• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby to join in July thread

He sounds like a pretty versatile player, has played DM, CM and AM for Schalke(mostly the latter this season).

Re: Lewis Holtby

Is he any good? Where does he play?

I knoiw nothing. We didnt just buy him cos he played well one game against Arse did we?

Hello all,

I'm an S04 fan so I figured I'd register to clear up some of your questions etc

Also, I follow Tottenham in England and have been to WHL several times to see them play, so as I'm resigned to losing him I hope that he does end up at Tottenham.

-Someone said that he has played as a winger for us, and this isn't true. He played in the DM last year as a ball winning mid / deep lying playmaker (to use Fifa terms), though he was used on the wing on occasion for Mainz.
- He has been playing as AMC this year and been thriving in the role, but his favoured position is actually DM so Spurs could be signing him with a view to playing there (perhaps in the 4-3-3 formation
- I have seen the website stating he is a good dribbler / likes to dribble and I don't know where this has come from, he is not a player who runs with the ball much. He is capable of beating a defender, but 9 times out of 10 he will play the pass or a through ball.
-Many have been saying 'is he good enough to start' and 'is he an improvement on the current squad' and the simple answer is yes. I think it's likely that we will see Sandro/Parker, Dembele and Holtby playing behind Bale, Lennon and Defoe.
-Don't expect Moutinho to sign as well they take up the same position.
- His playing style is most similar (though I hate to say it) to Wheelchair and Modric though he is a better ball winner than both of those
- I would expect him to sign a pre-contract deal also given how much we all know Levy likes his bargains, plus Schalke don't want to be rushed into making signings in January and would rather take until the summer to scout out a replacement and January deals aren't common in the Bundesliga.
- Also someone said that he didn't play well against Arsenal and isn't quick enough. Though he wasn't at his best he did still play well against them, at least in the second leg (2 assists - I was there - see attached picture

and sometimes a player who thinks quickly is better than a player who runs quickly and that is what Lewis offers.

Of course, Tottenham are the best team in England to watch without doubt, haven't missed a game in years. If I was to compare Holtby and Sigurdsson I would say Holtby is probably a lot more rugged and isn't afraid to do the 'dirty work' ie tracking back, putting in a challenge and doing his defensive duties. Holtby is able to play further back where as I would say Sigurdsson only really thrives in advanced positions. They're both good passers of the ball and that's probably their best attributes but I can see Holtby fitting into Spurs' lineup better than Sigurdsson has so far despite the fact he hasn't got premier league experience.

As someone else said, Holtby is perhaps more of a replacement for Parker, so though players like Parker and Sigurdsson will hopefully welcome the competition, it'll be difficult for them to get in the starting line up ahead of Lewis I would think - he is German under 21 captain after all

I just hope Freund's German connections will help see the deal through and though he hasn't coached Holtby directly I'm sure he's well aware of his talents, and apparantly Freund even said regarding Holtby - "By all means we are a club with great interest".

The biggest competition for his signatures I would imagine would be Everton because of his well publicised support of them but they're yet to make an offer I believe!

As for his wage, I don't think he rejected our €50,000 offer because he wanted more money. Schalke fans have been expecting him to depart at some point as he was quoted as saying that he wanted to play in England as soon as he was good enough and his progress has been very fast so this isn't a surprise. It's why I didn't get him on the back of my shirt but hopefully maybe I can get him on a Spurs one instead!

2 good feet, decent in the air, can slot a through ball + he can tackle, current German international (no mugs in that current squad !) -----> Price ? £0 !

Me is excited !

some mug of a journo from the times has just tried to pass him off as a left winger and made out it means bale is off in the summer....

Decent signing, we're going to need a few midfielders if this 'switch to 4-3-3' should occur..

Apparently is playing more DM at the moment, so I hope he isn't wrongly looked at as the reason for Moutinho not coming in now.

I think bringing in the German U21 captain on a free is a pretty damn good move, really happy with it and also happy he's coming in the summer so will start on the same level as everyone else on the same pre season and have time to gel. I haven't seen him enough to fully judge him but if he's as good as the majority seem to be saying I think this will be a really clever transfer. This is the kind of transfer we need to make if we are to qualify for champions league, having a bit more depth and different options when the games come thick and fast.

Definitely bringing up the average attractiveness in our squad as well if I do say so myself \o/

If I were him, I would push to join Spurs now to do whatever I can to make sure I will be playing in the Champions League next year. However, Levy might not be willing to spend the money.

Or his current club might not be willing to let him go?

Because it's confirmed, I'll lock this thread down and merge it with the "Official" one in SN & V.

That was the Transfer forum one I merged into here, ok?

Apparently is playing more DM at the moment, so I hope he isn't wrongly looked at as the reason for Moutinho not coming in now.

I think bringing in the German U21 captain on a free is a pretty damn good move, really happy with it and also happy he's coming in the summer so will start on the same level as everyone else on the same pre season and have time to gel. I haven't seen him enough to fully judge him but if he's as good as the majority seem to be saying I think this will be a really clever transfer. This is the kind of transfer we need to make if we are to qualify for champions league, having a bit more depth and different options when the games come thick and fast.

Definitely bringing up the average attractiveness in our squad as well if I do say so myself \o/

Do we need Moutinho? He is very similar to Dembele all the way down to his inability to score goals. He is not a playmaker in the mould of Modric either.

Versatility is always excellent news, evidence for being a good overall footballer IMO as well (just look at the Mouss, he has played pretty much everywhere in midfield and attack during his career and chose to play at CM because he sees the ball more there). If Holtby is effective in many midfield positions he will be a better signing for £0 than Moutinho would be for £25m+ which quite frankly could be better spent on a striker, back-up for Lennon or a different sort of CM to the industrious box-to-box type we already possess.

Cheers for posting that write up on him Rossi :)

Seems to me that we've secured a good player for free. Happy days \o/

Interesting to hear him described as so competitive, will be a real plus to have a properly versatile player in the squad. I wonder if this means we're done with central midfield signings for now. I really would have liked to see an option to Dembele brought in this January.

I'm happy that we have signed this player, though I hope we're paying him less than £60k a week,.Any thing substantially over that would apparently put him on a par with some of our top players, which seems wrong and might cause unrest.

2 confirmed transfers and the window has only been open 4 days :eek:

Do we need Moutinho? He is very similar to Dembele all the way down to his inability to score goals. He is not a playmaker in the mould of Modric either.

Versatility is always excellent news, evidence for being a good overall footballer IMO as well (just look at the Mouss, he has played pretty much everywhere in midfield and attack during his career and chose to play at CM because he sees the ball more there). If Holtby is effective in many midfield positions he will be a better signing for £0 than Moutinho would be for £25m+ which quite frankly could be better spent on a striker, back-up for Lennon or a different sort of CM to the industrious box-to-box type we already possess.

I'm not sure we do, I've seen Mouts play like twice so can't really say. I'm really happy with this transfer though, it shows how we've become an attractive place for young talent to come and play. But I will be concerned if no player bar Zeki is bought in this window, it's all rosy at the moment but it does just take one injury and we're either having to adapt to accomodate two ball winners in Sandro and Parker, or just pray that Huddlestone does eventually come good. Neither of those options give me much optimism in terms of champions league qualification...

Absolutely delighted with this. German U-21 captain speaks for itself, but he does seem to be real quality and the Schalke fans vouching for him is good news.

The other thing is, he fits perfectly into the vision AVB seems to be creating, in that he likes his players and especially midfielders to be versatile and be able to play right across the park. In Holtby's case, he will be able to play deep and pick the ball up from defence but will also be able to impact the game further forward. This is absolutely ideal for the short passing gameplan an d getting the ball out of defence. Dembele makes a massive difference when he plays because of his fluid style, the ability to pick the ball up deep and carry it forward.

It will mean we should be adaptable against all forms of approaches against us. If they want to push on and press us, we have players sitting deep who are comfortable on the ball and can carry it forward under pressure. If teams want to sit back, Holtby seems to fit the mould of a player who can play incisive passes to feet that should mean we will be able to break them down easier. Really excited about this signing, and how our entire squad will look.

The versatility too, is excellent. Hopefully this will mean if we lose a key player, either to injury or to a sale, we won't be buggered and forced to totally alter our gameplan in order to compensate. Dempsey and Dembele can both play a variety of positions through the midfield and are comfortable doing it, and Holtby also fits this mould. We are building a squad of real team players that can do a multitude of jobs for the good of the team. Missing one key player who won us games because of his individual freedom and flair that he showed shouldn't be the bugger it was last year now.

Spurs reps flew out to Doha to meet with him and his agent, Schalke are there for winter training. The personal touch makes all the difference.

Back