75,566 crowd inside two minutes when they took the lead after a neat one-two between Vertonghen and Bale.
United backed off and Vertonghen burst into the penalty area and evaded a half-hearted Ferdinand challenge before striking a low shot which deflected into the net off Evans.
It was a lead Spurs deserved as they took the game to United who barely had a touch in the opening 10 minutes.
Tottenham looked assured and totally in control with Dempsey and Mousa Dembele dominating in the centre against a largely ineffective Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes.
With United struggling to make any impression inside the visitors' territory, Spurs doubled their lead with a fabulous goal which sliced a hole straight down the heart of the home defence.
Dembele broke from the halfway line and slipped the ball to Bale who ran on and ghosted through the United defence before hitting a cool finish past Anders Lindegaard.
With Wayne Rooney on for Giggs after the break, United predictably picked up their pace as they went in search of a goal and it was not long before the game took an incredible twist with three goals in just 139 seconds.
United broke through when Rooney crossed for Nani to fire home from six yards but Tottenham immediately restored their two-goal advantage when Bale's fierce shot was only half-saved by Lindegaard allowing Dempsey to tap in.
A fifth goal followed seconds later as United swept up field and Kagawa slotted in their second from Robin van Persie's slide-rule pass.
United continued to surge forward and Rooney was unlucky with a sweetly struck free-kick which crashed back off the woodwork before Van Persie had an effort which was correctly ruled offside.
Tottenham had to dig deep into their defensive reserves as United, with Danny Welbeck on for Kagawa, pressed forward in search of an equaliser.
There were several penalty appeals, including what looked like a handball by Sandro, and a number of near misses as Michael Carrick's header glanced off the woodwork.
Tottenham took the sting out of United's forward runs and in the end they just about deserved their victory.

Back