• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: Lewis Holtby

whats that about £70,000 a week? i guess our wage ceiling is going up but the extra t.v. money should help.

There's actually probably a lot of space in our wage system due to the summer's activities - didn't we lose 12 players (13 now with Cudicini) and only bring in 6 or something?

King and Modric would have been our two highest earners too (and Rafa wouldn't have been cheap, though his were subsidised by Madrid).

You'd imagine Gallas and Parker are two other big earners who will be off the bill in the summer too, if not before.

My point was that he is going to have to undergo all of that anyway, surely it is better to bring him in now, let him settle for half a season whilst playing a bit part, before unleashing a fully settled player with 7 months experience of what I have highlighted come the start of next season.

It will be very difficult to at once find a player capable of replacing Dembele but happy to deputise him also. This is the main issue with buying a new CM for me - if they are good enough, surely they will want to start? Unless we sign someone in the twilight of their career.. if that isn't too 'Arry' for some!

I think it's better to bring him in the summer, when everyone is at the same level in terms of fitness and AVB and the rest of the coaching staff have the time to help a youngster adapt to new surroundings. From here on in it's all about the results and to attempt to blood in a youngster at this time of the season will cause issues. I can see where you're coming from, but I think he'd have a fairly torrid start to his Spurs career that wouldn't really help him in the long run. Better to let him play his football in Germany and then to come here and have a proper pre season.

And Schalke don't want him to leave seemingly.

Holtby played as an inside forward in a front 3 when on loan at Mainz the other inside forward being Schurrle in the 10-11 season and that's where he started to make a name for himself, whilst also being able to play in the central positions he would fit in with AVB's preferred 4-3-3 system.

Yep. He was very good as part of Die Bruchweld Boys at Mainz playing as a wide forward.

He hasn't played there in nearly two years though, he's been very central since returning to Schalke ... playing both in the hole (this year) and a bit further back (last year). He works very hard by the way, one of his best attributes. And he loves those same reverse through balls that vdV did. Very classy little player.

70k per week ?

i struggle to believe we'd be paying him anywhere near that

but then again according to the Scousers we're pay Sig 60k so i guess anythings possible
According to the Scousers Kenny Dalglish invented the telephone

From what I've read, while he can play out wide, it's not where we'll get the best out of him.

If reports are true, it seems that we'll sign him on a pre contract this month but that he'll stay at Schalke for the remainder of the season. I don't think that that makes him a "take a punt on a free type project", though. It would probably have more to do with Schalke preferring to keep him for the remainder of the season and therefore asking an unrealistic price to buy out the remaining six months of his contract. And if that was the case, there's no way that Daniel would play ball!

You're probably right.

Looks like the scum are after Holtby according to Ssn

We've always known that a number of English clubs have shown an interest. Hardly surprising, considering he's a young, German international on a free transfer. From what I read, Wenger merely confirmed, in response to a reporter's question, that Arsenal have looked at him - past tense.

All other reports - including those in Germany - seem to suggest that, if we haven't already signed him, we're now at least in pole position.

We've always known that a number of English clubs have shown an interest. Hardly surprising, considering he's a young, German international on a free transfer. From what I read, Wenger merely confirmed, in response to a reporter's question, that Arsenal have looked at him - past tense.

All other reports - including those in Germany - seem to suggest that, if we haven't already signed him, we're now at least in pole position.

Yeah, Arsenal were probably interested in him and have tracked his career. He fits the Wenger profile perfectly. Technically gifted, good movement, good stamina.

The thing about Arsenal is that this is a position in which they're quite highly stacked, when you factor in Wheelchair, Cazorla, Ramsey, Arteta, not really sure he'd be a priority for them at the package he'd be wanting.

Very true just thought mention it press like to ask these questions to try make up a headline like Arsenal rival Spurs for etc etc ..
Not seen any German reports so thanks for that

Club Confirmed:

"We're delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Lewis Holtby to join the Club in July from Schalke, subject to medical"

Re: Holtby done

We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Germany Under-21 captain Lewis Holtby to join the Club in July from Bundesliga side Schalke, subject to a medical.

The creative midfielder began his professional career with Alemannia Aachen and his impressive performances in the German second division soon caught the attention of a number of top-flight Bundesliga sides before he made the move to Schalke in the summer of 2009.

He enjoyed loan spells with Bochum and Mainz prior to making his breakthrough at Schalke. To date, he has made 75 appearances for the Gelsenkirchen-based club in all competitions, scoring 11 times as well as earning three caps for the senior German national side.

Great signing. Shame it's not now but I'm looking forward to watching him at the Lane next season.

Back